5.0 out of 5 stars A Cracking Little Whistle!
I have about 40 tin whistles of various kinds, including several other models by Tony Dixon, the man responsible for this "Trad" model.

This is a simple brass whistle in the key of D. It has a moveable, thus tunable, plastic head. It looks neat, slightly different from the usual Generation and Feadog style plastic-headed models.

I am extremely...
Published on 2 Mar 2010 by R. Cadger

3.0 out of 5 stars tin whistle
I bought this for my grandson, he thinks it's great.(& easier to carry around than a saxophone or a piano)
Published 15 months ago by Bernie McEvogue

5.0 out of 5 stars A Cracking Little Whistle!, 2 Mar 2010
R. Cadger - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dixon Traditional D Whistle (Electronics)

I am extremely pleased with the Dixon Trad. It is a very easy player, taking a modest amount of air. It is controllable and responsive. Shifting between octaves is easy and the sound in both high and low registers is sweet and clear, but with some character.

It is not a very loud whistle. Possibly similar or slightly lower in volume to a Generation D. That said, neither is it too quiet for performance. I play mine in a pub ballad session and it gets the job done quite adequately.

A very nice whistle. Well worth the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best cheap whistle, 17 Sep 2010
Rhys Evans - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dixon Traditional D Whistle (Electronics)
I've been learning the whistle for about a year, struggling with generations and clarkes. I wish I'd tried the Dixon earlier. The sound quality is far more reliable than a generation (which, if the sound's good at all to begin with, will often deteriorate quickly as the mouthpiece gets clogged), and the lower octave and cross-fingered middle C are a lot stronger than on the clarke sweetone, giving a better baslance between the higher and lower notes. It's also incredibly easy to blow; on the generation in particular hitting the high notes without a horrible squawk is quite a skill to learn, whereas on the Dixon it comes easily.

The only whistle I'd recommend for someone playing the tin whistle for the first time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic instrument, accessible to all., 12 Nov 2013
This review is from: Dixon Traditional D Whistle (Electronics)
I have not been playing the tin whistle long. I got it simply to have fun with and to give me something light-hearted and fun to work on outside of my job. This certainly fits the bill and then some. In terms of £/hour of amusement, this has been a fantastic buy.

I started my whistling interest with a blue-headed Generation D. Whilst I can't fault it for 'giving me the bug', I, like many others found it to have an inconsistent tone. It sounded hollow and a bit 'hooty' in the lower register with a shrill squeaky tone in the upper register. To accompany the idiosyncratic tone, the brittle head soon cracked and broke, imparting an unwelcome fizzing/buzzing noise to the already sub-melodious character of the instrument.

After much searching, I discovered consistently good feedback on all of Tony Dixon's instruments.Tempting though the more expensive offerings were, the simple, beguiling brass whistle in D seemed a logical progression from the somewhat disappointing Generation.

I wondered how different a pipe with a few holes in could sound, very was the answer. The tone is sweet, even and melodious throughout the range. You can even get a little way into the third octave with an increased puff, widening the range of music you can attempt to learn. The higher notes are very well defined indeed. They do not screech, squawk or howl; they are pleasingly piercing without being painful.

Despite being able to write at length about the whistle, my whistling talents are fairly limited. I tend look up tunes on youtube and learn them by ear. I also 'treat' my pals renditions of 'The Final Countdown', 'Livin' on a Prayer' and other such fripperous tunes; they are shared by mobile phone on whatsapp for free!

Buy this whistle with confidence and expect many hours of simple pleasure from it. Perhaps even buy one as a present for a friend, child,parent or grandparent since they are a beautifully simple and accessible route into making your own music and having fun.

Once up and running with this beguiling brassy beauty, I asked a couple of questions via the Dixon website. They replied quickly and concisely, encouraging me to look into their free tutorials, which was nice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Affordable AND tuneable, 6 April 2012
This review is from: Dixon Traditional D Whistle (Electronics)
I have 're-discovered' folk music after a gap of over 30 years.

The Dixon Trad is a great little whistle. Previously, I'd played an original Clarke's C whistle. Learning to play a D penny whistle is challenging as I'm having to learn to 'sight-read' from scratch. The tone of the Dixon is mellow and the removeable plastic mouthpiece a boon for hygiene and maintaining good pitch.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite whistle, 7 Feb 2013
J. Russell - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dixon Traditional D Whistle (Electronics)
I've only been playing the whistle for a few months, but have already bought 5 whistles in an effort to find one I really like. I was given this one for Christmas and it is by far my favourite. It is easy to play and has a good sound. I also own the Tony Dixon alloy whistle at £45, but I prefer this cheaper one. Do not waste your money on cheap Generations and Waltons; pay the little extra and get this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great whistle, 5 Sep 2011
Jack (Chertsey, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dixon Traditional D Whistle (Electronics)
I really like this whistle, it sounds good (despite my playing) and is tuneful throughout it's range. I find it easier to play than the cheaper whistles that I have. After several months of intensive playing the plastic head piece started to crack. However, this was fixed with superglue and I continue to use it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reliable instrument, 30 Jun 2013
J. Robinson "student" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dixon Traditional D Whistle (Electronics)
Good tone. Easy to play. Suitable for beginners.
I have several Tony Dixon whistles and all are outstanding for their various prices.
This TRAD model is a good reliably performing low-cost whistle.

4.0 out of 5 stars trilling, 8 April 2013
This review is from: Dixon Traditional D Whistle (Electronics)
Good starter whistle which is what I need. You really need to try them to get the feel and sound.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful whistle, 29 Jun 2014
R. Foster (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dixon Traditional D Whistle (Electronics)
Well packed and quickly delivered. This is a cut above the cheaper whistles. It has a lovely tone and the high octave is much easier to reach without squeaking sounds. Easily blown - A great beginners whistle as many people are discouraged by cheaper whistles which really need some work to make them play reliably.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent whistle and service to boot!, 28 Jun 2014
This review is from: Dixon Traditional D Whistle (Electronics)
This is the second whistle I have purchased through Amazon via 1to1Music, both times the items have come sooner than anticipated. The first was the Oak Classic and now this Dixon Trad. They are both excellent whistles for the novice or intermediate player. I would say that my favourite of the two (edging it!), the Oak, is a little more difficult to play for beginners but gives a slightly brighter, chirpier sound. Both whistles come highly recommended and the service I have received from 1to1Music has been first class. They can expect much more of my business in the near future!

Dixon Traditional D Whistle