5.0 out of 5 stars So worth the wait...
Published on 6 Jun 2006 by Susan Westlake

3.0 out of 5 stars Nighwish - "End Of An Era" DVD + 2 CD set
Published 15 months ago by J. R. Wilde

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars So worth the wait..., 6 Jun 2006
Susan Westlake (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: End of An Era: Live (Audio CD)
Ever since the live album was announced I have waited with much anticipation for it. Now that I finally got it I just want to say that this double cd/dvd is incredible. A great compilation of songs old and new and they played so well that night, the sound crystal clear and more powerful than the studio versions, Tarja can pull off every note live flawlessly and better yet her Finnish accent comes out much more in the live performance making it slightly different and in my opinion more personal to her. The songs themselves are generally replicated very well though several have been slightly altered/extended, 'ever dream' for example has a very haunting extension of the piano introduction and is slowed down while 'nemo' for example is a lot heavier and a few of the musical interludes have also been extended. The dvd is also incredible, the visual quality is terrific and the band members are all hugely dynamic and lots of stage affects going on like flames and confetti so it is quite a sight. I was lucky enough to see their last performance with Tarja in England ever, for all those who never saw them live prior to this, it is the closest you will get. Not just any live album with imperfect versions of studio songs with dodgy vocals (coughoasiscough), after Greenday's 'Bullet In A Bible' this is the best live album I have ever heard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tarja bows out with style in this excellent concert, 28 May 2008
This is a must buy if you are a fan of Nightwish. This is the complete final concert to feature Tarja as the singer (the band fired her after this tour). Some bands disappoint with their live performances, Nightwish never do, their enthusiasm and passion for the music really comes through.

The sound quality is fantastic with the mix on some of the songs, such as Siren, sounding better than on the `Once' album. There is a good range of songs, although there is a leaning towards the Once album, their most recent album at this time - but this is no bad thing as Once is arguably Nightwish's best album.

Stand out songs for me are the beautiful live versions of Siren, Phantom of the Opera and the sublime Sleeping Sun.

This set also includes the DVD of the concert which has an interesting documentary showing the band on tour. The music quality is excellent as you would expect, but it is a very poorly filmed concert with lots of faraway shots of the stage and irritating zooming in and out in time to the drum (especially during Wish I Had An Angel). That said it is still a fantastic concert and the only way to see the band and Tarja doing what they did best. Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 28 Nov 2008
This is a brilliant DVD.

This is of Nightwish's last tour with Tarja. It's actually the bands last gig together, and although the band knew this, Tarja, of course, did not.
As soon as the gig ended, the band handed Tarja a letter asking her to leave.
You can see in Tuomas' face that something is wrong, but he, and the rest of the band, really are playing as if it's their last gig together.
The energy is fantastic.

A great set list, and a guest apperance from John Two Hawks.

It always makes me a little sad to watch this knowing Tarja was leaving.
The documentary is very good and the band really let you in. It's pretty long!
You can really tell things aren't right with the band and i think it's very brave of them to let you see this.

Really is a must for any Nightwish Fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic, 29 Jun 2006
J. A. Briscoe - See all my reviews
This review is from: End of An Era: Live (Audio CD)
I have only owned this album and DVD for 4 days and have already watched the DVD 3 times. The concert is superbly filmed and recorded and every camera angle is perfect. Each song is superbly performed, especially the phantom of the opera, which sends chills down my spine every time i watch it! The cover of high hopes is also excellent, and sounds as powerful as it did when i saw nightwish in manchester last year. Any nightwish fan should buy this album and DVD set. It is simply the best live recording ever created and even beats Iron Maidens Death on the Road in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars NIGHTWISH LIVE SUPERB, 18 April 2010
Mr. P. K. Smith "Marv" (Nottingham, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I am new to Nightwish this dvd is superb makes you want to get of your arm chair and shake you head and jump around the room.
This is what all live dvd's should be like I play it regular love it.
Tarja what a voice what a lady and I wish her the very best for the future.

I WISH I HAD AN ANGEL

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant reminder of a classic time, 10 April 2010
Brian V. Burford (UK) - See all my reviews
I'm a late comer to Nightwish, I came across them through their song based on Dee Brown's book, Creek Mary's Blood. However, this release is excellent value. A great performance on DVD and you get the audio CDs as well.

Nightwish's combination of rock, opera and orchestration - obviously inspired by film scores - is an exciting mix. But its the vocals of Tarja, who was asked to leave after this show by all accounts - that makes Nightwish special. Plenty has been said about her departure and having heard the new singer, Nightwish are now just another rock band. Like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden, how long will it be before they realise that they've lost that magic ingredient and get Tarja back? Roll on the reunion!

This show has a lot of energy and their songs take on an even more powerful dynamic live. Highlights include the aforementioned Creek Mary's Blood, with a spooky spoken word part from Lakota native John Two-Hawks, Bless the Child, the epic Ghost Love Score, and brilliant Ever Dream. My only criticism, and its not just Nightwish who do this, why cover others artists' work? Their rendition of Gary Moore's Over the Hills and Far Away is quite good, mainly because its swept along by the concert's atmosphere, but their guitarist, plainly a good player, doesn't seem to be comfortable with Moore's licks and hooks. If I want to hear Gary Moore, I'll put on the Irish guitarist, and I'm sure Nightwish have others songs in their catalogue they could have performerd - The Carpenter perhaps? And we get Highest Hopes too, which again, is a Dave Gilmour composition, fairly good, but then i was never into Pink Floyd.

But don't let that put you off, they're just slightly below par tracks that are out of rack compared with the rest of their fantasy-lead, tragic love song epics - Sleeping Sun and Sirens are fantastic.

This really is the climax to a very interesting and powerful era for Nightwish. I'm going to explore more from this group with this vocalist, but in the meantime, End of an Era is a splendid reminder of the classic era for the Finnish band. No matter what they do with the new singer, Annette, they will forever be trying to match this period until Tarja is back. Until then, enjoy this!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fitting And Beautiful End., 10 Sep 2006
Samhein (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: End of An Era: Live (Audio CD)
When you hear the first echoing riff as Nightwish burst into Action on this album, you can do nothing but stop everything and listen intently. Nightwish have power, and genius that is so beautifully cast in songwriting. i personally cannot imagine the world without them. the live tracks are perfectly done, with added extras that make us admire them all the more with regards to their musical abilities. Stand out tracks include 'Sleeping Sun', 'The Kinslayer', 'Creek Mary's blood', (which actually features John Two Hawks, the native american musician who sang and played on the same track on ONCE) and Finally their awesome cover of 'High Hopes'. As always the duets with Tarja and Marco cannot help but send shivers up your spine...they are wonderful in every way, as are the performances from Tuomas, Jukka and Emppu.

In foresight, we cannot help but notice the height of emotion present all the way through, and we can not help but wonder if those present felt the sheer beauty within what would be Tarja's last show. I can only call this album a landmark, one that will be beautiful until the end of time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nighwish - "End Of An Era" DVD + 2 CD set, 5 April 2013
J. R. Wilde "eclecticJez" (Herfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I must confess that I bought this very much from the recommendations of other purchasers, though I had made a note to listen to the band anyway. To some extent I feel that I lost out by not being particularly familiar with the band in their heyday - whilst the DVD was enjoyable, it was obvious that this was a swansong performance. It would definitely appeal to fans of the band who knew and enjoyed their music at their heights, for me it fell a little flat. Sorry to any fans but, whilst I'll play the DVD and CDs from time to time, they won't be first on my list to hit the player.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a concert, 2 July 2009
R. Dalton "Hotrod" (uk) - See all my reviews
If you like Nightwish this DVD is a must see AND you get the CDs to listen to in the car too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodness me..., 12 Jun 2008
S. Russell (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
How amusing that Formula 1 motor racing brought me to this juncture. I saw a You Tube video with 'Sleeping Sun' credited as the the music. The rest is history. I can only say thank goodness for me I bought this DVD/CD set. Absolutely sublime in almost every way. Such a huge pity I didn't discover Nightwish before these very few last weeks. I've missed out on so much...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

End of An Era
End of An Era by Nightwish (Audio CD - 2007)