on 25 February 2011
I still have the original vinyl version, with it's fascinating sleeve notes about 'the single' being a dying art - just a year before the punk music explosion completely revised the format:-)

This was good value on vinyl and is even better value in its CD incarnation. There's never been a better summary of the Rolling Stones glory years IMO and the chronological format appeals to the music nerd such as I.

Track Listing (courtesy of Wiki:-) is as follows!

All songs composed by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards except as noted

Disc one
"Come On" (Chuck Berry)
"I Wanna Be Your Man" (John Lennon/Paul McCartney)
"Not Fade Away" (Norman Petty/Charles Hardin)
"Carol" (Chuck Berry)
"Tell Me"
"It's All Over Now" (Bobby Womack/Shirley Womack)
"Little Red Rooster" (Willie Dixon)
"Heart of Stone"
"Time Is on My Side" (Norman Meade)
"The Last Time"
"Play with Fire" (Nanker Phelge)
"(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction"
"Get Off of My Cloud"
"I'm Free"
"As Tears Go By" (Jagger/Richards/Andrew Oldham)
"Lady Jane"
"Paint It, Black"
"Mother's Little Helper"
"19th Nervous Breakdown"
"Under My Thumb"
"Out of Time"
"Yesterday's Papers"
"Let's Spend the Night Together"
"Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing in the Shadow?"

Disc two
"Ruby Tuesday"
"Dandelion"
"She's a Rainbow"
"We Love You"
"2000 Light Years from Home"
"Jumpin' Jack Flash"
"Street Fighting Man"
"Sympathy for the Devil"
"No Expectations"
"Let It Bleed "
"Midnight Rambler"
"Gimme Shelter"
"You Can't Always Get What You Want"
"Brown Sugar"
"Honky Tonk Women"
"Wild Horses"

Songs that are on this version but were not on the vinyl version are:
"Tell Me"
"Heart of Stone"
"Play with Fire"
"I'm Free"
"Mother's Little Helper"
"Dandelion"
"2000 Light Years from Home"
"No Expectations"
"Let It Bleed"
"Brown Sugar"
"Wild Horses"

Rock on!
on 7 December 2007
I was born at a time when this was new and significant in the musical world. Guess what? It still is!

The Stones had a peak period from mid 60s to early 70s, in my opinion; Exile on Main Street was their last great hurrah. However this collection is absolutely wonderful.

Apart from the ground breaking impact they had on the culture of the day, people sometimes overlook just how versatile they were in creating original material and playing it live.

All the killer hooks are here on everything from "Jumping" to "Last Time" to "Brown Sugar". Massive singles that still define the Stones to today. But don't forget how talented they were when putting together some incredibly beautiful Melodies. "We Love You", "Ruby Tuesday" & "Lady Jane" to name just a few. In fact, I could spend an afternoon writing about each track, but why bother, go buy it and listen yourself. Next to the Beatles, they must have one of the most impressive back catalogues of anyone from that era.

This is so rich in quality; it should be in everybody's collection.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon 29 December 2007
although there is some overlap with 40 Licks, this 2 disc collection is superb and an essential purchase. I just wish they had added some of the early EP tracks instead of the well known hits that all fans will already have. I particularly wanted You Better Move On, which had a lot of TV and radio promotion back in the day and is hard to find now. Still, at 72 mins and 75 mins respectively this is superb VFM and remastered too. Fantastic price at the moment from Amazon as well at £8.95.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 13 November 2007
So the Sony Bravia people found my favourite ever Stones track and made that fab playdoh bunny ad. Why do most of my friends think She's a Rainbow is an undiscovered track??? I've been waiting for the original Rolled Gold to come out on CD for years. Hot Rocks and 40 Licks are OK but I spent half my time jumping the lamer tracks. And now here it is and with extras. I'm very happy and would recommend this as a good starter for 10. What I love is that most of these were released years before I was born and they still stand up today.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 24 July 2009
I have to admit to getting a bit sick of the fanboys/girls on Amazon dishing out 5 stars to everything and then throwing hissy fits when another reviewer is evil enough to pass critisism.

However, Rolled Gold is deserving of 5 stars. If you're not familiar with the Rolling Stones this is a great place to start. All the classics between 1963 and 1971 are there:- Paint It Black, Satisfaction, Gimmie Shelter, Street Fighting Man, Sympathy For The Devil, Honky Tonk Woman, Jumping Jack Flash, Get Of Of My Cloud etc etc.

Other terrific inclusions are the fantastic She's A Rainbow and 2000 Light Years From Home. These songs saved the album, Their Satanic Majesties Request from being a complete duffer.

How great to also have the US single Play With Fire and the quasi Beatles Tell Me. The Chuck Berry classic Carol is also there. Legend has it that Chuck was jealous of the Stones because they could do his songs better then he did.

One of my favourites is I Wanna Be Your Man, which was written by Lennon/McCartney in a matter of minutes and given to The Rolling Stones. They take it and turn it into a snarling, foot tapping, semi classic. Listen to Brian Jones guitar break. Surely one of the first heavy metal guitar solos.

Another wonderful song in No Expectations. Brian Jones's was being edged out of the group at this time, but his slide guitar work on this track shows how hugely he contributed to the Stones

Perhaps a couple of mini quibbles. Yesterdays Papers and Dandilion are pretty poor songs by Stones standards. I'd rather have had something like Back Street Girl and The Spider And The Fly.

Overall though a worthy package.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The Rolling Stones, well, I was fortunate to have seen them 'live' at a local venue
back in 64' they were up to 'It's All Over Now' by then, which was their fourth chart
entry, of course the late 'Brian Jones' was on stage with the group back then.
back then we used to have half a dozen or so acts to watch on stage in a
around two hour presentation, from memory, though I can't remember the whole
line-up I remember 'Chuck Berry' closing the first half, the 'Stones' the second.
'P.J.Proby was also one of the acts on show.....great memories.
I purchased this release when released, at the time I was pleased to have one or
two of their well known numbers on-board a greatest-hits release that up to then
very infrequent inclusions on previous releases such as this, the songs...'I Wanna
Be Your Man' 'Little Red Rooster' I have found down the years there are allways
relevant numbers missing from this type of album, on this one or two 'Stones'
greats are missing, notably, 'I Know it's Only Rock'n'Roll but I Like it' 'Fool to Cry'
and 'Miss You' (Obviously there are more)
However that aside this 2-CD release does include many popular tracks from early
album releases along with several of their Hits of course.
My all time favourite 'Stones' number has always been 'Ruby Tuesday' which actually
topped the U.S chart back in 67' in the U.K 'Melanie' had a top ten hit with the song,
another great 'non-rock' number 'As Tears Go By' charted in the U.S at number 6
in the U.K it was a hit for 'Marianne Faithfull'
The Stones penned many great numbers, many 'Rock' and several great numbers
such as the couple I've mentioned.
To actually collect all the 'Hit' material from 'The Stones' you'd probably need to buy
or download maybe four of their 'Greatest Hits' releases, as I have done down the
years.....another good 'Greatest Hits' release was 'Forty Licks' and more recently
'GRRR'
Who would have thought that some 50 years on the 'Stones' including three of the
original line-up would be wowing the audience at Glastonbury 2013, I watched it on
TV....amazing stuff......where do they find that amount of energy, still sounding great.
Some of the tracks to cherish on this release include hits such as.....'Heart of Stone'
'The Last Time' 'I Can't Get No Satisfaction' 'Get off of My Cloud' 'Paint it Black'
'19th Nervous Breakdown' 'Jumpin' Jack Flash' 'Brown Sugar' and 'Honky Tonk
Woman' among them, among the early album material included(other than what I
mentioned earlier) 'Time is On My Side' 'Under my Thumb' 'Mothers Little Helper'
'Let's Spend the Night Together' 'She's a Rainbow' and 'Gimme Shelter' among
them (one or two of which did chart in the U.S.
overall, it, of course is a terrific item to own............Keep Rockin' 'Mick and Co'
Check it out.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 1 December 2011
you can't deny the 'stones' are one of the all time greats.
i was lucky enough to see the 'stones' at a venue when the late 'brian jones' was also on stage.
at the time they were only up to 'it's all over now' in their long career,( to be honest it was probably 'chuck berry'
i'd gone to see at the time) who could have predicted that
we would still be listening to the 'stones' music over '40' years later.

many of those great songs from down the years are on this '2-cd' set, i'm delighted to see 'little red rooster' and
'i wanna be your man' included ( both usually missing on
many of their 'greatest hit' type albums down the years.
i actually believe '40' licks is probably the best of 'the greatest' hit 'cd's' to date, taking nothing away from this very worthwhile purchase.
the only thing down the years with the 'stones' 'hit' albums' they all never quite have all the tracks you want.
this one for instance is missing my 'headline' track (as above) 'miss you'' fool to cry' and many more, but does include tracks made popular from their early albums.
l'm sure i would buy or want to buy a 'hits' only 2-4 cd set.
meanwhile what the 'label' has been doing dpwn the years probably makes good business sense ? makes you buy more i guess, trouble is you do end up with many of the tracks over and over, mind you many are worth playing on different compilations ( so if that's what it takes to get all you want from this
great 'rock' group, guess we'll just carry on .
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 2 September 2012
If your just discovered the music of The Stones, then this would be an ideal starting point.
Containing their music up until 1971, it really displays The Stones at their peak (there are a couple of albums after this, namely "Exile on Main Street" & "Some Girls"). But this record will keep you going for a while.
It also contains quite a few singles, that aren't featured on any of their studio albums, so you'd still have to buy a record like this to complete you Rolling Stones Collection.
The reason it's has a + on it, is because it was originally released in the 1970's as a double vinyl LP, but being re-released on CD, they've banged on a hole shed load more tracks.....which is nice.
on 18 September 2012
Whatever you think of the group members individually (in my case, not a lot if I'm honest), the fact remains that the Rolling Stones are one of the most important rock bands of all time.

While the "London Years Singles Collection" arguably provides a more comprehensive overview of the years covered here (i.e. up to the early 70s), this double cd is still a very good buy for casual fans who don't want to splash out on individual albums. Most of the best and biggest selling songs of the period are included.

If you also buy the (single disc) Jump Back / Best of, which covers the later years, you will have a very good overview of their lengthy career.
on 10 January 2008
This is great, yeah! Five Stars for the greatest rock 'n' roll band in the world, ever. The repackaging is great, an improvement on that awful vinyl cover, the extra tracks, CD notes in gold, sound quality, fantastic. All we need now is a compilation CD of all those early Jagger/Richard numbers from the early albums, up to Aftermath, so we don't have to wade through all of those RnB covers. Sacrilege, I know, but what a great CD that would be, eh?