5.0 out of 5 stars Does As The Box Says - And Does It Perfectly
Published on 12 Jan 2009 by Gadget Man

3.0 out of 5 stars Sling Media Slingbox Pro
I am happy with my purchase of the Slinbox Pro in that it does the minumum that you might hope for but no more.

In use over a home network the picture quality is OK but not fantastic, even on my home network which is 100Mbps.

Published on 7 Oct 2009 by Dave M

5.0 out of 5 stars Does As The Box Says - And Does It Perfectly, 12 Jan 2009
Gadget Man (East Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sling Media Slingbox Pro (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
I bought this slingbox to watch my Sky+ at another TV in the house (using a Sling Catcher) as well as to be able to watch Sky+ on my laptop when I am travelling on business. The setup was really simple to say the least and everything worked first time. Quite often a good piece of technology is let down by poor software but this is not the case here - the Sling Receiver program is really slick and even the remote access via internet is a doddle. I had to fiddle about with my Netgear router a bit but easy to follow online instructions made this very easy.

I used a pair of Zyxel 200Mbps homeplugs to connect the Sling Box in the sitting room to the Router in my study and this worked fine. The picture streams at 3000Kbps in the house so no problems here.

So now I am sitting in my hotel in Bosnia and watching Sky+ which is especially good because there is nothing else to watch here on TV ! All very cool really. What is really clever is that the internet connection isn't exactly super fast (220kbps) but the picture and sound work fine without any jittering or interruptions.

Only problem is my wife is watching a documetary on the Sky+ at home so I can't watch Sky action movies ! No problem though, I'll buy a Slingbox Solo to connect to the second Sky Box in the bedroom - problem solved. The Sling Player will allow me to connect to either box.

So all in all a slick gadget and very useful if you travel on your own and want to watch English TV overseas. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gadget and brilliant back up, 24 April 2008
I was quite nervous about buying a Slingbox but really wanted to keep in touch with our sport whilst abroad - particularly having missed the Rugby World Cup whilst in Kentucky and not being able to watch our horseracing.

I bought the Pro because I wanted to be able to watch either Sky or DVDs and be able to upscale to HD when I've bought a SkyHD package. Also I thought if I was going to all this trouble I wanted the best one!

I drilled a hole between my lounge and study (where my router is) and thread an ethernet cable through - hoping that this would give a better stream than wireless.

I also had to buy a router splitter box because my Netgear router only had one Ethernet port but this was cheap and obviously simple. I've now got 5 more ports for future gadgets!

I then just loaded the software and was up and running - able to watch my TV on the study computer and able to change channels as well.

I also loaded the software onto my laptop whilst at work. I did have some problems here but rang the free Slingbox helpline and the people were absolutely great. You allow them access to your computer over a weblink and they quickly reconfigured my netgear modem for me (to allow remote access) and now I'm up and running. I didn't need any tech knowledge - they did it all for me in a few minutes one evening - all for free.

This is a brilliant product and if you want to watch your TV on your travels I can recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sling Media Slingbox Pro, 7 Oct 2009

Over the internet the quality is determined by your UPLOAD speed which will be considerably lower than your download speed. Don't expect anything nearing HD quality unless you have an UPLOAD speed nearing 10Mbps which is very unlikely. If you are accessing the box via a slow internet connection then the quality is poor.

Beware the HD claim. The box does not accept an HDMI input only component video. If you are not connecting it to a piece of equipment that has component out then you might as well get the cheaper version. A cable is supplied that you connect your component out to which then connects to the HDMI port on the SlingBox. You cannot directly plug HDMI into the box.

If you want to stream to another TV then you need a PC connected to that TV running the Sling Player software or buy a Sling Catcher at extra cost.

The product is easy to set up.

The product is OK but you need to consider carefully what you are ecpecting from it before buying one to avoid disappointment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why I chose the Pro over the Solo?, 4 Nov 2007
Budd Margolis "TV Shopping & eComm Expert" (London, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
GREAT PRODUCT! Slingbox products work well, are easy to set up, the software application are easily downlaoded and configured and it provides a quality streaming experience and image.

I have slinged US TV to London, Seoul and Moscow and have just set up the Slingbox Pro so I can sling UK TV when I am travelling. Quality is always dependant on the broadband speed you are receiving.

The new versions of the Slingbox handle higher streaming speeds that provide better quality.

When you are away from home or in another room and are watching Sky, every channel change you makes affects the main or connected TV. What tilted my purchase towards the Pro was the ability to tune in both my Sky digital TV and Freeview channels. I can now watch Freeview without affecting what people watch on my living room main TV.

Besides occasional viewing on my home PC, I have loaded the player on my son's laptop.

Both devices offer HDTV connectivity but the signal is reduced so its not as HD as one might think.

After some research and measurement, I decided to feed a 10 metre CAT5 Ethernet cable between my home office, where the wireless broadband router is, through two walls (I already had a passage for the broadband cable), and into the living room. This was a cheaper solution to adding a Wireless-G Ethernet Bridge 802.11g device or home plug (fast data transfer over existing household electrical circuit) system.

I was surprised at first to have to attach two separate black plastic strips with adhesive tape to my sky box in order to remotely control the TV. But once I installed it, which took all of 1 minute after I used a flashlight to identify exactly where the remote receiver bulb was, I forgot about it.

NEXT? Ultimately, I want to be able to watch web streamed video content on my TV. The Sling Catcher is due for release in the UK soon so maybe early 2008 I can start watching the HD web streamed content on my TV. Watching the internet video streamed on TV is a much better experience than the PC. You usually sit further away and the TV is made to improve images!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great potential, shame about strange support system., 10 May 2010
A. Korsner "Adrian Korsner" (London England) - See all my reviews
What could be better than being able to watch your own recorded TV, like on a SKY Plus box or any hard disk recorder, from anywhere in the world. If you have a home abroad, like I do and you want to watch TV in English without the expense of a local satelite subscription, this is for you and what is more it really does work. Its a brilliant concept. Quite simply you plug any video device you care to into the Slingbox and the Slingbox into your router at home and after the setup process (not to difficult but good help on line or by phone) all the video content becomes available on the internet and you can access it on your laptop. What is a real bonus is your ability to watch the TV on your laptop anywhere in the house too or even from your desktop. (downside is its either/or and only allows for one connection at a time). Don't ask how it works, it just does! In function it is just like having your laptop or computer turned into a fully fledged TV. There is a frustrating problem in that although the Slingbox contains a full freeview tuner, Slingbox have not written a program to enable you see any kind of a program guide and it doesn't tell you what station you are watching. Seems they have a program for other countries but not for the UK. You can live with it but being used to being able to know what you are watching or what is on next or later, its rather frustrating. They ought to be able to sort that one. I bought the product and set it up as best as I could. I had problems but Slingbox customer services held my hand and got me going. Its a slightly different set up getting the box working remotely on the internet from working on your home network. Loved the product very clever. The first time I went away and used it, it worked like a dream. I was able to annoy my wife by changing the channel she was watching at home from 1000 miles away. Sadly, after a couple of days it all stopped working and the software could not find the Slingbox and thus could'nt log on and I could not watch the TV at all. I called Slingbox and they checked out everything for me and said that there was a problem at home bacause they could not log into the machine themselves. They needed to know how many lights there were showing on the machine and obviously I could not tell them. I sent my son round to the house, just to make sure the Slingbox (and the house) were still there since the most dreadful things go through your mind when you are told "no box present". My son did the usual (unplugged the power counted to thirty and plugged it in again). Lo and behold everything was working again. A couple of days later, I lost it again but since I was due to return home, I left it until I returned. A quick reboot and everything was hunky dory again. I emailed the problem to Slingbox expecting them to have the answer but I just got a rather cynical reply saying they knew what the problem was but I would need to pay to get the answer as the 90 days of free assistance, which I apparently was entitled to, had just expired. I thought it was a bit mean as I had not been able to check the remote functioning until the 85th day after purchase.
I think my problem stems from the foreign server being slow and my impatience in waiting for a response from the remote. You tend to keep pressing the buttons until you get a response and I think that just scrambles the machine. Would not be so bad if you could reset from home but you just lose the machine and have to wait till you get home before you get it working again. I am not sure if I'm right in my assertion, Slingbox won't tell me and I don't want to pay just to be told that. I'll try it again on another trip away and hopefully be on a faster line.
In conclusion its a complex product that works really well but its easily manageable with help from the company. Trouble is that help could turn out expensive. Its such a good product and the initial help so good that when you hit problems, the fun goes out of the ownership, frustration sets in and the Slingbox goes out of the window.

5.0 out of 5 stars V+ Update, 16 Dec 2008
C. Noon (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I dont normally bother writing reviews but I was almost put off buying this product by the 1* rating review about it not working with Virgin V+. After further investigation I thought I'd take the risk and glad I did.

My set up is a V+ box, connected via HD componant cables to the Slingbox PRO

Although slightly time consuming to set up, as this was due to my previous experience from other "to good to be true" gadgets. I took installation slowly. Within two hours of taking it out the box, neatly cabling and downloading the latest viewer I was up and running.

Works an absolute treat. On other websites/forums it was mentioned that the official V+ remote image was not available but this could be solved by selecting the Telewest TVdrive remote. I am glad to say that the latest revision of the software includes the V+ remote.

I have it installed on the Mac in the study and two PC laptops. I have also downloaded the Windows mobile client for my HTC Touch PRO and it works a dream (within a wifi or 3g coverage area).

To sum this up, it works, out of the box, brilliantly. A genuine A+ product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Genius, 28 May 2010
I bought this to transmit British TV to a holiday home in Portugal, using the internet. I chose this model because the freeview channels are built in and I don't need any other boxes. It works! The quality of the service is based on the quality of the internet connection in the UK, the quality of the internet connection in the country where you will be watching the TV, and the processing speed/graphics quality of the lap top you are using to watch the TV.
If you are going to use it for this purpose here are some hints based on my experience.
The sling box needs to be sited at an address in the UK where you have a good broadband internet connection. In the event that the sling box might need re booted someone in the UK needs access to it when you are not there. I solved this by installing it in my daughter's house.
I set mine up using my laptop whilst I was in the UK and made sure it was working before I went abroad with the lap top.
Once you are abroad, it is easy to log in to the sling box and get all the TV channels on the lap top. Changing channels is easy and you can find out what is on by logging in to Freeview's web site and getting the programming list. You can connect your lap top to a widescreen TV using the appropriate cable and it is just like watching TV in the UK. In most programmes the picture and sound is good but you can experience mild fluctuation if the internet speed dips. It is not so good for watching some of the fast moving sports as the picture seems to have difficulty sometimes keeping pace with the action. So bear in mind that although we have a good broadband service in the UK, the end result will depend on the quality of the internet service at your foreign location. I am glad I bought the sling box because I can now watch 30 plus channels of rubbish that is at least in my mother tongue!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing product - but only 3 stars for set up, 3 Feb 2009
Claretta (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I've only had the Slingbox for two days (bought for my mum to use in Italy) but it seems pretty miraculous. What worried me before I bought it was how tricky the set up process would be, and so for anyone who has similar worries, here it is.

The Slingbox comes with a pretty brief instructions manual, which is good as you don't have to wade through pages of explanations. All the cables etc are well illustrated. What is slightly baffling is the way they explain connecting to your a/v source - it's laid out so that it looks as if you have to use all the different means of connection, rather than just one, so I spent quite a while puzzling over that until I worked it out. Simply putting in a line of text saying 'Only use ONE of these methods' would solve that (or maybe I'm just being dense).

Once I'd worked that out, I managed to get the picture up and running quite quickly. However, getting the remote control to work was beyond me and I rang the Helpline. It took several goes to get through, and then an age (probably 15 minutes) before I got an operator, but from then on it was plain sailing. The Helpline is based in Holland and the operator could not have been more charming or helpful (or spoken better English, naturally.) He struggled a bit with my modem (there was some glitch, apparently, but he managed to fix it). I see other people have commented on how good the Helpline is - hats off to Slingmedia for employing such good people.

All in all I must have spent a couple of hours setting it up, but if it hadn't been for the glitch in my modem it might have been simpler. But it wasn't the nightmare I had feared.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hurrah for the Underdog !!!, 6 April 2008
We've all been disappointed by the Big-Boy manafacturers, and sometimes even cheated (eg: I'll personally NEVER buy Phillips again!); so spending so much on a product by someone we've never heard of must be a worry.
Especially if the product looks so wierd!!! (I was never a fan of Space 1999).

However, buy with confidence.

Once you hold the product in real life, you'll love the style, it's a real 'designer' icon, and makes the glossy gadgets it'll stand alongside, look 15 years out of date.
Set up is very easy, but remember to push the Remote Control cable-jacks in fully (till you hear a little click).
I foolishly bought an American spec model on Ebay, and paid the price for trying to save money. But even then, the Customer Support were extremly polite (& that's a strong 'plus-point' in my opinion, it buys my loyalty).
So Amazon got my order for the 'real' McCoy.

I was watching my tv on my laptop, via my wireless router, within 15 to 20 minutes.
It's very user friendly, and you don't need any pc skills to set it up. You even control your input (eg: my Telewest/Virgin Media Cablebox), via an on-screen remote control that matches my 'real' remote control.

I've not worked out how to view my tv over the web yet, or how to view the built-in Freeview, which I believe it has, but I don't fear this. As soon as I want to look into that, I don't doubt it'll be a sinch.
(Although I've tried, and failed, to set up the Mobile Phone viewing on my O2 Orbit XDA Windows Mobile 5 mobile phone... maybe it's not compatible? I may need to ring them on that one).

Viewing full-screen on a 15" laptop is ok (not dvd quality, but I knew not to expect this), whereas when you reduce the screen size, it improves.
I've gone for the higher spec model, as I hope it will be a bit more future-proof, and therefore save me money in the long run.

I wish I was this happy every time I spent my money.

5.0 out of 5 stars SlingBox Pro, 21 Jun 2009
Works as advertised. Easy to set up. Comes with all the cables you need. Built-in tuner works fine in mainland Europe. If viewed remotely, as opposed to on local LAN, picture and sound quality very much dependent on ISP speeds at each end -- 600 Kbps gives perfectly acceptable quality. In my experience, picture is superior if viewed on a TV (preferably using S-Video connection)rather than on a PC screen.

In summary, recommended.