Format: Audio CDChange

on 13 October 2008
I have had this album for a little while but deliberately refrained from reviewing it immediately. As with all of Ms Scott's albums, this is like a fine wine. Leave it for a bit and after each listen it gets better and better. When I first listened to it I thought this album was a little too mellow, but having divorced her long-time partner that's no surprise really. She IS a tad graphic on songs like 'All I' (one of my favourites... it's perfect for lovers), but she is speaking of the feelings felt when in love and not just about sex. I LOVE Jill Scott. She tell's it like it is and with the ups and downs of life I can't see JS running out of stories to share with the world. Hopefully Ms Scott's recent engagement will give her plenty of good things to sing about. Jill Scott is by far one of the best female vocalists alive. You go girl!
VINE VOICEon 2 January 2008
OK. Confession time. Firstly I'm not what you would call a Jill Scott fan. I have none of her previous CDs Who Is Jill Scott? Words and Sounds, Vol. 1, Beautifully Human: Words and Sounds, Vol. 2 or Collaborations . In fact I've often thought she was overrated. Yes I'd be the first to admit that she has a great voice, but, like a lot of Singers, male & female nowadays; the songs she sang never did much for me.
But big things start in little ways. Firstly earlier this year whilst in a Virgin Megastore in London I heard a song which had me jigging to it (not an easy thing for me too do :) Upon asking an employee of this store I was told it was from the Collaborations CD. Shocked I ran out the store screaming. Only kidding. But it made me sit up.
Anyway onto this CD. I had no intention of buying this CD (well I brought it for my little sister) but two things happened to change my mind. Firstly whilst watching VH1 Soul whilst in New York City I came upon her video for 'Hate on me'. She also discussed the song itself, which related to web forums that were less than complimentary to her. Well I liked the song, but the best was yet to come. I also saw her video for my love. How I love this song. Her emotion on the song (and present in the video itself) was truly moving. I decided to get the CD. How I won't front & say I love every song on here, but I do love enough of it to feel like its money well spent. As well as the two fore mentioned songs I'm feeling: 'Whenever You're Around', 'Breathe' ( where she drops a rap vocal)' Wanna Be Loved' ( one of my favorites and address her problems of late and states what she , well what we all want)'Celibacy Blues', ' How It Makes You Feel', 'Come See Me'& 'Imagination / Crown Royal Suite. What I admire about her is the way she has exposed herself and the issues surrounding her life. The rocky 'The Real Thing' and 'All I' are the two songs that I really am not feeling', whilst the rest are ok.
Well I think I'll have to give her other CDs a listen now, starting with Collaborations. I truly am a believer now LOL!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Jill's third studio album and although it's much like the first two albums, those albums were of such a high standard that this is still fantastic. She delivers yet another album of sumptuous vocals and soulful grooves. Not only has Jill Scott one of the most soulful voices i've heard in years but she has integrity and spirit. Her studio work is excellent and Jill Scott live is magical and well worth a try if you like this. Buy this album and enjoy the poetry of her lyrics and feel the soul in her vocals. Not a major departure from her other work, but more great music to savour and enjoy. A truly amazing artist!

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.
on 10 November 2007
A lovely album by Jilly from Philly. There's no point comparing with the previous two albums, this is Jill Scott! Unless you despair of soul/jazz, then you simply won't be disappointed.

The tune I'm still hooked on is 'Come see me' - just what I need after a day at the office. I can't get 'How it makes you feel' out of my head at times. 'My love' is so applicable to so many triangles out there. Even 'Let it be' grows on you and like me you come to wish it was doubled in length.

Above it all, Jill is vocally supreme. I don't know about her sounding more aggressive. 'Hate on me' is about as agreesive as it gets (but then so was 'Somethin bedda at home'). Jill here is just sounding lovely and is her usually lyrically clever self.

I do admit I would like to hear more of the 'poetry-reading' style to which her voice and delivery lends itself so well, but that doesn't take away from the max 5 stars for giving us quality in every department. Can't wait to see her live.

PS: please do Jill's album justice by ensuring you play it on a worthy sound system (preferably with sub-woofer). You'll surely miss something otherwise.
VINE VOICEon 1 November 2007
I'm ashamed to say I'd never heard of Jill Scott before I came across this album. R&B really isn't my thing, at least not since the 70s - and although I appreciate a great soul vocal, hiphop and other forms of dance music have pretty much nipped under my rock radar.

However, it's been my loss. Double Grammy-winner Jill Scott is every bit as complex a musical force as anyone from the echelons of art-rock or alt-country. She's smart, she's powerful, she's sassy and her vocal prowess would make many an opera diva weep. Her lyrics - on love, on sex, on life - effortlessly accomplish something to which Lily Allen and Kate Nash can only brattishly aspire. And the music is a wonderful mix of nu-soul, old-school blues and cutting-edge hiphop.

One last thing - so many European women artists work hard to be fashionably thin, as though adult female beauty ought to emulate the appearance of a child. Jill Scott's to be congratulated for her frank and fleshy image - big, powerful, mature, voluptuous and sexy as hell.

first published at
on 27 January 2008
Jill Scott's fourth album carries on the brilliance of her previous offerings. I didn't think she'd ever get close to the magic of her first album 'Who is Jill Scott?,'but this comes pretty damned near enough. I've listened to this CD twice today, and pretty much all the way through, just when you think it couldn't get any better, it does. Just like her debut, there are no tracks to skip.
There's a unique quality about the songs on this album that's difficult to describe to someone who hasn't heard them. It's tuneful enough to feel fairly instant on the ear when first played, yet there is something else that you notice more and more on subsequent listening.
First and foremostly a poet, lyrically Jill continues to look at life, love (and hate) from an unusual perspective that just adds dimension to her powerful vocals and soulful delivery.
Looking forward to Words and Sounds Volume 4.... lets hope it's not too long to wait.
on 17 November 2011
Jill Scott's third album "The Real Thing: Word And Sounds Vol.3" is, for me, her best work to date as it sounds confident, experimental, interesting and has a great sound that floats between soul, jazz and R&B. Her vocals are sublime and the compositions are very well though out and original.

The intro "Let It Be" is innovative and gives us a sneak peak of what to expect from the album. "The Real Thing" is a really funky and groovy track with a fantastic melody and superb phrasing. "Hate On Me" is another infectious song with a edgy angst driven chorus. "Come See Me" brings the tempo down a lot and is a mellow slow jam infused with sultry jazz influences. "Crown Royal" is a cool and interesting interlude and "Epiphany" is a jazzy and poetic composition with a suave rhythm. "My Love" and "Insomnia" are cool Neo Soul tracks and remind me of music Erykah Badu would write. "How It Will Make You Feel" has really cool vocal harmonies and arrangements, but the coolest track has to be the captivating sombre "Only You" which has such a brilliant bass and rhythm with a dark sounding piano and vocals. "Whenever You're Around", a duet with George Duke, is a nice subtle soul influenced track. "Celibacy Blues" is, as the title suggests, an acoustic blues track that suits Jill Scott's vocals to perfection. "All I" is a very sensual slow jam with sweet vocals and a lovely melody. "Wanna Be Loved" is quite a sweet and experimental sounding slow jam and the final track "Breathe" is a calm R&B outro.

Jill Scott is at the top of her game at the moment and has provided us with her most consistent and interesting album to date. I hope that Jill continues experimenting with sounds and improvising arrangements as this seems to be what works best for her as a vocalist and poet. "The Real Thing: Words And Sounds Vol.3" is the real deal.
on 21 December 2007
What I really love about Jill Scott is the way she can create some of the most wonderful harmonious sounds to be recorded. For me this is her best album and there are some exquisite tracks. My 2 standout tracks is 'Crown Royal' and 'My Love' simply because of the sheer exquisite singing and harmonising that is to be heard.If you like your music meaningful and to touch your soul than I cannot reccomend this album more strongly!
on 3 August 2008
Don't think there's a bigger fan of Jill Scott than me! Loved her from her first album.....long walk, second album........golden, but this album has so much pent-up man-hate, it was quite distracting as that stuck behind my brain each time I was listening. Still 4-stars, classic Miss Scott, guess some ladies were feeling here out there. All in all, nice to hear some new material from the soul-queen.
on 2 October 2009
This album is perfect, from beginning to finish, but then again Jill Scott is always consistent when it comes to penning the perfect album. This album is worth every penny and was most definitely one of the best albums released during that year.

With a song for any mood, you're bound to find yourself singing along to Jill's smooth vocals and there is plenty of amazing songs to choose from too, I honestly feel that there isn't one bad song on this album and that has to be one of the amazing things about Jill as an artist. She always delivers, so you can be guranteed that you're buying into an amazing piece of art.

Every album that Jill has released has been like a journey throughout her life, so you can be sure that this album is something pretty special.