5.0 out of 5 stars Simplicity!
Published on 7 Jan. 2010 by kehs

2.0 out of 5 stars Burns on low
I don't know whether I have managed to purchase a faulty slow cooker but this one burns food on the left side. Doesn't matter how much liquid I put in it. Disappointing really.
Published on 1 Dec. 2011 by Ian Davis

5.0 out of 5 stars Simplicity!, 7 Jan. 2010
kehs (Hertfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Crock-Pot Chrome Slow Cooker, 6.5 Litre, Brushed Chrome (Kitchen & Home)
Who needs a cook book with this product - just chuck whatever ingrediants you have to hand into the crockpot and leave to simmer all day. When you come home at the end of a tiring work day, the smell of a delicious dinner will greet you. Bliss! Of course, there are some tasty sounding cook books for crockpots around, but I really don't feel the need to buy one. It's been a lot of fun experimenting and you really can't go wrong with this. The only thing I would say is to remember to put the vegetables on the bottom of the dish and to add enough stock. Even cleaning the crock pot is swift and easy. I should have bought one of these years ago!

2.0 out of 5 stars Burns on low, 1 Dec. 2011
Ian Davis "orangeredman" (Cheltenham, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says!, 23 Nov. 2009
We are very happy with this crock pot. It means we can prepare our meals on a sunday morning, go out all day and come home to a lovely cooked meal, and then have enough left over for a couple of evening meals in the week. For busy people this is ideal. It is simple to use, easy to clean and you can make lots of food if you want to.(or less if you don't). A bargain!

4.0 out of 5 stars worked a dream, 2 Feb. 2009
Well I got this a few days ago and instantly went out to buy a chicken.

Now, being a keen cook I wanted to try and do a roast in a slow cooker, so whacked in the chicken with a bit of butter on top, spuds, parsnips, carrots and leaks (3 hours high and 3 hours low - I was in all day and a little pressed for time hence the variation on cooking).

One thing is this will make you food very tender (meat and veg), but don't expect a roast in this too be like an oven roasted dinner. In fact, while slow cooking, the chicken drained A LOT of fat (which if you are in you could drain occasionally, but overseeing a slow cooker is not really the idea for them). The potato's and parsnips were more heavily steamed cooked than roasted, but again I expected this although if the fat was drained they may have burnt a little better, I think they absorbed a lot of water and fat.

I think it'll take a little trial and error to get perfection regarding roasts with the slow cooker, but I have no doubt there are many meals (mainly stews/casseroles/other whack everything in dishes) that can be made that are healthy and can be left well alone while they cook.

As per usual I'll give pro's and cons:

Pros :

Doesn't have a digital diplay! Pro you ask, why? Well I have had a number of appliances with digital displays over the years and must admit I found them superior to their dial/wind-up predecessors. This was until 2/3 years later where the LCD display would fade/break. Ever since I have avoided anything digital in terms of kitchen equipment.

Good capacity, this will fit large roasting joints, do 10 portions of other meals.

Bowl is ovenproof - not the lid however.

Easy to clean and non-stick - as per other non-stick cleaning i generally tend to turn the appliance on too low before wiing it with a damp cloth, the heat breaks down any residue making it a doddle to clean.

Keep warm function - good for reheating food without using the micro that would overcook it.

Cons:

No indicator light - there is no indicator light on whether the appliance is on or not.

Gets VERY hot - and it can get very hot so Con1 means you could suffer from Con2 if you don't realise it's on - don't let kids or animals near it either!

No timer - I find it strange that not many if any slow cookers have a timer. I have purchased a timer plug to compensate for this but think this would be a nice gimmick on slow cookers. I know they are designed to be left on for a long time but you never know when you are going to arrive home in the modern world!

All in all I am sure I'll enjoy many a good meal from this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kitchen revolution!, 7 Oct. 2009
K. Cassidy (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
I bought this slow cooker a few weeks ago, and am so glad that I did! I had been considering doing so for a while and did a bit of research to find out which one would be best for my family. I was not disappointed! The generous 6.5L capacity is perfect for our family - we get enough for our five hungry troops and some to put in the freezer or fridge for Dad's lunch. I've not worried about purchasing special cookbooks, standard stew style recipes have worked beautifully. Throw in some vegetables, meat/barley/lentils/whatever you've got in the pantry, herbs and spices, a bit of passata or whatever liquid you fancy and you'll have a delicious meal waiting for you at the end of the day. It's a sturdy machine, with low, high or reheat settings, strong handles, looks good... what's not to like?

5.0 out of 5 stars Good buy, 7 Dec. 2010
I was very pleased with my Crockpot great for cold weather meals especialy.
Braised Oxtail and Lancashire hotpot cooked realy well. I would have liked an other
temperature ( Med ) but it was fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crockpot SCV655 Slow Cooker Brushed Chrome 6.5L, 4 Feb. 2011
very pleased with this crockpot, great for stews, chilli, and all sorts of winter comfort food. Love making milk puddings in mine as well, rice pudding to die for! My only worry is it stands on three feet and i feel it is a tad unstable. But all in all a great product and a lovely size for 6-8 generous helpings .

2.0 out of 5 stars slow cooker or fast cooker ?, 3 May 2011
Have used this product for over 1 year and noticed that on the low setting even maximum volume of food and liquid start to 'boil' (vigorous and continuous bubbling across the surface of liquid/food).
Perhaps this 'high' cooking temperature (on the low setting) may have caused the severe cracking in the ceramic pot, resulting in Amazon replacing it (full marks to Amazon for immediately swapping the complete product) and means much higher electricity consumption when left on for extended periods.
This is a SLOW cooker, the whole point is that you should be able to leave it cooking for extended periods at low cost.
Rival suggested that it may be a faulty thermostat ... but this is a replacement of the original (bought over a year ago), hence perhaps a design issue ?

2.0 out of 5 stars Boils and sticks, 27 Jan. 2011
newmikeman (Milton Keynes, UK) - See all my reviews
We have had this model for over a year now and are trying to replace it because even on the Low setting it boils the food and causes it to stick on the bottom. If you need to stir occasionally you have to do so very gently to avoid stirring up the stuff that is stuck on the bottom as it is often burnt on. Then when you serve the food you have to be very careful not to pick up burnt bits. Before this model we had a 5 litre circular Morphy Richards and that also burnt stuff on the bottom, and that had replaced a Swan 3 litre that was excellent in every respect, but we wanted a bigger one and unfortunately made these bad choices. Could it be that either the dreaded health and safety police demand that all cooking has to involve high temperatures, or maybe that everyone's obsession with "faster!" causes the heating elements to be more powerful?

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed with the settings, 2 Mar. 2011
I broke the stonewear bowl in my Morphy Richards 3.5lt slow cooker and was looking for a replacement when this one came up recommended. I read the reviews and my partner bought me this one as a present as it had a keep warm setting which my MR didn't. Unfortunately I have to say I have been very disappointed with it.

As one of the other reviewers has said, it burns on the low setting. I left some chicken in white wine sauce in over night and got up to a congealed mess which was utterly ruined. It may be that I didn't have enough contents in to make the slow cooker work correctly as I was only making something for two people but I never had to fill my MR to the brim for that to work okay and so presumed the same thing would apply here.

I decided to give it another go and put on a lamb passanda with a lot more ingredients/liquid so it was a lot fuller. This time I only left it on low heat for an hour before turning it down to keep warm as I had seen recommended elsewhere for people using a Crock Pot. This time the whole thing turned into a watery mess after about five hours. It was edible but only just.

I shall give it one more go but if I don't get a decent result from it, it will be going on the local Freecycle and I shall be replacing it with a new Morphy Richards instead.