5.0 out of 5 stars KDL26S3000 Vs KDL26T3000
Re: KDL26S3000 Vs KDL26T3000:

As these two similar sets are often compared and pondered over by prospective buyers, I thought it would be good to base this review on their differences, and tell you why I chose this S-series model in the end:

Published on 4 May 2008 by Bertie Buggerington

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, don't be fooled by the Bravia tag
I ordered one of these 10 days ago as LG are having difficulties supplying the UK with the 26LG3000 which was my first choice. Yes it has the usual good Sony features (reprogrammable Freeview, really great feature and amazes me that others don't offer it) and the Smart picture aspect feature.

However, this TV suffers from poor viewing angles - in particular...
Published on 7 Oct 2008 by limehouselawyer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars KDL26S3000 Vs KDL26T3000, 4 May 2008
This review is from: Sony KDL26S3000 - 26'' Widescreen Bravia HD Ready LCD TV - With Freeview (Electronics)
Re: KDL26S3000 Vs KDL26T3000:

As one reviewer has pointed out, the T-series 'KDL26T3000' is available here on Amazon for a little more money than the S-series 'KDL26S3000' set. I personally used the comparison feature on Sony's website and came away thinking that I'd be happy to pay less for this S-series set, while knowing full well that it has slightly less features than the T-series. The main difference (not mentioned on the Sony site) is that this S-series uses a 'TN' panel and the T-series uses an S-PVA panel. TN panels are the cheapest LCD panels in use, and while I do accept that S-PVA panels have a wider viewing angle (178 vs 160 degrees) and an allegedly 'better' contrast ratio (I will touch on contrast ratios later on), it is an industry recognised fact that they also have a worse response time than TN panels. I think this makes TN panels better for gaming and watching fast moving action. In fact, many LAN party gamers swear by TN panel monitors for this very reason. S-PVA panels also suffer more from colour inversion - as you move your head the colours change. Some people find they don't notice this, or that it doesn't bother them, but I have noticed it on other people's sets/monitors. TN panels suffer this to a much lesser degree.

Also, I view this TV from one position, like most 'bedroom sets' I watch it from my bed - so the slight benefit of extra viewing angle is wasted on me. Besides, I think the viewing angle on this S-series (160 degrees) is perfectly sound...you really have to watch at a stupid angle before the picture grows paler..so there is another extra I need not pay for. Though I must admit, TN panels do have a much poorer vertical viewing angle, so if you like to lie/sit on the floor and look up towards the TV then you would be better off with the T-series and give this 'S' model a skip. The reason being is that if you look up towards the screen on a TN panel from a certain point (very low down), it will darken to the point of being impossible to watch. Luckily for me, I don't sit on the floor.

As for the 'better' contrast ratio on the T-series....well all I will say on this is that the whole contrast ratio numbers game is an industry con. The most common professional and very expensive cinema projector in use today has a 500:1 contrast ratio...this model has both a 800:1 'on screen' contrast ratio and a 6000:1 dynamic contrast ratio. Would you be surprised to know that this is perfectly adequate and that all these 20000:1 and such numbers banded about in the industry is a whopping big lie? just Google the famous article 'The Contrast Ratio Game'...it will certainly shock you. So again, the T-series had nothing extra I needed in this respect.

Apart from the different panel technology, the slightly dearer 'T' model includes a digital amplifier for the sound, while the S-series doesn't. Like most big gamers though, I use a dedicated surround system, so again I wasn't motivated to go with the 'T' model - besides, the sound is perfectly fine from this 'S' model set. Both sets use the same Virtual Dolby and BBE ViVA HD3D technology.

Both models also use the 'Bravia Engine©' technology, unlike the very basic 'U-series' (KDL26U3000) model which you can also find on Amazon, and is often seen as a 'mega deal' in supermarkets. Stay away from this U-series..it is Sony's entry level series and the lack of a Bravia engine processor is a huge negative. The Bravia Engine© is at the very heart of Sony TV's. It deals with colour reproduction, scaling and all sorts of weird and wonderful things...it is a must have feature. Both 'S' and 'T' include it, 'U' doesn't. This is perhaps the most important thing to remember when shopping for a Bravia TV in this lower price bracket.

So I hope you now have a more informed choice; do the few extras of the T-series set appeal to you? If so, great...for only £30 or so more it is no big deal to take that plunge. But if like me you see that £30 as one more game to buy, or perhaps a couple of Blu-Ray movies, or even an extended warranty on this S-series set, and those T-series extra features don't appeal to you, then go with this S-series model. If you still can't make up your mind, try and get to see both models demonstrated in a store before you make your choice, but I have had my KDL26S3000 for a few days now and I can honestly say to you that it is amazing. I have played upscaled DVD's through it, PS3 games and real HD Blu-Ray movies in 1080i and 720p and I can honestly say they all look absolutely amazing. You will simply not go wrong with the Sony Bravia KDL26S3000, I whole heartedly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop looking now - this is a great deal, 2 Jun 2008
JP Williams "meribelman" (Wales) - See all my reviews
Having read lots of the reviews which seem to be written by people who are 'into TVs', I took their advice and bought one of these after scouring the web. I don't really do TVs, watching them is fine, but debating the deatil of the 'engine' doesnt exactly do it for me. I simply needed a new one for the family.

Delivery excellent, as always and the hardest bit is getting it out of the box, and that ain't exactly difficult! Thereafter it sets itself up and away you go. The picture quality is exceptional, the sound is great. It looks cool, smart, is light and doesnt take up much space. My kids plugged in their xbox with a 'high def HDMI whatever bla bla' lead and I think the result scared them with the sharpness of the image.

So, for those of you not too concerned about your dbi, HDMI, pro this, surround that, and what have you, a layperson view would be that its just a very good telly at a very good price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV at a great price!, 15 Dec 2007
R. Watkins (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Just bought this TV - ordered just before 2pm on Friday and it was on my doorstep at 11am the next day, due to the express delivery.

It looks great, has brilliant picture quality (as you would expect from a Sony) and the sound is great too.

The amazon price is £150 cheaper than john lewis, and with the free 3 year warranty offer you can't go wrong. Definitely recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars The second set was excellent, 14 April 2008
The first unit delivered failed to work out of the box: dead on arrival. However, I was impressed with the efficiency of the returns process and a replacement was receieved 2 days after the faulty unit. This is excellent. We already have a 20" Sony Bravia so there were no surprises with the functions, features and controls on the 26" Bravia. We find it easy to use and would recommend the excellent picture quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV, 15 Dec 2007
Lee Reed - See all my reviews
I upgraded from a 20" Sony Bravia to this newer and larger model. Sony doesn't dissapoint, from the look of the tv which is very class in black with a subtle silver lining across the bottom. I have it connected to my PS3 via HDMI lead and the picture quality is brilliant, can't fault it at all, games such as Call Of Duty 4, Uncharted and Oblivion just simply look stunning. The same goes for watching BluRay DVD's, sound and picture quality are great. The TV is a perfect size for the bedroom. I haven't tried the freeview channels on it yet, so I can't comment on those, I mainly bought it for my PS3, an it hasn't dissapointed, the remote is even stylish in a slim black design, the menu's are user friendly and it's a very easy TV to setup, it has plenty of connections suc as 2x HDMI sockets, camera slot, component sockets, scarts, audio in/outs, headphone jack, s-video slots etc. Very happy with the purchase, and super fast delivery by amazon.

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent LCD (if obtained at the right price!), 30 Jan 2008
G. Wright (Dagenham, Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I've been 'spoilt' with the Sony KDL32D3000 (our main television) and wanted a similar, smaller one for the bedroom so I could oust the bulky CRT television. Unfortunately Sony do not make a 26inch 'D' series so, taking the numerous reviews into account, I settled for the 26S3000 from the limited choice available.

If I hadn't been able to compare it to my 'D' series Sony I probably would have given it five stars. It's just that I can notice the difference in the picture quality with standard definition television reception and miss the additional menu features. Don't get me wrong, it's still impressive, probably better than most and I'm perfectly happy with it - for the bedroom certainly. It's just that the 'D' series set leaves an awful lot to live up to and I would have begrudged some of the prices asked for this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent set, 29 Feb 2008
NR (NW England) - See all my reviews
Bought this TV a few months back as a second TV that I could hook my Xbox 360 up to, and I've been highly impressed.
The TV looks discreet and stylish even when switched off. The remote control is robust and well laid out (as I tend to find with all Sony products). The menu system is fairly easy to understand and navigate.
There are plenty of connectivity options round the back, and when my Xbox is plugged in it runs in 1080p resolution and the picture is superb.
I find the freeview picture is quite poor (grainy, with compression artefacts), but I believe this is intrinsic to watching freeview on an HD TV and not a fault with the TV itself.
Best of all the set was priced at £399 when I bought it, so it was a bargain at that price.
Overall I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Telly!, 15 April 2008
P. Byrne (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
Great looking set with wonderfully clear picture quality.
Very quick & simple to set up. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant., 13 Jan 2008
Bought the TV before Christmas as I needed a HD TV for my bedroom for my new PS3.

Works a charm, could have not got better service.

Easy to set up, Automatically got all the channels from the built-in FreeView in 5 Minutes, Paid an extra 10er or so for next day delivery, and when I came home, it was there, Fantastic!

Its a great TV for the PS3, Get it if amazon have it in stock, Under £400 quid for a Sony 26" HD TV, not bad!, Although looks like Amazon are out of stock at the minute.

5.0 out of 5 stars proud new owner, 20 Sep 2008
Linda Parsons "teabag" (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have just bought this tv to replace my old Samsung and the difference in quality is amazing,in fact it takes a little while to get used to the clarity on the Sony it is so good and an absolute bargain at the price (I shopped around the local stores and could not find one for less than £500)It is very simple to set up and the sound quality is very good, what more can I say treat yourself to this bargain while they are still in stock, happy viewing

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›