5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic ...
Loved the original but this was possibly even better!

A great feelgood movie with a strong message running through it. I defy anyone not to be singing, dancing, clapping and shaking their booty within 5 minutes of watching it! Loads of extras on the two disc set including some of the dances to learn. Worth every penny and respect to John Travolta for giving it...
Published on 21 Nov 2007 by A. Hall

3.0 out of 5 stars Watered Down Waters
I loved the original John Water's movie and many of the elements that made me love it were missing in this "sanitized" version so I can't agree with all the raves, I'm afraid.

The hard-edged, provocative and unconventional dialogue has been diluted to the point of bland. The ghost of Water's lines linger on but re-written for no apparent purpose other than to...
Published on 9 Jan 2008 by Catblack_uk

‹ Previous | 1 2 321 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Pinnacle of Achievement!, 30 Jan 2012
This review is from: Hairspray (2007) Shake & Shimmy Special Edition [DVD] (DVD)
Hairspray is a wonder of the world, a pinnacle of achievement, a work of unmatched brilliance.
One feels entertained, informed, inspired, involved, elevated, and honoured. Repeated viewing, with singing and dancing essential. It's better every time.
Top three moments for me,( no spoilers:) "Not Mount Everest!!!;" "Where you been?" (just before the fireworks;) and "Begone!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Peace and Quiet, 24 Sep 2010
This review is from: Hairspray (2007) [DVD] (DVD)
As my 4 year old is an avid fan of Mamma Mia. we thought Hairspray would be a good alternative to make a change from seeing the same film over and over and protect our sanity. we wernt dissapointed john travolta is comedy personified. great film (even if i am getting sick of seeing it haha)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly joyful, 9 Feb 2010
I love this film it fills me with joy, it is amazingly uplifting, jon trovolta is amazing and really makes me smile, the singing is flawless and the entire film is 100% fun. This film could brighten up any day

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll be singing along, 31 Aug 2009
T. MCMICHAEL "tracya" (uk) - See all my reviews
Fab film for a girly night young or not so young, get the choc and wine out and have a dance!

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone's invited!, 27 Jan 2008
BrommerD (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hairspray (2007) [DVD] (DVD)
This is a great film. I haven't seen the original so I can't make comparisons but I was surprised at how well crafted this version was. I bought it for my daughter (at her request) for Christmas but only got around to watching it myself yesterday and found it totally engaging and an excellent family film. Having grown up with Grease and Saturday Night Fever I was expecting to be disappointed but this is up to the same high standard. It evokes the sentiment of the time and the importance of inclusiveness brilliantly. It's a joyous experience and the soundtrack is excellent in its own right. Make every day negro day!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favourite!, 7 Oct 2007
This review is from: Hairspray (2007) [DVD] (DVD)
I had heard rumours that this musical was the "new Grease", I thought that there was no way this could be true. However my friend took me to see it, by the end of the first song you wanted to sing along. Tracey's optimistic spirit is catching and you really hope that she will achieve everything that she sets her mind to.
Also the black/white segregation issues are incredibly moving and the songs are so powerful. This underlying theme really adds depth to the musical. This film is absolutely fanastic, I bought the soundtrack and listen to it non stop. Can't wait for the dvd to come out!
A must see film! My brother agrees (and he doesn't like Grease!)

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun movie and a superb BluRay release, 4 July 2008
This is not the sort of movie I go for, but having read a few glowing reviews elsewhere about the film and the quality of picture and sound, and given that it is selling for well under 10, I thought I'd try it.
If you don't like musicals then its best to avoid, but I don't mind them and hoped this would be entertaining part of the film.
From the outset, the movie is crammed with songs, maybe one or two could be better or one or two less for me, and a little more dialogue. I felt it became a bit too broadway,but seeing as this is taken from the stageshow I can see how it's turned out that way.
Some people are saying it's the new Grease or some are going OTT and saying it's better, but I can report IMO, it's not in the same Grade.
On the upside though, I was entertained, even though this is bubblegum stuff that's more of a girlie movie for most of it, I wish John Travolta had been the father and not in a fatsuit in drag, maybe he could have danced better then but thankfully Chirtopher Walken and Michelle Pfeifer play very decent parts and keep the movie from being too cheesy. I thought Michelle Pfeifer in particular was great, she has some really good scenes and wished she was in it more.
Other than that the plot gets a little dull sometimes mainly focusing on the musical numbers and could have been crafted a little better with more character involvement.
The Best thing about this BluRay apart from it being great value and having two discs, is it doesn't dissapoint with Picture or Sound Quality,
Each is absoulutely fatastic brimming with detail and colour - by God, the colours are so vibrant it's like your tv has maxed out on it. You might even want to turn down the colour setting on your tv as its so intense,I didn't but felt like it sometimes or putting it on a cool setting, just to make things a little more natural. It wasn't too distracting though and suited the poppy musical numbers.
The sound is awesome and has the full 7.1 treatment, but I don't know what it's like as I had to settle for my 5.1 speakers, though this is quite enough and extremely high quality.
The Extra's are overflowing - great for the little featurettes and extra deleted scenes and songs.
All in all a very entertaining movie - not one for me personally to watch over and over, I much prefer Grease, but I can see quite a lot of kids and girls loving this and wanting to watch it time and time again, although not every song floated my boat, they were fun to watch and most of the actors gave very good performances. I may watch it every so often just for Pfeifer.
Verdict - Well worth the money under a tenner, superb value, Entertaining performers, Good Songs,5 Star picture and sound.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!, 3 Feb 2013
a great, feel good movie. Was such a great laugh and a thrill to see John Travolta dressed as a lady! I have to say, I could not have done the dance moved he did in those heels - and I'm a girl!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hairspray film review., 28 Nov 2012
This review is from: Hairspray (2007) [DVD] (DVD)
Excellent film, what more can i say, the casting is superb every actor/actress is right for their character, the songs are super give you a great feel for the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Film, 12 Oct 2012
K. Archer "K Catori" (Gloucestershire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hairspray (2007) [DVD] (DVD)
My daughter wanted this, but I have watched it with her. Its a great film - although I would not admit that to her!

‹ Previous | 1 2 321 | Next ›