Format: Audio CDChange

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 10 January 2014
After watching the box set of Treme  over Christmas, I was looking for more of the real music that is featured in that show - the kind of earthy, funky Jazz that only comes from that time and place. This is certainly the real deal - rough and ready, but sincere and genuinely joyful expressions of the spirit of New Orleans.

I don't know why they are called the Hot 8 as there are 11 or 12 musicians shown as being part of the band, as well as many guests mentioned! But anyone who has watched Treme, will know that this kind of band is fluid and is basically about whoever turns up on the gig. All the band member are both musicians and singers - the singing is enthusiastic but often out of tune - but this somehow adds authenticity to the sound, which is in no way about perfection, but more about everybody having a good time and dancing.

The music is always funky and dance-oriented, but there are also some nice arrangements and while "Sexual Healing" is no doubt the stand-out track, it's just part of a whole culture of "call and response" , borrowing melodies from anywhere and putting it all together like a musical collage. The sound is determined by the practicality of marching and moving about - all brass and drums, with tuba to the fore and a lot of snare drum. So, this group can play anywhere and march in outdoor parades - the basis of this music in New Orleans - whether for a carnival or a funeral, it's always on the move.

This album is a great introduction to the band, which has a distinctive sound that may be best heard live outdoors - but if you can't get to see them live, this will do nicely.
on 15 May 2010
I've been looking for this album for ages!

I heard the Marvin Gaye cover over three years ago (i think i was in Kings Cross and Gilles Peterson or Norman Jay were playing)but never managed to find out who it was by on the night. I like to discover these things as the world presents them so didn't invest a great deal of effort trying to find it.

I was recently in Tel Aviv and this was playing in a local bar, a quick chat with the DJ gave me what i needed and now this is on my regular playlist - looking forward to playing it this summer!

Great Album - looking forward to the next discovery.
on 25 June 2014
Wow, I saw them live in Shoreditch London and straight after had to buy this album, one of the best purchases I have ever made, what a great talented group of guys. Buy it for when you are having a BBQ and you need something cool in the background, Buy it for when you are on a long commute to work and you need cheering up and, buy it when you just need to boogie!
Enjoy it folks!
on 10 November 2010
a truly brilliant melding of big band jazz, hip hop, soul and blues. I discovered this after following links on related artists from another band on spotify and enjoyed it so much I bought the album (as I always still like to do) and haven't been disappointed.
on 21 January 2015
This was bought for my husband, he loves the group
on 19 May 2013
Very laid back but very cheerful sounding! Great! I like the fact that the covers have a particular twist on the original versions and love the arrangements for each track.
on 20 September 2015
wowee so exciting
on 22 October 2008
I first heard Hot 8's cover of Sexual Healing when I saw Koop a couple of years back and was blown away. What a tune!!! I ran over to ask the support DJ who it was and he told me it was the Hot 8 Brass Band. Tried to order online the next day but to no avail and had forgotten all about it until I spotted that DJ Yoda had it on his Fabric album. Bless him! Found the album on amazon and ordered it straight away. No idea what the rest of the tracks are like but frankly I couldn't give a hoot, unlike those cheeky Hot 8 dudes. Buy this now and impress all your mates by sticking it on at the next party you rock up to.... Awesome!!
0Comment4 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse