Size: 4 GB|Change

on 28 November 2008
I bought this card to use in my Canon EOS 50D and it has worked perfectly so far with no problems at all.

It is fast enough to take a burst of shots on the jpeg + Raw setting @ 6.3 frames per second with no loss of speed that I could detect, even on longer bursts.

Read speed is also fast as it only takes a short time to download a large number of jpeg + raw files direct from the camera onto the PC via the camera`s own usb cable, with no read/write errors so far. (It may be faster still with a card reader)

I have been using the 16gb version of this card on my other camera body (EOS 40d) and I was so impressed with the cards performance that I bought this 32gb for the higher resolution EOS 50D. and this card does not disappoint either.

With the camera set on jpeg and raw image recording, both on the highest resolution possible, (15mp) you can still get over a thousand images on this card, thats about 4,000+ high quality 15mp jpegs on one card, and on a 10mp camera about 50% more than that. (although this does vary depending on the type of pictures you are taking, as some pictures contain more information than others and have a larger file size.)

Please remember that not all camera`s, (especially older models) are compatible with high capacity CF cards, check your camera for compatibility before buying this card to avoid any disappointment.

All in all this is an excellent card that does everything the manufacturers claim, and it does it well.

At this price it is highly recommended.
VINE VOICEon 3 September 2008
I can't actually believe you can get 16GB of CompactFlash storage for less than £35 these days! But I agree with the positive reviews for the product. I too have a Canon EOS400D SLR camera, and this card is perfect. To test the writing speed, I set my camera to manual, the quality to RAW (which means the data gets written to the card at absolute top quality, with no compression, and just as the camera sensor sees it), and held my finger down on the shutter button. Twenty shots later, I released the button expecting the camera to take ages to write the data to the card, but it didn't. It was so quick I had to check to be sure! It had recorded all the photos with no problems.

Even shooting with RAW, you can store approx 1500 photos on this card.

Anyway, don't believe the negative reviews, this product is fantastic!

Just a quick update on this card. I remember one of the reviewers saying that they had problems getting the full 16gb from this card. I think I know why. I formatted the card myself in the EOS400D camera of which I spoke in my review, and it could only manage to format it to 8GB. This is a bit of an odd drawback of the Canon camera, as I can easily fill the whole 16gb with photos, no problem. Anyway, if you do happen to format your card using the camera and you can only use 8GB, go into Microsoft Windows (or your preferred operating system) and remove the partition using Disk Manager. Then create and format a new partition for the whole 16gb. Simples!
33 comments|39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 October 2008
I bought this card for my Canon EOS 400D, and I was pleased to see when I turned the camera on that it cheerfully displayed "1587" to show me how many raw shots could be recorded before I'd have to change cards. Woohoo!

Having bought a 2Gb SanDisk Extreme IV with the camera, I didn't want to spend a fortune on spare cards so I did some research on the web to find out exactly how fast a card needs to be before the write speed of the camera falls short of the card and you are paying for "unused extra speed". I have found it difficult to find accurate sources on the web but it seems that a 133x card should be more than adequate for storing data as fast as an EOS 400D can supply it. Which of course means a less congested buffer and more shots in a row in burst mode!

I have done some simple tests with this Transcend card compared to my Extreme IV, and superficially at least there is no appreciable difference in performance. I have read that the larger memory address space of high capacity cards can slow down data writing slightly as compared to smaller cards, so I will not be going higher than 16Gb. I will be buying a few more of these babies before I go off around the planet!

** Update follows (26 Mar 09) **

Since writing this review I have upgraded to the delicious Canon EOS 40D (see my review on the kit version for the low-down).

The performance of the Canon EOS 40D with the Transcend 133x 16Gb card is noticeably poor compared to both the 2Gb and 4Gb versions of the SanDisk Extreme IV range. Since I do a lot of high speed shooting, I therefore sold my Transcend card with my Canon EOS 400D.

So, if you are a 400D/Rebel user, this card will do fine speed-wise and it is a LOT of storage at a low price. However if you are a Canon 40D user, and you want the full shooting speed, you will probably want a faster card. I have recent reviews on the 2Gb and 4Gb SanDisk Extreme IV cards which will help you decide how fast your cards need to be.
on 27 October 2008
I bought this card to use in my Canon EOS 40d and it has worked perfectly so far.
It is fast enough to take a burst of shots on the jpeg + Raw setting @ 6.5 frames per second with no loss of speed that I could detect.
Read speed is also fast as it only takes a short time to download a large number of jpeg + raw files onto the PC with no read/write errors so far.
I have just ordered a second camera body (EOS 50d) and I am so impressed with this card that I have ordered the 32gb version of this card to go with it.

Highly recommended.
on 1 September 2008
Got 4 of these 8GB cards (as well as SanDisk ones)... in comparison these sit just under the SanDisk Extreme III in terms of speed.

Download using SanDisk Card Reader @ 20mb/sec average. This seems to vary depending on the type and number of files on the card, and card reader. (Budget card reader will give you a slower speed, as expected really)

Upload to CF from Card Reader @ 10mb/sec (slow but I hardly ever do this anyway)

In the camera (Canon 5D), its more than fast enough even when shooting RAW.
If you have 1D series / high fps you may want the faster ones though...

Reliability is 100% on each card so far... (3 months heavy usage, though this may change over a year or two!).

For this price you cant get better.
on 12 November 2010
133x should be achieve a maximum transfer rate of about 21 MB/s. This card can't. In fact you can't even *read* data at anything like that speed, let alone write it.

Real world measurements:

Read test, performed 3 times: # for i in 1 2 3; do hdparm -tT /dev/sdc1; done

The second figure in each case is the significant one. The first figure only refers to the buffer while the second is the real world read performance.

Timing cached reads: 1680 MB in 2.00 seconds = 840.23 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 54 MB in 3.03 seconds = 17.82 MB/sec

Timing cached reads: 1632 MB in 2.00 seconds = 815.62 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 54 MB in 3.03 seconds = 17.83 MB/sec

Timing cached reads: 1706 MB in 2.00 seconds = 852.97 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 54 MB in 3.03 seconds = 17.84 MB/sec

So less than 18 MB/s...a little disappointing.

I then performed a write test twice and each run was identical. The test is simple; write a 4GB file and print the time taken and rate of transfer:

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/media/disk/output.img bs=8k count=512k
4294967295 bytes (4.3 GB) copied, 330.627 s, 13.0 MB/s

13 MB/s is just about OK but not more than that, while the read speed of about 18 MB/s is also much poorer than I expected.

I think the card is OK. In compatible equipment it seems fine. But that word 'compatible' is crucial, and also the card cannot perform anywhere near the claimed speeds. In my DSLR, an old Konica Minolta Dynax 7D, it works fine and easily outperforms unbranded generic cards and an old Kingston Elite Pro. In my compact, a Canon Powershot S70, it's not useable as it causes the camera to brainfart and results in corrupted files and I'm forced to power off and start again. In theory there is no limit on the size of CF card the camera can use and of course I format the card in the camera. I've also found that my PC's built in card reader doesn't always recognise the card (it's a modern enough reader, for example it reliably handles micro SDHC at full speed). So while the card works well enough in my DSLR it's quite annoying that it doesn't work well with another camera and a card reader. I wouldn't buy the same card or brand again, even though it's cheap.
on 9 February 2010
I use this card with my Canon 7D, for both 1080P video and burst shooting, and it has never let me down.
Fast enough to capture a burst of 70 JPGS, or 30 RAW files, so more than enough for anyone but the sport professional.
Never lost a file, and big enough for a days shooting, and at this price, you can buy a couple and have more than enough, even for a heavy days shooting.
No point spending more on super fast branded cards, seems like a total waste of money.
Very happy with this purchase.
Might get another few just in case!
on 1 May 2009
Going on holiday and wanted a large storage card for my photos, this card gives some 3450 odd pictures in the RAW format which saves changing from one card to another. Good value for money.
on 26 September 2008
bought this product as a back up to my 2-3 year old Sandisk extreme III for use in a Nikon D300. Not knowing the speed of the extreme III and thinking it's based on 2-3 years old technolody and the transcend has ultra speed 133x written all over it, I was a little disppointed to find that it recorded data at half the speed of the extreem III and hence would use twice as much battery power. It'll do fine as a back up though.
on 9 May 2009
Excellent product which I used to replace/upgrade the old traditional "moving part" 6GB hard drive in my Ipod mini