5.0 out of 5 stars An impressive bargain
Published on 5 Dec. 2007 by John

3.0 out of 5 stars PS3 Eye Toy
It works well and gives a good picture.
Focus is also good considering the distance/size of the room.
The mic is quite sensitive, so bear this in mind when finding a location for it.
My only issue is that the foot/mount isn't very flexible.
Unlike 'webcams' that are made to sit atop a monitor, Sony have omitted a decent stand.
So when it comes to...
Published on 22 Feb. 2011 by Mr Leon Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars An impressive bargain, 5 Dec. 2007
John (Erfurt, Germany (expat)) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Sony PlayStation 3 Eye Camera with EyeCreate (PS3) (Video Game)
This is already out in Germany and I've used it to video chat with friends in the UK. The PSN chat is easy to set-up and even people without a camera will see and hear you on their TV. The overall build quality is very good. The in-built microphone works very well- I sat three meters from the TV and my friends could hear me very clearly through their TV. I will also use this for online gaming in future. I was delighted by the quality of the picture- it's much better than any mobile videophone service you may have seen. Twenty five pounds for a free high-res video-phone can't be bad can it?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great accessory, 28 Dec. 2007
A. Langdon (Dartford, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
After watching people posting up their videos of Singstar i was hooked so i had to go out and get it. This item is an absolute gem and i hope Sony include it in the future as part of their ps3 packages. I got it on day of release from amazon for a pretty reasonable £25 or so.

The camera captures in 640x480 and is useful in a number of games and other options and also includes a high quality microphone. When you first connect the camera the only fuction which will operate so you will need to use the xmb to activate the microphone function if you wish to use it. I personally have it turned off because if its active and attached it shows up as you having a microphone in games like COD4.

There are a number of games availble to purchase from the playstation store. I have the one where you need to rescue the blurps by moving yours hands. The camera on the whole is pretty accurate at picking up movement but can make the odd mistake which can be a little annoying.

In games such as singstar it randomly takes shots of you singing and also a 30sec or so clip so you can upload it if you wish which adds to the expierence. At this time of the year its nice to capture films of family making a fool of themselves :) I havent tried the video call feature yet but that is another use of the camera (6 way video chat).

This is well worth getting.

**update** there is now a guide available which shows you how to hook the ps3 eye up to your pc so you can use it as a webcam if you wish. In addition with some of the new games coming out like buzz this game works well and adds an extra bit of fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great instead of blutooth headset, 17 Aug. 2008
J. Irving "PS3 FANBOY" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this camera a few weeks ago and it's great! I bought three games from PSN and they are great fun with the camera. When you wave your arms infront of it the camera picks it up so well, even the tiny movements. And lets not forget the built in microphone. I use it for online play and it works fine, if you have this you do not need a headset as the mic is great. The software you get bundled with it is also a great piece of kit. 5 STARS

4.0 out of 5 stars Great quality camera with future possibilities, 21 Aug. 2009
R. Johnson "r_johnson194" (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
First off, this is a nice camera, looks good, has a good quality image and picks up voice for online chat surprisingly well.

There are currently a few games for the PS3 that utilise this camera, but there are more on their way (the eye pet looks particularly promising). And with Sony stating that this camera is capable of face recognition and understanding user moods then it looks like there could be some exciting things round the corner for this.

My only complaints are that there's not a huge amount of software that makes use of it at the moment, and I also feel that the price is a little high.

Altogether though, if you're looking for a camera for the PS3 then this is the sensible choice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Blinded by the lights, 25 Feb. 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
No real complaints about the camera, it does what it is supposed to. Although I got mine bundled with The Eye of Judgement game (which I will never play) for less than the Eye on it's own and your can download Eye Create for free from the PSN Store.

However, the blue and red indicator lights on the Eye are far too bright. I took small two white circular sticky labels and coloured them in with a black indelible pen and stuck them over the lights. Just enough blue and red light seeps through too see what is going on with out being distracting :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely webcam, shame all the software for it is pitiful, 1 Mar. 2009
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
If you consider this product as a webcam it is pretty much flawless, works as it should. Sadly it isn't just a webcam so I have to get negative: the bundled software (EyeCreate) is, ahem, politeness forbids. Unfortunately all the titles which require the Playstation Eye are similarly woeful particularly for the lack of integration with the PS3 operating system. In particular avoid Mesmerize and Aqua Vita, neither include the ability to use them with the PS3's music playing capability making them screensavers rather than visualizations. Neither title will captivate you for long without a tune playing. Trials of Topoq is quite pretty and mildly interesting but compared to other PS3 titles I'd have to say it was half baked.
On the plus side, software wise, I've found that the integration with Buzz Quiz TV is quite good, building an album of Carry Out Quiz photos as you play.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Impressed, 25 July 2009
S. Adams "samkuro" (UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
When I ordered this product I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it actually is, I am really impressed, and have thoroughly enjoyed being able to chat with friends, and for it to be so clear. Yeah so this is easily the best £24.99 I have spent in a long time. I would highly recommend this product :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for PS3 & PC, 9 Mar. 2014
This camera for PS3 is good for Video calls, and can be used as the microphone while playing games too, instead of using a headset.

It can also be used with a PC as a webcam and mic, but you do need to search online for the right drivers.. but I use it on my PC and it works great.

The mic built into this thing is especially good quality, does very nice voice calls.

BTW, currently the PS4 does not support this camera (I did try it) It is possible that maybe they will add a driver for it in the future but I think this is unlikely as they have a new PS4 camera for the new console.. So this one is PS3 and PC only..

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun, 25 Dec. 2007
Andrew Moss "ACM" (Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I got the Playstation Eye for Christmas and as soon as I got going with it, I was not disappointed. It is very easy to setup the quality is unquestionably good for such a cheap camera. The special effects are classy and there's plenty of them to use. However, what I loved most about it is you can view what's on camera using your PSP anywhere around the world providing you're hooked up to a WiFi internet connection - so it is possible to have video conversations with a PSP owner or you could even use it as a security camera for when you go on holiday!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, but very cheerful!, 17 Sept. 2014
This 'webcam' is cheap and it's video quality and resolution is also fairly cheap BUT...

I bought this to turn it into a head tracking camera for Opentrack (a free bit of point tracking software), this camera will operate upto 180fps!!! gives a very smooth tracking system and if faster than trackir as that's only 120fps. Oh and did I mention how cheap it is! my head tracking setup has cost less than £20 including this camera and a monitor mount, thats ~£130 cheaper than trackir!!

Sony PlayStation 3 Eye Camera with EyeCreate (PS3)