5.0 out of 5 stars Another resounding victory for Pro Evo
If you've got a decent PC, and don't have the cash yet for a PS3 or an X-Box360 then the PC version of Pro Evolution 2008 will do very nicely. Unlike with the PS2 version, the game has been overhauled to make things such as taking it round players far more realistic and in general the game just plays really, really well.

Pro Evolution 2008 improves upon the...
Published on 4 Nov. 2007 by Mr S

2.0 out of 5 stars The thrill is gone
Published on 27 Oct. 2007 by gowanouttadat

2.0 out of 5 stars The thrill is gone, 27 Oct. 2007
This review is from: Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (PC DVD) (Video Game)
PES6 was a poor port from the PS2 version. PES 2008 is a port of the Xbox 360 version. The gameplay is noticeably different. For a start, the games are much faster. The ball physics are very different, with the ball behaving like rubber, bouncing and slithering all over the place. This is not the considered game that PES6 was. It plays more like an arcade game. It lacks the depth of previous PES editions.

I'm playing on a 1.7Gh Centrino laptop, 1 Gb ram. I play at lowest quality because it runs smoother, without frameskip.

Even at high quality the graphics are quite disappointing. The players shuffle upfield like demented shrimps. The ball seems to slide rather than roll. The grass on the stadiums is awful on the eyes. Hopefully some decent option files will be released soon.

The music is truely awful, and the commentary stinks, as usual. Sorry, it's the truth.

The strikers are all too powerful, and shooting and scoring is much easier. I was soon nettingg some spectacular volleys at pro level, but there was little satisfaction because it felt TOO easy. I felt almost... helped...

The CPU is obviously in control of the ebb -and -flow of matches, not you or your skill. The AI, although showing some improvement, has too many inconsistencies that ruin flow. Don't expect quick centre support if you're dashing up the wing!

There are many annoying little bugs and ommissions. It is a sloppy, rushed release and really feels like it.

Despite the many gripes, the game is still very playable, but, dare I say it, I think after two days I'm already bored of it. Too predictable. The core brilliance of PES is there, but it is hampered by a poor implementation.

I'll definitely try out the online once the servers are active, but I fully expect manic goalfests, not the beautiful game.

Back to PES6 which, despite it's flaws, is still the best football game of all time. Just my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another resounding victory for Pro Evo, 4 Nov. 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (PC DVD) (Video Game)

Pro Evolution 2008 improves upon the classic series, and remains the choice for true football fans. If you like shiny graphics, "roster swaps" (whatever they are) and presentation over football, or you're just a casual fan, FIFA is for you. If you want the proper football experience, and don't mind spending 2 precious seconds changing "Man Red" to "Manchester United" then this is the game for you.

Aside from a failure to get key English clubs licensed, all the real player names are there for the clubs so even for you Premiership fans out there its fine. Everybody knows an update patch is so easy to come across these days anyway. Other than that you've got Serie A, Ligue 1, La Liga etc along with a welcome batch including some new Swedish, Polish and Russian sides to make this game the best football game out.

1.0 out of 5 stars Never Buy The Next PES before Reading Enough Reviews, 23 July 2008
Y. Zohny - See all my reviews
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (PC DVD) (Video Game)
First of all, I started by playing PES4 and bought PES games every year without a question. Now with this garbage named PES 2008, we get a beta game not a full release especially the awkward online mode.

PES 2008 online is horrendous, I buy this game every year just to play online, its much more fun to play against a human opponent not AI. Well, my experience was horrible. Firstly, LAG, almost every matches has lag spikes that often result in conceding silly goals, sometimes the ball disappears then reappears on the other side of the pitch then bam, congratulations, you just have conceded a goal due to Konami's stupid online coding. In other cases, I succeed in tackling the ball from a striker and run with the ball for a second, then all of a sudden, I find him with the ball in front of my goalkeeper and bam, another goal conceded!!

Konami does nothing to stop lag, not to mention cheaters. The top of the ladder is a cheater and his name is Duix or something like that, I played him before, and all he does is kick off, massiiiiiiiivvvvvve lagggg BAAMM goaaal, rinse and repeat.

Believe me, you will keep cursing in front of your computer if you play online and try to climb the ladder in a fair way. Another thing not related to lag but poor coding of the game and goalkeepers who look like idiots. some players online play corners in a way that ALWAYS result in the goalkeeper putting the ball into his own net, BAAMMM another silly goal to elevate your blood pressure and make you curse even more. Add to this goalkeepers who can't parry the ball away but fall on their arses and let the ball go in.

Another frustration is playing against opponents playing INTER MILAN, Man United and sometimes Barcelona or Brazil. Here is the scienario, Kick off, pass to Ronaldinho, Ibrahimovic or C. Ronaldo for example and let the wonder goals begin, player dribbling from the half way line and get past everyone else like a speedy train and then BAMMM another sucky goal that will make you hate your life.

IN online mode, there is no 2 vs 2, no 3 v3, no tournaments, nothing more than playing ranking matches for the top of ladder or friendlies. The previous version had more than that, KONAMI?are you improving your game or going backwards?

In conclusion, I stopped playing online, its pointless and waste of time. I will never buy PES game again before reading enough customer reviews and make sure that the online mode is working as intended and that I am getting a complete product that improves over its predecessors.

2.0 out of 5 stars What happened guys?, 8 Mar. 2008
Amazon Customer (Aberdeen, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (PC DVD) (Video Game)
I'm stunned by how bad this game is -

The corners are next to useless, although still impossible to defend. T

The AI is dreadful - I've lost count of how often I've been breaking down the wing, and just as I've thought about knocking a cross in... the lone player that's actually decided to join the attack decides to run away from the goal to hover pointlessly on the edge of the box; another trick of my attacking teammates is to run away from space and towards defenders (not exactly helpful); it's not uncommon for players not in your control to get out of the way of both the ball and opposing players; and most irritatingly your teammates seem to be more concerned with covering defensively when you've got the ball, no matter what you've got the Att. / Def. levels to.

The ref's are still dreadful. Sliding tackles from the side are now a foul, and if you leave your feet and are penalised you can guarantee a card. Red cards for the most inane of offenses make a regular appearance. In my current Master League team, I've gone 5 straight games with no fouls in my favour. In those same 5 games, I've had an AVERAGE of 4 yellow cards and one red. How does that work?

These are the main gripes, but honestly I could go on all day. If this was the first version of this franchise I could understand it, but it's not. The same stupid problems get carried over from game to game, and in some cases get worse and worse.

I used to spend HOURS at a time playing this game on the PS1... I can't play the latest PC version for more than 15 mins without having to switch it off.

Save your money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hax?, 15 Jan. 2008
Philip Arthur "phil" (Scotland (part of the UK)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (PC DVD) (Video Game)
The game overall at first appears excellent but then after a while you start to notice something strange.

First of all the good points the graphics are pretty good not ground breaking but decent. The commentary is unfortunately pretty awful and gets repetitive after about 2 matches. Then theres the music well what can I say, my theory is they got a monkey to pick a selection from the worst 20 pieces of music ever conceived.

The gameplays ok and hasnt really changed much since the earlier installments in the series. The only real aspect of the game that is better than FIFA is the ball physics and player reactions/mannerisms etc.

As i mentioned earlier now for the weird bit. I noticed that quite often it seems pretty much impossible to get the ball off the opposing team and at other times relatively simple. The same story goes for scoring goals, I know your probably thinking this guy just must suck a pro evo and thats what footballs meant to be like. However I believe that the results to games are already decided by the game before they even start. That would explain why for huge spells of the match its impossible to get the ball then at others scoring a goal is sooooo easy its untrue. It would also explain how the AI scores these wonderous goals from 40 metres out that just sail in with players that are supposed to be from the 3rd division.

So in essence if you want a decent football game that doesnt severely piss you off. Buy the new Fifa game and not this, unless however you are a die hard PES fan.

Maybe they'll bring out a patch to fix this............

Edit - Forgot to mention the ref is awful also as the players team gets penalised for the slightest wrong challenge and red cards arent uncommon. However the opposing team seem to slide tackle my players not even get the ball send them flying and stroll on as if nothing happened.

2.0 out of 5 stars A let down, 28 Oct. 2007
P. Jackson "PJ1" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (PC DVD) (Video Game)
I bought the game on Friday, anticipating another sublime football game from Konomai's PES series. My first impression was, oh dear! The excellent control and responsiveness of PES 6 has gone replaced with a much less sophisticated game engine in PES 7; the passing is easier and less realistic: the ball flies around like a ping pong ball, the shot variation and quality has been reduced and therefore made less realistic and I find there is less skill involved in playing the game and scoring a goal compared to PES 6.
I have been playing the PES series on the PC since PES 3 and i have found that with each new series the graphics and gameplay have been improved and made more realistic, although the graphics are a step forward in PES 7 the gameplay is, in my opinion, found wanting and a definite step backwards compared to its predecessor.

2.0 out of 5 stars What a shame, 28 Oct. 2007
L. Jones "Claude the Wondercat" (Denbighshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (PC DVD) (Video Game)
I have loved every offering of the Pro Evo series on the PC until now. I've been playing PES 2008 since buying it on Friday, hoping it would grow on me, but unfortunately, it hasn't.
It feels like it has been rushed out and it doesn't have the fluidity of previous versions. Gone is the smooth, responsive realism and it has been replaced with a game that is much less fun to play. Sure, the graphics are better, but what use are better graphics when the gameplay isn't there?
It's still much better than the FIFA series, but that doesn't say much!You'd be better buying/sticking with PES 6 and downloading a 07/08 season option file.
Let's hope that Konami learn from this and future versions retain the fun, instinctiveness of previous versions.

3.0 out of 5 stars Devolution Soccer, 13 Nov. 2007
Bryan Cooper (West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (PC DVD) (Video Game)
Okay first things first, to pick up what a couple of reviewers have said about "ignore the bad reviews, i know what i'm talking about". A) That's just so annoyingly and dismissively arrogant, and B) I made the mistake of ignoring the bad reviews and bought it anyway.

Sure there'll be some people wanting to try the PES brand for the first time, but let's be honest most of the demographic are PES stalwarts and, like me, would've got it anyway. Cos.... Konami consitently give us what we want. Right?

Well this time, it seems like they've shown a couple of screenshots of versions gone by, and given the loose concept to a whole group of new guys to program from scratch. There's little of the hereditory 'feel' where you feel the sequel's at least evolved in some way from it's predecessor. From the word go i felt a tremendous sadness and disappointment... disappointment at the way centre backs defy conventions of collision detection and gawkily run 'through' the ball; midfielders leaving the ball behind despite it being at their feet; strikers inexplicably change their run as you try to play them in; oh and don't get me started on the goalkeepers. Ok then, do. The goalies panic when there's a shot hit at their near post and often can't be arsed coming for crosses if it's beyond their six-yard box.

Goalie: "Me Guv'nor? Sorry... i was gambling on the collision detection screwing up again. My bad. Next time i'll move, i promise."

It's a shame... not just because i adore the other PES games... all of them... but also because there are some cute ideas in PES 2008. The referee gets in the way sometimes, there's diving, players make bursting runs when you play a one-two... it's cool.

Y'know i stripped the game down to it's bare bones, turned the graphics to minimum spec, cos if anything PES games always have the playability. I don't care much for the licenses or official endorsements etc.... but it killed me to conclude that PES 2008 is little more than Fifa but without the gameplay. ie... it's like Fifa. The fluid, liquid gaming experience is gone, replaced by an awkward lurch of a game.

It's gutting. I so wanted to love this, you don't know how much. But i can't. It's a horrible mess, and i'm very angry.

3.0 out of 5 stars A step backwards, 27 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (PC DVD) (Video Game)
This game is neither the improvement on its predecessor that faithful fans of the series (such as myself) were hoping for, nor is it a particularly good introduction to the world of Pro Evo. While the game has the potential to yield some wonderful gaming, the general inconsistency of the gaming experience is not something I'd expect from the usually solid and immensely superior footy series.

I've never really wanted the kind of superficiality that used to draw me to the FIFA games. All I really wanted, and discovered with PES, is an immensely playable and believable gaming experience. This incarnation simply doesn't deliver that at the same level of the games that have followed it.

If you've got a previous edition of PES, stick with it. If you've never owned a PES before, go for one of the earlier versions. PESS 2008 would perhaps be a good game on its own, but for my money it's not up to scratch with the standard I've come to expect from successively entertaining and enduring games from the same people.

If you want specifics, I'll give you the main things that have soured my opinion of this game. The refereeing is poor, the goalkeepers are worse, and the way your players respond to you is unpredicatable game by game. I relish a challenge, I love to play intricate football and I really, really enjoy scoring goals I've worked for. But when your whole teams handles like their boots are made of granite and they've been out on the piss the night before, your efforts can seem awfully wasted.

I know this review is a negative one, but such is my disappointment. I love the series, and I'll probably buy the next PES with the same blind admiration that prompted me to buy this one in spite of the mixed reviews. At the same time, I'm seriously considering uninstalling this game and going back to the last one. There just isn't the same excitement and enjoyment that kept me playing previous PESes for hours at a time, even long after the latest version had come out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Oh no Evo?, 4 Dec. 2007
This review is from: Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (PC DVD) (Video Game)
The last version of PES I had was PES 4 on the Xbox. It was a brilliant game compared to the opposition at the time. Sure there was some predictability in the tactics and routes to goal (down the flanks and medium cross), but the feel of the game, the flow of the game and the ball physics were exceptional.

Three years on and I find it hard to take that PES 2008 is, in some respects, worse than PES 4. OK, the graphics are better, the presentation is somewhat better, the commentary by John Champion is a lot better (sorry, Mark Lawrenson, you are terribly wooden) and there are some nice tweaks, but how is it that the very basics, the ball physics, can be worse? As others have said, the ball occasionally feels like its sliding rather than rolling, crosses dip as if it were a cannon ball and the pacing of its movement feels all wrong on occasions.

In fact the pacing of the game is all wrong compared to PES 4. It's far too frenetic. Your general workaday pro plays like he's on ice, careering around, lurching past the ball. The passing accuracy has also gone downhill - through passes regularly go to an entirely different player to the one you (clearly) intended, short passes go nowhere at all and the dreaded knock back by the centre forward can inexplicably travel back half the pitch towards your centre back to be picked up by a forward. Problems I never really encountered with PES 4. The much vaunted improved AI also seems to regularly go walkabout, with defenders running away from marauding midfielders who are allowed to run the length of the pitch into acres of space.

The widescreen picture is a better perspective, but quite why my six month old dual core computer can't manage to show the graphics at highest res on full screen (I'm forced to set it at intermediate quality) is quite beyond me. (It manages to show FIFA 07, which I got free with the computer, I hasten to add, in high quality on full screen without any problems.) The grass is awful, however, more like a Brintons carpet than the real stuff (though PES 4 had its rutted pitch on which it was impossible to see the ball - do they not test these games thoroughly??) And the replays are awfully jerky.

But I can't quite bring myself to dislike PES 2008. I am hugely disappointed with it, yes, but I am still persevering with it, trying to come to grips with it and find the game in there. I get the impression that they have removed the predictability of the play to a large degree so scoring goals using the same routine doesn't seem to happen (at least regularly). And there are still those sublime PES moments (Maik Taylor coming out of his goal to head away a long through ball from Jon Carew, only for it to fall invitingly to Ashley Young just inside the Blues half for a left foot half volley curled, one bounce, into the net) that makes PES what it is/was.

I won't try and compare it to FIFA 07, which I've also played on PC, as comparisons are invidious, particularly with two such different offerings.

Please Konami go back to the pacing and the ball physics of 2005, why on earth did you have to "fix" something that wasn't broken!

Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (PC DVD)
Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (PC DVD) by Konami (Windows XP)