4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent after driver update.
Very good product that worked well for me.

I will not write a long review of this card but I will let you have some very valuable information that may help.

Do not install drivers from the CD. They are hopelessly out of date. Download them from the Edimax site. This solves 90% of the problems people are having with this card.

There are...
Published on 19 May 2009 by J. Hayes

1.0 out of 5 stars PCI adaptor
Followed instructions but keeps dropping out or won't connect at all.Loaded new drivers just the same.This product is a waste of money.
Published on 14 Jan 2012 by Mr B

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent after driver update., 19 May 2009
J. Hayes (Suffolk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Edimax EW-7728In 802.11n PCI WiFi Card (Electronics)
Very good product that worked well for me.

There are still bugs with the latest Edimax drivers however. This is because they have not updated their driver package to include the latest chipset drivers from RALINK (who make the actual chip that is used in this card and most other n wireless products)

You can download these drivers from the RALINK website. This will give you the 2.3.2.0 drivers instead of the 2.0.3 drivers on the Edimax site.

There are numerous bug fixes. The daddy of which solves constant freezing on windows vista 64 bit operating systems running 4gb of ram. I have seen many forum users on technology sites with this issue.

You can view full release notes on the drivers before you download them.

It took me several hours of research to find this out, after my system constantly froze. Now I am getting the best out of this fine product.

If you are a typical consumer then download the Edimax drivers.

If you are computer literate, or are using vista 64 with 4gb of ram then investigate RA link for the latest chipset drivers.

Once again, bin the CD and do not be tempted to install the drivers contained thereon - which have significant problems.

If you decide to upgrade to RALINK drivers on the strength of this, then be sure to carefully review the release notes and uninstall the Edimax drivers first - following all prompts on your system. You will also need to re-enter your router key. It will not affect the status of your router or other items on your home network.

- Jamie

*EDIT* 09.10.11. Ralink Drivers now at 3.2.1.0 dated 25.05.11. Go to the support pages and look for the drivers that mention RT2860. Whilst all the bugs had been ironed out in earlier drivers I did notice some improvements with the latest drivers. Specifically I had less lag whilst online FPS gaming.

*EDIT* 28.07.12 Ralink Drivers now at 3.2.12.0 dated April 2012.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy install and strong stable signal, 27 Feb 2010
S. W. Dolby - See all my reviews
This review is from: Edimax EW-7728In 802.11n PCI WiFi Card (Electronics)
This card has a real quality look and feel to it and gives very good signal strength. Mine shipped with the Edimax drivers and utility CD dated December 2009 Version 3.0 and I've had a great signal with no dropouts. My PC is running XP Pro and modem/router is a Thomson TG585 v7 on O2 Broadband. The router is about 20 feet away, through one stud partition wall.

Start by putting the adapter into a PCI slot, connect the antennas and then restart the computer. Cancel the Found New Hardware Wizard when you boot up after putting the card in and then just run the software install from the CD. The card then immediately picked up nearby wireless networks including mine and that I was using WPA encryption. All I had to do was highlight my network, click Connect and enter my pass key and that was it. The time taken was about half an hour including opening the box and checking the software version, order of operation, etc. The software install and connection to my network was straight forward with no hitches, which makes a very pleasant change especially for wireless equipment.

There is a manual on the CD that covers this card along with other items in the Edimax wireless LAN series but I found that it was not needed.

This card was for a PC I built to hook up to our main TV so we can watch iPlayer in comfort, big screen, full sound system. The Edimax utility icon in the system tray reports Normal signal and the Windows wireless icon reports Very Good and iPlayer runs flawlessly.

For comparison I previously tried a Netgear WG311, which would hardly get any signal at all and then a replacement WG311 that was not much better. I then borrowed a Linksys WMP 54G that was good. Nearly got one of those but in the end I liked the look of the 3 Antenna setup of the Edimax for just a few pounds more. I'm pleased I spent a little extra for a quality card and, hopefully, I won't have to worry about dropouts. A definite recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple to install & worked straight away, 30 Oct 2010
W. F. Walker (London, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Edimax EW-7728In 802.11n PCI WiFi Card (Electronics)
The card itself looks robust and well made. I've bought an Edimax router before and they seem to create good quality products - at least as good as some of the big brands in PC World, etc that you'd pay twice as much for.
Took the advice of one of the other reviewers and downloaded the drivers from the Edimax site rather than use the disk which came with the card. Even when you download the drivers from the net, it's still a fully automated installation, so virtually idiot-proof! Basically, if you've got sufficient knowledge to be looking for a PCI card rather than a USB device, then you'll have no problems getting this to work straight out of the box.
Everything worked immediately and without issue (I'm running Windows XP SP3 on an old home-built PC).
Wish now that I'd made the jump to wireless years ago. Had I known how painless an experience it was going to be, I would have!

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than closest competitors for the price, 20 Jan 2009
This review is from: Edimax EW-7728In 802.11n PCI WiFi Card (Electronics)
I tried a Netgear WG311 card before this one and the difference is incomparable. No freezing - full Vista32 support, good throughput, good wireless management software (you can monitor realtime performance of the card) and none of the memory-management issues I've seen with other cards. And you really can't beat it at that price. Ignore the negative review(s?) - I'm using this card to link to a Netgear router (Virgin media bundle) on the other side of an inside wall and the signal is always excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality item, don't be put off by the price!, 15 Dec 2008
Mr. D. Wilson "Dave Wilson" (England. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Edimax EW-7728In 802.11n PCI WiFi Card (Electronics)
I bought this as cheaper alternative to the branded cards by D-link etc. I was expecting a cheap product. What I got was an inexpensive product, but definitely not cheap.
On first impressions the unit comes packaged in a nice glossy box, with lots of pictures and info - full retail packaging. Inside I was then struck by the card itself; The back plate is almost bullet proof and is firmly screwed to the board. All contacts and circuitry appear to be gold plated, right down to the aerial connectors. Even the thick metal heat sink is gold plated, so no cheap compromises - this is top quality kit. Inside the box is also a CD and manual. The manual is again colour and glossy with lots of screen shots. For once it is written in "real" English not a roughly translated copy. To be honest you don't need it; -. Just plug it in, and stick in the CD. The software and drivers load and everything is set up. All I had to do was enter my wireless key code (from the back of my Bt home hub). The network was detected and connected in seconds with full signal strength. So all in all a great quality product well packaged, easy to install, and works a treat. So why pay double for a brand name (which probably comes out of the same factory anyway).
p.s. phone up BT and ask them nicely for a new black home hub (free - I got mine today). In theory this card should give me 300mbits and increased range when used in 802.11n mode. Dave.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Reliable Performance, 4 Sep 2009
Mr. Andrew D. Bee "BeeBoy" (Hessle, East Yorkshire,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Edimax EW-7728In 802.11n PCI WiFi Card (Electronics)
This product has proved to be very reliable on my Windows XP PC. It worked straight out of the box and I've never had any problem with lost connections, unlike with my previous Netgear wireless USB connection. I also bought the Edimax antenna relocate product as my PC is at the back of a drawer unit and that does help with the signal strength.
With a little playing with the position of the antenna I'm getting 270Mb connection to my Edimax 7265 ADSL2+ wireless router and a rock solid connection even through 3 walls and 60 foot away. I've not lost connection to the router once in 4 weeks. Downloads and video streaming are super fast.
Compared to my previous attempted at running wirelessly I am overjoyed at the performance I'm getting now - sad I know.

1.0 out of 5 stars PCI adaptor, 14 Jan 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and good, 4 Mar 2009
Andrew Mcgrath "Andy McGrath" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Edimax EW-7728In 802.11n PCI WiFi Card (Electronics)
Very easy to install and set up . Now have a fast wireless N network. Extremely pleased!

5.0 out of 5 stars edimax 3-aerial wireless-n pci card, 4 Dec 2009
This review is from: Edimax EW-7728In 802.11n PCI WiFi Card (Electronics)
this card i have bought twice, one as a present for someone (they didnt end up using it but they thought it was a good buy)
this time around, i wanted to build a wireless home server, with some good stuff like game server (lan) and mabye tv-output.

now in order to use this without trapse-ing wires around my home, i decided on a card that stated, linux and vista compatable.
why? (because you just know, that if for some reason u wanted to try brilliant free operating systems, in my case "Ubuntu Gnu/Linux", u just know u have little to think about, apart from entering your wireless password and your good to go.)

now, it works quite well on both xp (which i had previously) and ubuntu jaunty release (yes it will work beyond this version, but you need to find the drivers or re-compile them, this can be a downside, they should of released the source to the community so they could update for all the brands of linux and unix) while windows can be the easier option, it is known for having bandwidth reservations by up to 20% of your total cards capacity/speed (just for updates), ubuntu doesnt need such limits, nor does other linux distributions for that matter.

if you do decide to get this card, CHECK WITH YOUR DISTRIBUTION via forums or groups, to see if they have support for it.
if u have windows, then please feel free to use this baby, its quick, but look out on the web to somehow disable the microsoft bandwidth limit

hope this helps.

p.s the windows installer is quite simple so dont feel my review as if i thought it was complex, it was quite easy.

5.0 out of 5 stars PCI-E Wifi Card, 27 Nov 2009
Mrs. Dalal Ender (UK London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Edimax EW-7728In 802.11n PCI WiFi Card (Electronics)
Fast shipment. I use Linux OS 'Jaunty Jackalope' and it plugged in and worked off the bat! No installations of any kind. Great reception coverage and speed. Thanx!