Format: Audio CD|Change

on 7 January 2012
I picked this for a Christmas present for a friend, It arrived on time, She was thrilled, the CD has a nice mix of songs and they harmonise well together. The DVD is an added bonus for Daniel fans and the songs on it are different to the CD.
on 24 October 2007
A nice well-balanced easy listening album mainly sung as duets though Yes Mr Peters is more of a sung conversation. Tracks are Together Again, Top of the World (DVD), The Carnival is over(DVD), My Happiness(DVD), Are you Teasing me?, Timeless and True love love, You're my best friend (DVD), Hey Good lookin, Harbour Lights, Do you think you could love me again, Til a tear becomes a rose, I don't care, Yes Mr Peters, Daddy was an old time preacherman and Save your love.

Also on the DVD are Have you ever been lonely, Secret Love, The last thing on my mind and Making Plans (8 tracks)

Incidentally its available from Tesco at £8.97!
I've listened to and enjoyed plenty of covers albums, but this one is among the best. It comes with a free DVD. Very few of these songs have been frequently covered by other artists; those few include Together again (often covered by country singers), Harbour lights (often recorded by singers of pop oldies) and Hey good lookin' (often recorded by singers of pop and country oldies). Covers of the other songs can usually be found if you look for them (except perhaps Save your love and Do you think that you could love me again?) if you look hard enough. I won't be trying as I have most of the famous versions of these songs as well as the versions here.

This was the second duets album that Daniel and Mary recorded together. While the booklet notes points out that the songs come from different sources, nine of them began life as American country songs and another is an Irish country song (Do you think that you could love me again?). The carnival is over, Top of the world and Save your love are pop oldies from the 60s, 70s and 80s. Harbour lights, often associated with the Platters because they had a big hit with it in the 50s, actually dates from 1937. Vera Lynn recorded the original version, but Frances Langford had a big American hit with it later that year. I like all three versions, put particularly Frances' version, which utilizes a Hawaiian guitar and sounds very distinctive. An even older songs is My happiness, a fifties hit for Connie Francis that dates back to the 20s.

Some of these songs are not usually performed as duets, but work well here, especially You're my best friend (the Don Williams classic, not the Queen classic). Another song that works particularly well here is Hey good lookin', though I have heard that sung as a duet before. The voices of Daniel and Mary are very compatible, allowing them to not only sing alternately but also to trade harmonies. Many duets are limited to singing alternately because their voices don't match so well, although the end result can still be good or even brilliant.

Among the country songs covered here, I am most familiar with Daddy was an old time preacher man, originally recorded by Porter Wagoner and Dolly Parton. Daniel and Mary do a great cover of the song and obviously love Porter and Dolly's music, having recorded two of their other duets (Just someone I used to know, Jeannie's afraid of the dark) for their first duets album. Two more Porter and Dolly duets (Makin' plans, The last thing on my mind) are on the DVD that comes with this CD. Porter and Dolly's versions of Makin' plans, The last thing on my mind and Just someone I used to know were themselves covers, but although they are likely to have heard other versions of these songs, it seems likely that they covered the Porter and Dolly versions, which I think could be described as the original duet versions.

I haven't been able to see or hear the DVD, though versions of four of the songs are on the CD and two others on their first duets CD, and I've mentioned the other two above. In any event, even if (like me) you don't have a DVD player, the CD is worth the price alone.
on 12 April 2013
I bought this for my husband not realising we already had it in the large collection of D O" D cd's but he was still pleased as he now has a copy to keep in the car.
on 20 March 2013
As usual with this teaming of talent it was a joy to listen to and i feel the same after listening to it 5 times. I would reccommend this to all who enjoy these artists. R.P.
on 9 October 2013
nice collection they should do more cds together. great tracks are the carnival is over and yes mr peters save your love is the previously released live version
on 14 March 2014
Easy listening cd and a nice change to hear him being accompanied by a lady singer. I have this cd in my car and find it relaxing to listen to.
on 11 January 2013
These 2 dovetail beautifully together. Their melodies and hamonies are great to listen to, on songs that you wouldn't expect it to.
on 30 November 2013
Fans of D O'D will like this album duo of nice songs and fitting harmonies. Big D is not to everyone's taste but I just like it!
on 4 July 2013
Just as I expected. This is very good. I kind of expected this to be like this hence I ordered it. I was not wrong.