5.0 out of 5 stars Frank on Disc
Published on 18 April 2008 by Robbie Swale

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but awful sound quality on documentary
This is a very peculiar DVD for what seems to be an official release. There are official music videos as well as videos made by fans (which I have to be honest weren't all that great)

The biggest let down for me was that all the live song recordings and interviews were on a camcorder so pretty awful sound quality at times.
In one particular interview,...
Published on 25 Feb. 2009 by Ms. Heather Pearson

5.0 out of 5 stars Frank on Disc, 18 April 2008
Robbie Swale - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: All About The Destination [DVD] (DVD)
I came to this DVD needing more Frank. I had only heard (and fallen in love with) his debut album, Sleep Is for the Week, and ordered this along with the two EPs he released before that (The Real Damage and Campfire Punkrock). I don't know what I was expecting - I never really do when it comes to music DVDs - although I think I may have been hoping to discover that Frank was exactly like me (he isn't - he's taller and cleverer, although we do both have quite thin arms). You'll undoubtedly get your own things out of it, so I'll tell you about the bits that you get when you buy All About the Destination.

There are music videos, both official - remember Frank is an independent artist - and unofficial. The official ones are interesting and the Vital Signs one is great. The unofficial ones are entertaining if that's your sort of thing; but they are fan videos.

The guitar tabs (of Sleep is for the Week) are handwritten, presumably by Frank.

But of course what we usually buy music DVDs for are documentaries and live performances. The documentary (and its maker, Rachel Brooke) follows Frank for ten days or so on his tour in summer 2006. It contains several live performances, and plenty of chat. It is filmed with one camera, mostly hand held. The discussions with Frank are as candid, honest, entertaining and, well, frank as his lyrics. The documentary is dated slightly - obviously it's almost two years (and two albums released) later now - and the interviews with fans on here often concern Million Dead. These are the only interviews with Frank you can buy, and should not be sniffed at!

The live performances are filmed, for the most part, by one person and one camera. This is in many ways hugely appropriate. Frank is excellent live - he is captivating and hugely watchable, and this is caught excellently. The performances span a period of about a year - from September 2006 to a triumphant performance of The Real Damage at Reading Festival 2007. There are some wonderful moments - the feeling of some people hearing Frank for the first time and being amused and inspired by a lyric heard for the first time in Nashville Tennessee; a performance of Worse Things Happen at Sea that moved my perception of the song from good to wonderful; the recording of the album version of the Ballad of Me and My Friends; and the enjoyment on Frank's face at Reading as the audience shouts the words.

I hope that's been helpful. I don't think anyone who is interested in Frank will be disappointed by this DVD; it contains what you're after - an insight into the man and the way his mind works, and plenty of little bits and pieces to keep you entertained. And of course Frank live on disc.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but awful sound quality on documentary, 25 Feb. 2009
Ms. Heather Pearson "heth" (Exeter, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All About The Destination [DVD] (DVD)

In one particular interview, Frank is on a train on his way to a gig talking about how Black Flag inspired him. I was really straining to hear what he was saying because he was talking reasonably quietly and in the (not very) background is the sound of the train moving, announcements from the driver, etc. Another interview is held on a street where there seems to be building work in progress! Come on!!! That is amateur!

However the interviews are brutally honest and interesting. He's a smart guy with lots to say.

So 4.5 out of 5 for the content but the amateur recording is disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutley fantastic stuff!, 15 Dec. 2008
Mr. D. A. Risch (Milton Keynes, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All About The Destination [DVD] (DVD)
I love this DVD almost as much as I love Frank himself... The previous reviewer has pretty much said everything I would have said but in a far more eloquent way, so I think I'll just leave it up to them to tempt you.

All About The Destination [DVD]
All About The Destination [DVD] by Frank Turner (DVD - 2007)