5.0 out of 5 stars Getting Fit is Fun?????
Published on 9 Sep 2008 by Kiltie Chisholm

3.0 out of 5 stars Reviewed after owning for 6 months
I thought it wise to wait until my Wii Fit was given a fair amount of time to "bed in" before writing a review. I don't have gym membership, I'm overweight and underfit. I have now had the board for roughly six months and have used it fairly extensively and therefore feel ready to talk about it!

The first few honeymoon weeks are great. Particularly if you...
Published on 7 Feb 2009 by Kate Walker

5.0 out of 5 stars Getting Fit is Fun?????, 9 Sep 2008
This review is from: Wii Fit (Wii) (Video Game)
My husband & I deliberately took our time to purchase a Wii Fit as we wanted to see a few reviews before taking the plunge. A few friends had got one and they liked it. However, the seal of approval that came from my brother-in-law was the one that made us decide. He had his a week and cancelled his gym subscription saying that this Wii Fit was better than any gym and made him "use muscles he didn't know he had!" From a bloke who was in the army for 10 years, that is some endorsement!!

We got ours last week and apart from being perhaps a wee bit awkward to set up - mostly in the configuring the balance board to the console; the instructions on this aren't the best - but once it was up & running, it was a dawdle.

You have to load in personal details like your age & height but this is easily done with your normal Wii remote. There is emphasis on your balance & centre of gravity and is the starting point for your assessment. This made me think of the Alexander Technique which is considered to be the best 'thing' for posture improvement etc. A few fun games later & this thing has you sussed. It then gives you the once over for weight, height etc and presents you with the final reading. I had no problems with either the BMI or the weight it gave me. Both of these were in keeping with my last gym assessment.

I am a member of a ladies 30-min gym which concentrates mostly on muscle tone so my cardiovascular exercise is not what I would like it to be. I don't really have enough self-discipline to go out running or swimming etc which was one of the main reasons for getting the Wii Fit. I still thought I was of ok fitness though..... until I got on the darn thing!!!

I warmed up with a couple of Hula Hoop sessions (2 mins each) - dead easy I thought as I puffed a wee teeny bit. Then I had a go at the basic Step (never done step in my life btw!) - 3 mins later, a bit more puffing and a head dizzy with trying to keep up!! However, don't be put off, once you've done the Step about 3 times you really get the hang of it. I then went for broke on the Jogging - hahahahahahahahaha! "3 mins???? You're having a laugh" I wheezed...... after a minute and a half!! This for me was the cruncher - it darn near killed me!! Fit my bottom!! After 20 minutes of these various activities I was only fit to keel over! However, you WILL get back what you put in and a week down the line I can now do a 3 min jog without sounding like someone's ripped my lungs out.

My husband passed his opinion of the muscle tone section as I myself am not using that right now. His comment was "It's hard" injected with many words that it would be inappropriate to type here. He has also cancelled his gym membership as he feels he is getting more from the Wii Fit than he did down the gym.

The balance games are great fun and I personally like them for cooling down after a good work out on the Aerobics. These are very good for making you change the manner in which you stand and carry yourself. The Ski Jumping is a personal favourite.

I have been advised by a yoga-class-attending person that the Yoga programme is very good and she highly recommends it. I have yet to get that far.

All in all, I think the Wii Fit is good value for money, I think it is of a high motivational standard and I do believe that if you really DO want to improve your fitness level, this will help greatly. The top ten ranking system is very good for ensuring you keep at it because you will always want to better your score or beat that of others.

Additionally, and just a wee tip/suggestion, when we bought our Wii Fit, it was recommended to us that we purchase a silicon cover to assist with keeping it clean and to prevent the board becoming discoloured. I would recommend this to any would-be purchasers. The covers have two 'footprint' grips on them which prevent you from sliding if you're working out in socks or bare-footed, which is how some people prefer it. The board itself is quite smooth and I think it would be quite easy to slip on it if you weren't wearing trainers.

Finally, I'm glad we bought the Wii Fit, I'm enjoying the fact that the more time you're on it, the more games you unlock which prevents the likelyhood of getting bored with it too quickly. Just remember though - it ain't a miracle machine and you have to work it baby to get results. If only I had known that.......... (sigh!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Does this spell the end for the gym???, 1 May 2008
K. Waugh (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wii Fit (Wii) (Video Game)
Well, I've had my Wii Fit for a week now and I'm still as hooked. Infact, as you unlock more features the more you use it, I'm even MORE impressed than I was when I got it, and that's saying something!

If you are considering the Wii Fit because you want to lose some weight, or tone up, or improve your fitness, then I can say without fear that this WILL provide you with all you need to achieve your goal. Whatever your current activity level, Wii Fit has something to help you improve.

I was concerned that perhaps this would be a 'token gesture' of a fitness game. It isn't. This is the real thing and Nintendo should be congratulated on not just throwing out a quick fitness gimmick, but on taking the time to really cover all aspects of fitness.

Not only have I used this every day, but I wake up looking forward to my next shot! I spend time working on my posture and balance - which is built into some great games but which are also very insightful, and a bit of an eyeopener. The Balance Board is so well created that, in seconds, it was able to tell a friend of mine that he slouches, has terrible posture, and explained exactly what he was doing wrong, and how he could correct it. It was absolutely bang on.

I then spend time doing some aerobic activity, like jogging, hula hoops (great for the hips, thighs, and bum), and step dance. This lot will have you sweating every bit as much as a trip to the gym. But it's great fun too!

I can then spend some time on toning up with the help of my personal trainer. And to cool down, I do some yoga... something I have never even considered before but which I'm enjoying. The board is so sensitive that it really ensures you achieve the correct technique.

This is a real workout, every bit as productive as a trip to the gym. I have a gym membership and, when I manage to drag myself up there, I do enjoy it. The problem is I don't drag myself up there enough. Maybe I've only a couple of hours before I start work; maybe it's rush hour and I can't be bothered getting stuck in traffic; maybe it's raining. There's always a reason not to go.

The beauty of Wii Fit is it's waiting for you, right in your livingroom, whenever you want it. It's fun, it's inventive, it's personal and gives real time feedback. Forget the gym. Forget your workout video. Wii Fit WILL get you into shape, and you'll love every second!

5.0 out of 5 stars Getting fit at last is fun!!, 30 April 2008
This review is from: Wii Fit (Wii) (Video Game)
Having tried gym membership several times over the years with the best of intentions I can honestly say this is so much more fun! I must admit I have concentrated more on the "fun" aerobic & balance exercises and haven't tried out yoga at all yet. The muscle strengthening exercises are even interesting as you endevour to keep your balance in the correct place ....which also helps to ensure you do the exercise properly.

Hula hoops certainly works the abdo muscles ( ones I didn't know I had !!) and the step routine is just like the real thing ( and I still go the wrong way.)
If you can ski the slalom brings back memories of winter holidays... and my husband who can't ski, skiied it just like beginners do by trying to turn with his shoulders !! The running you would think is a a gimmick but it is so much easier running on your lounge floor after a little Mii and being overtaken by dogs !! I even found myself waving at spectators on the grass (well they waved at me first!!) And every now & then something happens to make you laugh ...like being overtaken by another mii who then promptly falls flat on his face.

All in all ..... great fun and a good aid to fitness for the unfit & the over 40's who don't what to compete in the gym but don't want to turn to seed either !!

Get it ..... you won't regret it

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth getting - a total family hit, 9 Aug 2008
This review is from: Wii Fit (Wii) (Video Game)
The Wii Fit is absolutely brilliant for the whole family - we actually cry with laughter at our efforts to perform the tasks it takes us through. Especially some of the hilarious balance games - notably the penguin slide which is a personal favourite of mine too for its glorious silliness!
Hula hoop competitions are a level playing field for us with even the youngest being able to 'win' for a change. A feature not often mentioned and that I am very pleased with is 'free step' in the aerobic section. You can set your Mii up to step for a defined amount of time of your choice and the rhythym is marked by means of sound from the Wiimote. You can then switch to a DVD or a TV channel and continue your stepping exercise to the sound of the beat for as long as you like. It does raise your heart rate, get you warm and allow you a gentle exercise session in your living room. No, not quite a full on gym experience but terrific for those wanting some gentle regular and non boring exercise.
Wish Nintendo would sort their distribution problems out as this crazy shortage seems contrived and desperately unfair - those profiteering should be ashamed. If you can get one without paying over the odds though, I heartily recommend it! 5 stars from the whole family (aged from 41 down to 3)!

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh no!! The Wii Fit has arrived!, 2 Jun 2008
Nigel Hollingworth "Nigel Hollingworth" (North Lincs UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wii Fit (Wii) (Video Game)
So my new Wii Fit arrived and with the usual gusto I opened the package plugged it in and jumped on. The game told me to get off, it hadn't finished calibrating. Having done the usual of not bothering to read ANY instructions I started again this time following the intuitive program that led me through my body calibration.

Apparently I am obese, I find that strange though? Whenever I look in the mirror I am a toned Adonis?

The first game fired up, I had chosen Hula Hooping, I followed the program instructions (How hard can this be anyway) and started gyrating like a 70's disco diva. The first hoop thrown to me bounced off my head as I continued to gyrate like a man possessed. This is where the Wii's only problem is. You see it was at that time that the postman arrived, I have no idea what he thought but he rang the doorbell, I answered, he coughed and said "One to sign for" and legged it, laughing all the way.

Yoga is especially fun, although it does need to come with a warning, although they say to leave plenty of space around you for the exercises, they do not mention that should you lose your balance doing the "Hunter/Archer" stance, you have a high probability of falling over and careering across the living room as if you caught your leg in your trousers trying to put them on.

There are so many things you can do with this, the board is excellent to use and while you may get bored with exercising you will always have that elusive high score to beat that will keep you motivated like any good game. Jogging on the spot never struck me as a particularly difficult exercise however trying it at home has proved a very worthwhile activity that takes quite a bit of effort and one of these days I WILL catch that Mii! There are lots of different activities to go at, I have to say I have left the muscle work out alone for while until I can face doing press ups in front of the post man. The whole point of this seems to be to enjoy what you are doing and I can honestly say that I do, this coming from a man who whenever he thought about exercise, used to lay out on the sofa until the thought had passed.

Having never been to the Gym (I really hate the thought of that) I am now doing a little exercise, I quite enjoy it, I am not saying this is a serious workout to a marathon runner but to lardy old me, its a start and that cannot be a bad thing.

So its been nearly a year since I bought this, (Ok, so its 8 months but it feels like a year) and I can hear the question being asked "is it nicely gathering dust under the sofa?" The answer is yes, sort of. You see I broke my leg, and there was a fire, not to mention the flood, my dog chewed it, well I think you can see what is happening here.

Every now and again I drag it out, plug it in and try to work out what input source the TV has for the Wii, I usually forget. When I finally get to the screen it says "It's been 89 days since I last saw you". Yes well, I bloody know that don't I. "You have gained 4 lbs since your last visit." Its normally at this point that I lift the other leg off the floor and it tells me to get off again as something is wrong. I have put on 20 lbs. Nothing quite prepares you for the crushing blow of learning such a fact however as I am on a diet of lager, curry, crips and chocolate it shouldn't really surprise me as much.

So, why haven't I lost weight and more importantly why have I not continued to use the pristinely conditioned Wii fit board? Well my homage to the Chocolate Hob Knob is testament to my inability to stop ramming the things into my face. The board is also conveniently placed to shove it with my foot so far under the sofa the only time I know it is there is when I roll off the sofa to go get another Hob Knob I see it lurking there. Its not Nintendo's fault, they had no idea they were trying to market it to me. The Japanese have no idea such apathy existed. I still think the product is great, but I'm not so great, in my pursuit of all things shiny, this was the shiniest. It lasted a month. I did my best. Cheers Nintendo!

5.0 out of 5 stars Two month review, 11 Sep 2008
Jonathan Oakey (Brussels Belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wii Fit (Wii) (Video Game)
I was lucky enough to find my Wii Fit in a supermarket nearly 2 months ago, and have been using it fairly religiously since I got it. I was reasonably fit in any case, as I play squash regularly, but had stopped going to the gym and had gradually put on some weight over the last two years. I needed to lose about 9kg.
I'm now on day 57 or so (including a holiday in the middle) and have been using the Wii to supplement my squash games with at least some extra cardio and exercises. I also have a cross-trainer, so I try to do a mix of all three activities, and I've been roughly following the Abs Diet for the last four or five weeks too.
So far, I have lost around 3kg and my condition has improved significantly. Two months ago I was struggling to get through my hour of squash, but now it's no problem again (and I'm approaching my 40th birthday). The Wii has certainly been a significant element in this, and it is fun too.
The different activities have been pretty fully covered by the product description and other reviewers, so I won't go into details. I'm happy to say that I have achieved the maximum levels in two of the three Challenges, although the press-up challenge is a long way from completion!
The Balance Board is very sensitive, and also very accurate, and works fine on the rug in my living room. My only problem with the board is that it's not really big enough for a couple of the exercises, particularly Step and Press-ups (my hands are too close together). However, it would be more awkward if it were bigger, so I suppose it is a reasonable compromise, and perhaps for Step one could place it on something else to get extra height.
My other minor gripe is that you can't add FitCash activities for a date other than the current day, which means that I can't tell it that I played squash yesterday. Again, not a big deal but a surprising omission.
Regarding BMI, I can only say that it is a blunt instrument, and everybody has to be aware of what their BMI should be based on their musculature. For me, it's probably around 24-25. For a rugby player, it might be 30; if you don't do any exercise and have very little muscle mass, it might be 20. Your best guides for this are your mirror and your trousers. Wii Fit is then a great tool you can use to track your progress.
Lastly, it is true that the Wii Fit does not replace going to the gym for serious weight training. It's not really designed for gaining muscle mass, and few of the exercises will help much for this. However, it's way, way better than sitting on the sofa and watching TV!

3.0 out of 5 stars Reviewed after owning for 6 months, 7 Feb 2009
Kate Walker "Gorgeous Kate" (Oblivion) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Wii Fit (Wii) (Video Game)

The first few honeymoon weeks are great. Particularly if you have a step counter and trying to do the old "10,000 steps a day" thing. I enjoy the step aerobics and get plenty of flatulence in the yoga poses. The balance games feel like there not doing much use until you start improving and realise that your posture is also subconciously improving. The balance board is not too large and if you chuck away your bathroom scales then hey presto, you have a space to put your wii fit board. You can chose between a nice deep husky male trainer or a softly spoken lady and both have nice ENGLISH accents. The boxing is very satisfying and my arms really ache the next day so it must be helping my baggy bits.

Unfortunately the honeymoon period is now over and we are starting to go our separate ways. My love affair with my wii fit has gone sour and I'm starting to nitpick and point out to it all the things that get on my nerves which are:

- There is no warm up exercise routine, it's just suggested that you "warm up before doing aerobic activity" so if you're a little rusty you get tempted to just do a few stretches and hope it's enough ... until the morning when you ache!
- When doing the step classes there is only one tune to dance to so you quickly get tired of the music
- When finishing an activity you have to pfaff around with the controller to move onto your next activity, there's no flow.
- Sometimes it misses my steps in the step class - it tells me I missed and I end up stamping on it which probably makes matters worse.
- I think I've now unlocked all the activities (including a seamingly pointless meditation exercise) yet, as with all affairs, I want MORE!

So in summary, I did actually lose a little weight, (I recommend the "free step" where you can watch telly while a counter bips on the controller). But, as with most diet plans, if you don't stick to it regularly (bored with it now) then hello belly, it comes right back!

However, it's not a complete waste as there are now more games using the balance board so I'm giving it a sort of comme ci comme ca sort of score. Hope this helps!

5.0 out of 5 stars Addicted already...., 25 April 2008
This review is from: Wii Fit (Wii) (Video Game)
Wow. My Wii fit arrived about two hours ago, and I have just stepped off.
This is fantastic, and really encourages you to get fit. The games are designed so cleverly that you want to stay on the board until you improve your score. It makes you want to try and try again. My partner is as hooked as I am which is great, as we can now get fit together, which is what I wanted. The only downside to the game that I can see, is that it doesn't give you warm up exercises to do, which means you have to know how to warm up. Still gets five stars and a thumbs up from me though....

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, great design and fantastic implementation., 30 Oct 2008
A. Davis (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Wii Fit (Wii) (Video Game)
I finally gave up looking for a Wii Fit on the High Street and managed to find a reasonable package on the internet, and boy am I pleased I did.

It was a breeze to configure and get using, and then the fun really started. After taking a short body test to get your BMI (body Mass Index) and weight you are into the fitness side of it.
The activities are broken down into Yoga, Muscle, Aerobic and Balance categories with some really well thought out ideas.
I have only been doing it a few weeks, but find the Yoga far more enjoyable that I ever thought I would and find the step classes stranegly compelling!
The balance games/activities are great fun and I really enjoy the Ski Slalom and Ski Jump.

I can really see me carrying on with this, and whilst I am not deceiving myself that this is a replacemnt for the excercise I need, it is better than nothing and it does get the blood pumping and muslces aching!

So if you enjoy the Wii and want something fun that is a bit different then get one. Its been fun trying to beat the family at the different activities.

4.0 out of 5 stars I applaud the idea, 2 May 2008
Marko (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Wii Fit (Wii) (Video Game)
I've given Wii Fit 4 stars as I really do appluad the idea of getting whole households active but for me, unfortunately, my enthusiasm faded quickly. My girlfriend on the other hand loves it and it was bought mainly for her as she's the one doing a fitness regime.

My first gripe with the game is the amount of time training compared with the amount of time you're actually playing the game. My Wii menu told me the game had been running for 1h 34mins, yet my training timer within the game said i'd been exercising for roughly 46 mins of that 1h 34mins, resulting in what I thought felt like a very drawn out exercise program (where as 15 mins on an exercise bike is 15 mins). This is all due to lots of confirmation screens and animations meaning you have to press 'A' many times before the exercises begin, all taking time.

My other problem is the accuracy. After 20 mins of very gentle, introductory training it said i'd lost about 2lbs, yet, despite becoming more accustome to the exercises and the sensitivity of the balance board, my Wii Fit age had gone from 23 to 38.

One last annoyance for me (that will go away after time) is that after telling me that i'm a healthy weight and have a (initial) Wii Fit age that's lower than my actual age, i'm only allowed to do 5 min work outs. The longer ones are unlocked as rewards after doing the exercise a number of times or exercising for long periods. Whilst I understand this is incredibly beneficial for people starting out and helps break people in gently it would have been nice to try and tailor regimes for people.

On the plus side, there are games that genuinely left me slightly out of breath or in a sweat and that's all beneficial in the long term. One really good thing for me has been the boards ability to monitor posture and the way in which you hold yourself. Within 30 seconds the game was able to indentify the cause of my bad back that has taken an Osteopath about 6 months to do. The game even gave me hints to rectify the problem that have all helped so far. As people have said before, the board is a good, sturdy bit of kit that i think is well worth the price considering the work that went in to it. The potential for use with other games in the future is also quite appealing. The inclusion of games as well as serious exercises is a great little incentive. You often forget you're getting a little workout because you're having fun, and, whilst perhaps not as taxing as a proper workout, are great for when, for example, you've had a bad day and can't face a hard slog on the exercise bike but at the same time don't want to let your workouts disappear.

My girlfriend has used it every day and loves monitoring her progress and it has definitely got her up of the sofa more frequently. It has quickly become part of a routine for her and has spurred her on to do more. In that sense it's a 5 star success, it just loses a star for my exeprience with it. Anything that gets people even slightly active that can be used by the whole family is a huge success in my opinion.

Wii Fit (Wii)
Wii Fit (Wii) by Nintendo (Nintendo Wii)