4.0 out of 5 stars A total disaster (not).
Published 16 months ago by sunrisespacelab

1.0 out of 5 stars Very bad copy. Very bad customer care from Eureka.
I'm uncertain as to whether the disc I received was a bad copy or Eureka completely botched this up, but I ended up returning this purchase to Amazon, who were very supportive and helpful.

Published 11 months ago by sam

4.0 out of 5 stars A total disaster (not)., 18 May 2013
Apparantly that is what the papers said upon the film's release at the Cannes Festival in 1980. My favourite director Andrei Tarkovsky, in Rome that year for the pre-production of Nostalghia, noted in his diary that City of Women was a fiasco: "At the Cannes Festival the papers said that Fellini's last film was a total disaster, and that he himself had ceased to exist. It's terrible, but it's true, his film is worthless." Well i must say it is not 8 1/2 which remains to me one of his most beautiful films but it is still worth watching and even more i dare to say that it is even a joy to watch on Blu-Ray. It is a trip which starts with a train entering a tunnel and you drown into talking and chatting women all the way through the film. The colours of this Blu-Ray version are beautiful too.
So i do not consider this one as a total disaster or garbage. It is a nice entertaining and funny film to watch. Not the masterpiece you might expect from Fellini but still a typical Fellini film.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Women And The Demons In Fellini's Life, 22 Mar 2013
Fellini is commonly regarded as one of the top five greatest film directors who ever lived. In addition to that honorable distinction, he also holds the number one rank for many as their all-time favorite. He is responsible for at least six of the greatest films ever made: I Vitelloni; La Strada; Nights of Cabiria; La Dolce Vita; 8½; and Amarcord. Despite some truly memorable visuals and classic set-pieces, Fellini's City of Women is not one of his best films, but it is far from the travesty that some people (including Andrei Tarkovsky) have made it out to be.

What started out as an aborted collaboration with Ingmar Bergman (another top five greatest film director candidate), City of Women, released in 1980, is best considered an episodic satire on the women's lib movement and stereotypical Italian Male's obsession with the opposite sex. Fellini and his screen alter-ego, Marcello Mastroianni, are reunited again for the first time in a feature film since 8½ (1963). Here, Mastroianni plays a slight variation on the bemused film director character (based on Fellini himself) he played to such legendary perfection in their previous collaboration. We're not sure what his character's profession is in City of Women, and it doesn't really matter. What matters is we know he loves all women and is willing to risk his own well being for even a brief encounter alone with one of them, be it in a bathroom on a speeding train or in a strange woods.

As he steps off the train for an unscheduled stop, Fellini and Mastroianni lead us on a surreal and somewhat nightmarish odyssey through a dreamworld populated almost entirely by the fairer sex. What begins as an amusing sex comedy quickly succumbs to an overindulgent and tiresome fantasy with too much going on and too little to say. The film lacks the emotional punch and artistry of his great works, or even the gentle mysticism of Juliet of the Spirits. I found City of Women to have the most in common with Fellini's I Clowns and Ginger and Fred. I Clowns was a semi-documentary produced for Italian television (later released to theaters) but it became a meditation on Felllini's own childhood and lifelong obsession with the circus clown. In the film, Fellini himself admits that his obsession started out as a fear. I think this observation could be true of City of Women also. The women on display are meant to be feared, not gawked at or adored. Structurally, the film shares the most in common with Ginger and Fred (produced just six years after City of Women), another minor Fellini vehicle for Mastroianni and the luminous Giulietta Masina (Mrs. Fellini). Fellini allegedly had a longtime affair with one of his frequent players (Sandra Milo) yet his wife always remained by his side. City of Women seems to be another example of Fellini exorcising his own demons (like he did in 8½) by admitting his faults and infidelities on camera, especially in the final set-piece when Mastroianni is essentially put on trial. Unlike 8½, where he bravely cast his real-life mistress as his onscreen mistress, City of Women seems less insightful and far more abstract.

The Blu-ray is a revelation in picture and sound. This truly is the definitive release of one of Fellini's most promising and perhaps trivial works. And let it be said: even a trivial Fellini film is still worth the price of admission.

4.0 out of 5 stars but entertaining and excellent transfer., 19 Sep 2014
Weird film , but entertaining and excellent transfer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 26 July 2014
super

5.0 out of 5 stars Fellini le magicien, 25 April 2010
A Kid's Review
This review is from: City of Women ( La Cité des femmes ) ( La Città delle donne ) [ English subtitles ] [DVD] (DVD)
Je n'avais pas revu la cite des femmes depuis les annees 80. Mais la magie et l'exuberance de Fellini sont toujours la. Ce film a fait tiquer certains groupes feministes a l'epoque, et l'on
parlait de l'obcession du maitre pour les attributs avantageux de certains caracteres feminins de ses films. Il n'est pas le seul dans ce cas (regardez donc quelques films de Tinto Brass, beaucoup plus "exlicites"!), mais meme apres presque 30 ans, j'ai encore succombe a l'atmosphere
fellinienne, comme je l'ai fait il y a deux ans en revoyant Amarcord. Des flashes de son enfance, des traits feroces, bien que sur le mode humoristique, envers certans travers de l'etre
humain, le tout dans une atmosphere mi reve mi realite. Et puis,ces immenses plateaux/decors illumines ou plonges dans la penombre, ces fantastiques places de villes italiennes! Decidemment, oui , quand on est tombe dans le monde de Fellini une fois, on ne s'en remet pas. Allez-y, vous verrez...

1.0 out of 5 stars Very bad copy. Very bad customer care from Eureka., 30 Sep 2013

However, I was disappointed with Eureka's response upon contacting them directly. All they had to say was, ''We're happy, the problem is your setup''. No, ''Return the disc and we'll provide another''...

Anyway, I am hoping I was simply unlucky and that the poor quality of the disc I was provided is not a sign of things to come from Eureka.

Thanks to Amazon for the great customer care, as always!

1.0 out of 5 stars My copy is in black and white, 11 Mar 2013
I put the dvd in the player in eager anticipation only to find that it played in black and white. I thought that I was watching an extension of 81/2. Confused, I put the other disc in with all the documentaries only to find that they too were in black and white. The next day I rang the supplier thinking that they would have been inundated with complaints from other customers. Not so. It was suggested that I tried another system for playback and so I put in on the computer and, sure enough, it played in colour.

Apparently technology has caught up with me. I still use Sony Trinitron tube tv's. I simply prefer the picture to newer LCD and LED televisions. Even the kiddies who work at the Sony Centre sympathise with my preference and have told me that I will not get as good a picture with the modern televisions as I do with my older ones.

This sort of problem sometimes occurs when you try and play a region 1 dvd on a region 2 player but this film clearly states on the back that it is region 2. I have never had this problem in the past. I even dug out a Masters of Cinema copy of Rocco and his Brothers and played the bonus disc for the first time thinking that it might have the same problem and that I hadn't noticed it on the main film as it is in black and white anyway. The bonus disc of documentaries played in colour and so it is not that there is simply a problem with the manufacturer.

What can I do other than return the film. It simply refuses to play in colour on what I consider to be a ' normal ' tv. If anyone has any suggestions other than the obvious, i.e. ditching my beloved tubes and finally buying a non-lateral movement flat screen television, I would be most grateful.

I was really looking forward to seeing this film and am left worrying that this will happen again with another title.