Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Complete (PC DVD)
Price:£7.40+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 15 June 2010
I've never played a civilisation series game before, so I was a little cautious when approaching this item, especially with its low cost. But after reading many a good review about it, I decided to buy it, and I must say that it is now by BEST PC game!!

Don't let the low minimum requirements fool you, its great even at the minimum requirements. It's graphics are top notch, and it's not glitchy or slow either (even with a load of things on the map). The Price is well worth it, I got it from Amazon, and I must say that its the best game I have purchased from them so far.

WARNING: This game is highly addictive! I got it in the post at half ten, installed it by eleven and played on it until three! Time flies by when playing this game, and you can never tell how many hours have passed when playing it, but to counter this the game has a VERY handy alarm option. In the options menu you can set an alarm to go off in a few hours as to not lose track of time.

The in game help was very helpful, as it tells you how a building would develop a city/country and what it would do etc. You can either make a country centred around economy, religion, military or science/culture, or a mixture of all. It takes almost everything into consideration, your people's and the other leader's disposition towards you, economic depression, religious wars etc. Also the game has a turn based system which I LOVE, since it reminds me of final fantasy and other such RPG games, but also because it gives you time to make decisions.

My only "peev" with this game is that it annoys me how a spear man unit for example can kill a tank unit, but oh well, it made me laugh at first, but then annoyed me when things were serious, but that's nothing big

I've only played this once so far (well twice if you want to include my nooby first attempt), but I still think that this game deserves a 5 star rating, due to its depth and addictiveness. I urge the person who is considering to buy this item to buy it! It's definitely worth the cost and will kill many hours of boredom!

That's all for this review, I wish you luck in your decision on buying this product, Happy Gaming!
on 5 December 2009
The problem with most games is that they end, and become just a fond memory. The problem with most strategy games is that after a while playing them, they beome a routine, even monotonous.
Not so with civilization 4! This game is a world in it's own right. You get to control all of history, and live it your own way. There's almost nothing that you can't do.(involving many famous leaders, religions, science\technologies....)
The game is literally infinite in posibilities!
What I really like is that you can play the game according to your own personality and still win. If you want to be warlike you can be warlike. If you want to live the whole of history without a war, you can if you want. Unlike most strategy games, for once here you feel truly in control. You play by your moral rules.
It's also the most worthy game ever, being very educational and responsable when it comes to relating element of history.
And don't forget that this game is also loads of fun and pretty easy to get the hang of.(unlike most strategy games)
The only down side is this: How on earth is anyone ever going to make a better game! This truly is the pinacle of video gaming!
So, if you've got a brain and like games that make use of said organ, then buy this game and let you brain boogie!
on 12 August 2011
Just in case anyone is wondering whether to get this game due to potential problems with installing and updating in Win 7....Don't worry. I have Win 7 X64 and ATI radeon 5870 and game installed and updated fine.
The only thing I would suggest is to install it to a custom directory ( C:\games\civ 4) as I believe that the default location is the cause for some of the problems with win 7 based systems.
After you install it run "beyond the sword" and go to "advanced menu" and click on "check for updates"...it will then download the only update you need as the 1st 2 games are currently patched. Just go into the BTS folder and look for "patch" folder then run the patch. You will then be able to play this fantastic game in maxed out settings.
on 21 March 2011
Civilization is beyond addictive. Civilization is addictive like your kid's smile, or crack cocaine- this will keep you up nights, this will have you thinking about it when you are not playing it, it might become an obsession. It is a dangerously compelling game. When in the middle of a big game I think about strategy and future plans even when i'm not playing it, this is the most involving game i've ever played. Not to mention that is incredibly fun!

I believe this is not just the best strategy game ever. No, this- Civilisation IV Complete, is one of the greatest games of all time. The two add ons Beyond the Sword and Warlords add so much to the package it is now nothing short of a classic and a bench mark in game quality. Civ IV complete is the consolation for everybody disappointed with Civ V (who isn't?) with Civ V they've lost sight of what made Civ IV great, no big deal eh? We can all go back to Civ Complete and who was bored of it anyway? I'm not, it flirts with perfection- it isn't perfect nothing ever is, but is is a fantastically engaging world, look up 'immersion' in the dictionary and there is a picture of this game. It's the best pure strategy game I've played.

Graphics- ***** Sound/Music- ***** Game play- ***** Lasting appeal- *****
on 4 April 2014
I recently replaced my aging XP laptop with a nice new one running Windows 8.1 only to find that my original individual copies of Civ 4 and its expansions did not work. Seaching arround on compatability websites I found reports that this complete edition did work with Windows 8.1 so I took the plunge and I can confirm that with one exception all is well and the game runs very nicely.

The only thing to watch for on Windows 8.1 is that no icons or short cuts are created by the install, you need to find the install directory and creat these yourself. This is a one of activity though and does not detract from a great game.
on 19 July 2010
If you are reading this then you will almost certainly like the idea of turn based strategy games, so that being the case Civ 4 is just about as good as it gets right now, at least until Civ 5 is released in October 2010.
This game offers tremendous value for money with a massively in depth range of historical era's and difficulty levels to be selected. You can explore a randomly generated map or develop the civilisation of your choice on a large earth map. Britain can belong to Saladin's global Islamic empire or the whole of Europe and Africa can be ruled from Nottingham, the choice is yours.
The balance and feel of this game is just right, you can win by war and territorial expansion, by cultural developments or through the development of advanced technology. There are so many aspects to this game that it never becomes tedious or repetitive. The only real drawback to Civ 4 is that it is highly addictive and you could easily write off whole days playing it so just keep an eye on the time!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 26 February 2010
This game is truely brilliant.
Before buying it i read many reviews (most of them very positive), however there where the odd negative one. After taking both positives and negatives onboard i decided to purchase the game and was not disapointed. If you like your stratergy games then you will love this. I played the Civ games back in the mid 90s (the early Colonization game being a fond memory) and this game, in my humble oppinion this game is worthy of all the accolades given to it...give it a try and lose hours/days of your life (in a good way!)
on 6 August 2012
Civilzation IV Complete is the most comprehensive world-builder of all time. There are none to compare to the depth and variation of this absolute masterpiece.

Comprising economy, warfare, religion and wonderment to a computer game without offending any species/race/lunatic is an achievement without peer.

Buy this game. Seriously, but it. But be prepared for it to ruin all other strategy games for you, they're unplayable after Civ 4.

The series (from Sid Meier's original Civilization right through to Civ 4) is perfection personified.

Be warned that it often won't function properly on Windows 7 systems!!

Also be warned that Civilization 5 is a travesty, simply the worst world-builder of all time, and is to be avoided like the proverbial plague. Buy Civ 4 and pray that someone comes up with Civ 6 before Civ 5 has destroyed the incredible legacy Sid Meier never could have imagined he'd create.
on 4 December 2007
Having previously enjoyed Civilization 2, I was somewhat pessimistic as to whether Civ 4 would genuinely improve a classic strategy game, or if it would be full of gimmicks that detract from the overrall experience. I can honestly say that the game has improved in just about every area, with far better graphics, many more buildings and world wonders, far more diverse characteristics within each civilization in the game, and, generally, the game has moved on to the next generation. The final expansion pack did upset the difficulty balance somewhat (it's not nice having to resort to the lower difficulty settings now), but other than that I have no complaints about the best (and most addictive) strategy game around.
on 2 September 2011
I bought this game to replace my old Civ 4 and decided to upgrade to Civ 4 Complete, and love it! If you are a Civ fan you will spend hours playing this game, like I do. If you are not familiar with Civ then please note - It requires at least THREE hours of your life to play one session / scenario, be aware of time take a break as it is very addictive and make sure you balance your life. I find the best time is when the family are watching one of many current banal TV programmes.

When first installed, the game did not have all three games working correctly, on the second, third and forth installation it kept crashing my PC. The way I go round this was to create another user account and made sure to install with no web updates.

Enjoy.