on 27 July 2010
This box set of BBC dramas has Pride and Predudice, Sense and Sensibility, Mansfield Park, Emma, Northanger Abbey and Persuasion. All are great dramas to the high BBC standard. There is one area to be aware and that is that each drama was presented as a series. Hence, Disc 1 may hold 3 episodes and each episode ends with the theme ending. The next episode starts with the same theme introduction which gave me the impression that the disc had gone to the start and was about to show me the same episode again. It took a little while to work out that it was my understanding at fault and to watch episode 2 I had to just let it continue to play.
In addition, I did have one faulty disc but a quick contact to the Amazon help desk had the box set in its entirety changed within a few days. I thought that was extremely good customer service. This box set is very good value and comes out when we want some 'culture' or just a good play to watch.
on 8 January 2010
The chief episode in this collection is Pride and Prejudice which provides excellent viewing - top marks for costume, casting and mood. However, some of the rest of the cd collection, especially Northanger Abbey come across as a bit dated, especially colour wise with actors giving a 'wooden' performance and obviously not such lavish productions - overall pleasing viewing for Austen fans.
on 25 June 2012
I liked this product, but I was expecting a different version of some of the novels, BBC has more than one series for example on Ema, and I was very difficult to get info on which one this box set had, unfortunately, it wasn't the one I wanted to offer.
So please if you saw something in BBC channel and are thinking on buying this dvd box set, please make sure these are the versions you are expecting.
I was really disappointed not to get the right Ema version, but I guess I should have written instead of buying at once.
Best regards
on 17 August 2015
I I consider these dvds collection wonderful.
the best one is really pride & prejudice, this is terrific, , wonderfully acted and is one that reflects most of the book.
The DVD of Emma , Mansfield Park ,persausion, are marvelous , so as well as sense & sensibility, but this latter is perhaps a little less faithful to the book.
the only real problem I found in DVD Persuasion because the actors' voices are low, at least for me that I'm a bit deaf I can hardly follow them
on 26 June 2009
i love jane austen -who doesn't?- so i watched this movies as soon as they arrived, and even if the films are not all the same level i'm really happy: pride and prejudice is absolutety brilliant and the best of them all. my family -even my little 6 years old girl love watch these with me- enjoyed all the movies, even if the olders have a really different testure for the low quality of the sound and picture.
on 28 January 2011
Really good to have all these BBC classics in one package. All good drama, particularly Pride and Prejudice!
on 4 February 2011
Perhaps I'm just getting fed up to my neck in Jane Austen. Some of her work is less than great or maybe the book is better than the movie. Loved PRIDE AND PREDJUDICE, great sets and directon plus Mr. Firth. PERSUASION was presented quite well and we enjoyed it. The gothic NORTHANGER ABBEY was beyond the pale. I have seen a better presentation of SENSE AND SENSIBILITY. MANSFIELD PARK was spooky. Anna Massey looked like she was in a silent screen production with the facial expressions and wide eyes. I forget who played the mother of the brood, but she appeared to be an opium user. I have always thought that EMMA was too silly for words and should be burned. If you are a Jane Austen fan do some research and buy single dvds. These productions,with the exception of PRIDE AND PREDJUDICE, for the most part, are not the best. This, of course, is just one opinion. There are some people who love Jane Austen however it is done. Shame on you BBC.
on 14 November 2013
This is a very good and excellent collection of Jane Austen's stories which well written by the appropriate screen writers especially Pride and Prejudice by Andrew Davies. The only comment I would make in this respect is if only the original cast were used i.e. Elizabeth Garvie and David Rintoul - in my mind these actors are the epitome of Elizabeth Bennett and Mr Darcy.
on 20 September 2014
The older productions are a bit ropey - compared to the world-beating Pride & Prejudice
on 4 May 2010
There is some variation concerning how interesting the stories (and their characters) are, so maybe you would like to buy them separately, even though this collection comes in a nice and practical case. Both the audio and subtitles in this case were in English only, despite the info., which also says Spanish.