5.0 out of 5 stars Addiction at it's worst
I've never played a civilisation series game before, so I was a little cautious when approaching this item, especially with its low cost. But after reading many a good review about it, I decided to buy it, and I must say that it is now by BEST PC game!!

Published on 15 Jun 2010 by Azakajam

1.0 out of 5 stars I tried to love this game but epic fail - just like the game!
Am I the only person who found this game a load of old pants?!

I am a huge fan of strategy games, such as Total War, Age of Empires etc. I have heard great things about this game so I thought I would give it a go, yet after 3 hours of playing I don't see what the hype is about!

A few bad points are:

- The game menu layout is stupid and...
Published 1 month ago by J. M. Osguthorpe

5.0 out of 5 stars Addiction at it's worst, 15 Jun 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Complete (PC DVD) (Video Game)

Don't let the low minimum requirements fool you, its great even at the minimum requirements. It's graphics are top notch, and it's not glitchy or slow either (even with a load of things on the map). The Price is well worth it, I got it from Amazon, and I must say that its the best game I have purchased from them so far.

WARNING: This game is highly addictive! I got it in the post at half ten, installed it by eleven and played on it until three! Time flies by when playing this game, and you can never tell how many hours have passed when playing it, but to counter this the game has a VERY handy alarm option. In the options menu you can set an alarm to go off in a few hours as to not lose track of time.

The in game help was very helpful, as it tells you how a building would develop a city/country and what it would do etc. You can either make a country centred around economy, religion, military or science/culture, or a mixture of all. It takes almost everything into consideration, your people's and the other leader's disposition towards you, economic depression, religious wars etc. Also the game has a turn based system which I LOVE, since it reminds me of final fantasy and other such RPG games, but also because it gives you time to make decisions.

My only "peev" with this game is that it annoys me how a spear man unit for example can kill a tank unit, but oh well, it made me laugh at first, but then annoyed me when things were serious, but that's nothing big

I've only played this once so far (well twice if you want to include my nooby first attempt), but I still think that this game deserves a 5 star rating, due to its depth and addictiveness. I urge the person who is considering to buy this item to buy it! It's definitely worth the cost and will kill many hours of boredom!

That's all for this review, I wish you luck in your decision on buying this product, Happy Gaming!

5.0 out of 5 stars This could be the greatest PC game ever!, 5 Dec 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
The problem with most games is that they end, and become just a fond memory. The problem with most strategy games is that after a while playing them, they beome a routine, even monotonous.
Not so with civilization 4! This game is a world in it's own right. You get to control all of history, and live it your own way. There's almost nothing that you can't do.(involving many famous leaders, religions, science\technologies....)
The game is literally infinite in posibilities!
What I really like is that you can play the game according to your own personality and still win. If you want to be warlike you can be warlike. If you want to live the whole of history without a war, you can if you want. Unlike most strategy games, for once here you feel truly in control. You play by your moral rules.
It's also the most worthy game ever, being very educational and responsable when it comes to relating element of history.
And don't forget that this game is also loads of fun and pretty easy to get the hang of.(unlike most strategy games)
The only down side is this: How on earth is anyone ever going to make a better game! This truly is the pinacle of video gaming!
So, if you've got a brain and like games that make use of said organ, then buy this game and let you brain boogie!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game...on Win 7 as well, 12 Aug 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Just in case anyone is wondering whether to get this game due to potential problems with installing and updating in Win 7....Don't worry. I have Win 7 X64 and ATI radeon 5870 and game installed and updated fine.
The only thing I would suggest is to install it to a custom directory ( C:\games\civ 4) as I believe that the default location is the cause for some of the problems with win 7 based systems.
After you install it run "beyond the sword" and go to "advanced menu" and click on "check for updates"...it will then download the only update you need as the 1st 2 games are currently patched. Just go into the BTS folder and look for "patch" folder then run the patch. You will then be able to play this fantastic game in maxed out settings.

5.0 out of 5 stars My most played PC game, 4 Dec 2007
C. Fletcher - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Having previously enjoyed Civilization 2, I was somewhat pessimistic as to whether Civ 4 would genuinely improve a classic strategy game, or if it would be full of gimmicks that detract from the overrall experience. I can honestly say that the game has improved in just about every area, with far better graphics, many more buildings and world wonders, far more diverse characteristics within each civilization in the game, and, generally, the game has moved on to the next generation. The final expansion pack did upset the difficulty balance somewhat (it's not nice having to resort to the lower difficulty settings now), but other than that I have no complaints about the best (and most addictive) strategy game around.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the nay sayers!!, 26 Feb 2010
This game is truely brilliant.
Before buying it i read many reviews (most of them very positive), however there where the odd negative one. After taking both positives and negatives onboard i decided to purchase the game and was not disapointed. If you like your stratergy games then you will love this. I played the Civ games back in the mid 90s (the early Colonization game being a fond memory) and this game, in my humble oppinion this game is worthy of all the accolades given to it...give it a try and lose hours/days of your life (in a good way!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Works on Windows 8.1, 4 April 2014
I recently replaced my aging XP laptop with a nice new one running Windows 8.1 only to find that my original individual copies of Civ 4 and its expansions did not work. Seaching arround on compatability websites I found reports that this complete edition did work with Windows 8.1 so I took the plunge and I can confirm that with one exception all is well and the game runs very nicely.

The only thing to watch for on Windows 8.1 is that no icons or short cuts are created by the install, you need to find the install directory and creat these yourself. This is a one of activity though and does not detract from a great game.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the ultimate strategy game. With all the add ons this is one of the best games of all time., 21 Mar 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Civilization is beyond addictive. Civilization is addictive like your kid's smile, or crack cocaine- this will keep you up nights, this will have you thinking about it when you are not playing it, it might become an obsession. It is a dangerously compelling game. When in the middle of a big game I think about strategy and future plans even when i'm not playing it, this is the most involving game i've ever played. Not to mention that is incredibly fun!

I believe this is not just the best strategy game ever. No, this- Civilisation IV Complete, is one of the greatest games of all time. The two add ons Beyond the Sword and Warlords add so much to the package it is now nothing short of a classic and a bench mark in game quality. Civ IV complete is the consolation for everybody disappointed with Civ V (who isn't?) with Civ V they've lost sight of what made Civ IV great, no big deal eh? We can all go back to Civ Complete and who was bored of it anyway? I'm not, it flirts with perfection- it isn't perfect nothing ever is, but is is a fantastically engaging world, look up 'immersion' in the dictionary and there is a picture of this game. It's the best pure strategy game I've played.

Graphics- ***** Sound/Music- ***** Game play- ***** Lasting appeal- *****

4.0 out of 5 stars Great all-in-one set, 5 April 2009
Bart van Engelen (Rotterdam, The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Civ IV is not only the most recent, but arguable also the best, Civilization game to date. This set is itself is very handy in it's installation of the entire package with all add-ons, all one one DVD, all installed in one instance. Even a proper manual and tech-tree poster are in the package. (those become increasingly absent these days and often simply get shoved onto a PDF on the disk)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for relaxing, 31 Jan 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I wasn't sure whether or not to buy this game because I had played on Civilization 3 for a while and that was most proberly one of the best (if not the best) relaxing game ever. I played on it when ever I wanted to relax but didn't want to be stuck at the screen trying to complete a level like in most games.

So I brought this game and found out it works on windows vista which a lot of games don't so I was very happy. But it didn't just meet Civilization 3, it went past it. The graphics are very good, there a more options to choose from with loads more civilizations (in beyond the sword). One thing which was great about it is that it gave real life problems.

This game is worth the money and at about £10 its cheap, plus with all 3 expansion packs you can't get much better then this. It beats all the other Civilizations, it is a must have game if you want to chill out.

5.0 out of 5 stars What's The Point ???, 14 Dec 2010
Scottie (Worcestershire, England) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I'm sorry but when someone writes a review on a game stating "What's the point" I have an obsessive desire to point out that the point of any game is "fun". What do you expect to achieve by playing a video game - to become a great mathematical philosopher? The point of a video game is to relieve the stress of general life by doing something meaningless yet fun.
And I have to add this game is a brilliant way of doing so, the graphics are good, gameplay is intuitive and at higher levels of gameplay the game is quite challenging. If you look at all the other reviews on this page you will receive much the same conclusion - The game is very good. If you are looking at this game because of the negative reviews on Civ5 then my advice would be to definitely buy this instead. Frankly Civ5 is a reasonable game but made little development on top of this other than graphically and most people consider any progress that has been made as backwards. All in all it is a better game and the price difference makes you ask the question "Why not?"

Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Complete (PC DVD)
Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Complete (PC DVD) by Take 2 Interactive (Windows XP)