This 5-album collection is outstanding value: for around 12, you can acquire almost all the essential work of John McLaughlin's legendary MO in one package.

Published on 5 Nov 2011 by The Guardian

3.0 out of 5 stars Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Complete Columbia Albums Collection
For just over thirty quid you can get all the albums plus Nothingness to Eternity expanded by an hour and a brilliant live Noonward Race as well as a book. You'll soon find it on the Greate Webbe. Try Sony's Popmarket.
Published on 1 Mar 2012 by R. GARDNER

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of MO and outstanding value: never mind the sleeve notes, just listen to the music, 5 Nov 2011
The Guardian (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Original Album Classics (Audio CD)

The first three albums `The Inner Mounting Flame', `Birds of Fire' and - recorded live in Central Park NYC in 1973 - `Between Nothingness and Eternity' feature the original virtuoso line-up of McLaughlin, Hammer, Goodman, Cobham and Laird. The later two albums feature line-up changes and the deployment of orchestral strings, and don't quite have the dynamism, the take-your-breath-away energy-burst of the first three. They're good, though, and important milestones of this busy period in the evolution of rock-jazz fusion.

The only conspicuous absence is the later-released `The Lost Trident Sessions' featuring the studio material planned for the third album, some of which is performed live on BNAT but which is otherwise unavailable; and the lesser known `Inner Worlds', from 1976. The inclusion of these disks would have completed the package, but you'll have to buy them separately.

Some reviewers have complained about mistakes and omissions in the sleeve notes offered with this package, a criticism with some merit. However, it's important to keep a sense of perspective. If you buy this package, you will acquire almost all the music of the greatest fusion band ever, on high-quality digital CDs, at an unbeatable price. If having the sleeve notes is important to you then get them off the web, or go buy the individual CDs separately.

Meanwhile, just listen: the production quality of the sound is exemplary, like the original albums, and at this price you can't go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Perfect Guide to Mahavishnu, 31 Jan 2008
P. Dunhill "suddick" (Newport) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Original Album Classics (Audio CD)
This is easily the best starting place for anyone interested in discovering the heady 70's Mahavishnu brew. Whilst I agree with the previous reviewer that more scrutiny of the liner credits/notes should have been carried out by the folks at Sony I do think to actually count the number of errors made seems a little over the top to me. A sense of perspective is needed, methinks. Sorry - for me life is too short to worry about these - just enjoy the music. Having grown up with the music I know who played what and there is always the net if one needs more info. All in all this and the accompanying McLaughlin set are superb value for the price and I would unreservedly recommend them to anyone wishing to discover the world of one of Britain's, nay the world's, best guitarists.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Original Album Series, 2 Mar 2012
Andrew Aitken "clyde399" (scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Original Album Classics (Audio CD)
When I saw the reviews for this box I ordered a copy right away. I had the 1st and 2nd on album and Apocalypse on cd - selling those paid for the box! I've been a big fan of Mahavishnu since I saw them at Knebworth in the 70's. Having these 5 recordings in their original sleeves and digitally remastered just makes me play them more which is all you can ask of a re-release. I have no issue at all with the absence of inner sleeve notes as only Apocalypse and Emerald Beyond had them anyway.
Buying this made me curious as to what else was available and I was pleasantly surprised to see John's old boss Miles Davis is available as well as Soft Machine Weather Report and Tom Waits. I guess downloads - fee and otherwise - have led to the cheap release price and for that, we can all be grateful.

5.0 out of 5 stars All the music but no frills, 23 Oct 2010
This review is from: Original Album Classics (Audio CD)
5 great albums in paper sleeves with the original album art. No additional notes but if you have the original albums on vinyl then it won't matter. Fantastic value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and cheap, 9 Mar 2008
This review is from: Original Album Classics (Audio CD)
This is a fabulously cheap way of acquiring this music. Marvellous playing by all the personnel in each incarnation of the group. Don't worry about crap liner notes and cheap presentation this is ensemble playing of the utmost brilliance.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a bargain, 26 Sep 2010
Mr. S. Dodson "sam dodson" (Ramsgate, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Original Album Classics (Audio CD)
Brilliant value! The five cd's here show the Mahavisnu Orchestra at there incendiary best. The amazing thing apon re-listening to these albums is the extraordinary energy. especially the ones with the Billy Cobham line up. John McLaughlin playes like a man on fire. My only slight criticism here would be that Jan Hammer just plays too many notes. Big John playes a lot of notes too, they just happen to be the right ones. Brilliant punky jazz!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!!, 6 Jan 2010
This review is from: Original Album Classics (Audio CD)
A fine retrospective from one of the most innovative bands of the 70's. Some of the later stuff is less inventive and probably done to attract a wider audience,more encouraged by the record label than the band I suspect!! However this is a must have for anyone who likes their music to excite and intrigue. Impeccable musicianship throughout with many spine-tingling moments!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mahavishnu in the box, 10 Jun 2013
This review is from: Original Album Classics (Audio CD)
I love Original Album Classics series because one can get collection from one author in compact package at affordable price. Material on this collection is not new to me, three albums are already on the shelf, but for this price is nice to have five mini LP's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does this Contain the Extra "From Nothingness To Eternity" tracks downloadable on Amazon Com?, 17 Jan 2013
James Caldwell "dr_bliss" (Australia) - See all my reviews
Let me state at the outset that I think the price and value of this product is superb. One thing which irks me beyond belief, however, is that on Amazon.Com, US customers can download tracks that were NOT included in the initial "From Nothingness To Eternity" release. Amazon.com will not allow anyone outside the US to download these new, priceless MP3's, which chaffs my considerably-large rump - but I do have some hope in as much as ONE review I have found on here says that these new tracks are on this product. If I can get confirmation of this, I'll buy it in a New York minute!

Anyone who knows, please let me know @ jamescaldwell_80@kindle.com.

This product, as it stands, is worth far more. The only thing I think that could improve on it is remixing the tracks in DTS or DOLBY 5:1. Billy Cobham has done so with Spectrum, and it's HOT. Steely Dan did it about 10 years ago on a TV show and it is SWEET- keyboards coming at you from rear left, singers from rear right etc.... I would especially like to see this done with Apocalypse, since I not only adore the CD; I've seen this lineup 4 times in two different countries. Michael Walden did a 43 minute drum solo during "Hymn to Him", and it brought the roof down. I adore Billy C's drumming, but Narada Michael Walden was a monster that night. Such a great gig, and I got to watch how Johnny Mac does it from about four feet away. Very educational and demystifying for me as an aspiring player in my own right.

I recently saw a documentary on George Martin - who produced the Beatles and The Mahavisnu Orchestra on Apocalypse. He said " The hairs on the back of my head still go up when I hear 'Hymn to Him', and unfortunately he's loosing his hearing. I do heartily agree with him. That track gives me some sort of a mystical/narcotic hit. Apocalypse is deceptively, but fiercely beautiful.

Having said that, nothing beats the fury of Maha I. I regret not seeing them live, but I've heard enough shows to wonder wether McLaughlin was channeling Shiva at the time. The passion and energy in this music is extraordinary - the players being a preciously unique combo!

Please let me know if I can get those lost mp3's. The samples on Amazon.Com sounded great.

5.0 out of 5 stars The booklet some reviewer complains about is not a problem now..., 14 April 2008
This review is from: Original Album Classics (Audio CD)
... Because Sony has removed it. Only the cds come into de the pocket, with their original LP Covers, very well packaged.
The only pain is that "The Lost Trident Sessions", a post-humous album available separately, has not been included.
The whole set is remarkable and a document of jazz-rock fussion second to none. A Mojo magazine poll considered "The Inner Mountain Flame" as the best jazz-rock fussion album of all times, beating even so remarkable albums such as the famous "Third" by Soft Machine.
The magic of the band lasted through the two following albums. 'Birds of fire' keeps the quality standard of Inner Mountain and the dialogue between the musicians is a smart and sophisticated conversation between superb players. The third album 'Between Nothingness and Eternity'includes all the pyrotechnics the band was capable of. The ensemble disbanded for the last two albums. 'Apocaypse' is remarkable by having George Martin as a producer and the last album included, 'Emerald'has the presence of Mr. Ponty on violin.
However, the best gems of this compilation are the three first albums. From this period comes the missing 'Lost Trident Sessions'that is sold separately.
McLaughlin on guitar and Cobham on drums are, arguably, the best musicians on the band. Their dialogue reminds that of Townshend with Moon in the Who band or that conversation the Hendrix's guitar has with the drums kit of Mitchell. The most skillful play and the most exciting lines come from this tandem. However, the remaining musicians deserve respect and perhaps are underrated because of their humbleness within the band. As a matter of fact, they left precisely because they were excluded in a McLaughlin and Cobham show within some festival whose name I do not remember.
I find that this albums will specially appeal to those who, like me, treasure the King Crimson recordings with the Fripp-Brufford-Wetton-Cross line-up.

Original Album Classics
Original Album Classics by Mahavishnu Orchestra (Audio CD - 2007)