5.0 out of 5 stars I Agree: My kids loved it - and that's what matters
Published on 21 Nov. 2008 by Carmody

3.0 out of 5 stars More for Kids Then Adults
Our story takes place in Fairytale Land, a kingdom populated by every fairytale character you've ever met. The balance between good and evil is maintained by a wizard (George Carlin) who makes sure that every story follows the book.

Published on 4 May 2007 by Mark Baker - Carstairs Considers

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I Agree: My kids loved it - and that's what matters, 21 Nov. 2008
Carmody (South West, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Happily N'Ever After [DVD] (DVD)
There are so many negative comments about this film both here and on the US Amazon site that I am compelled to counter. I agree that this film is not intellectually challenging, but that is also the case with many enjoyable films directed at children. That's not to say that it is grossly simplistic - it has some lovely embedded messages to get across and I think that it succeeds brilliantly on that account. My 4 year daughter after watching the film (for the 3rd time) turned to me and said: "Cinderella likes the washing-up boy and he isn't the prince, but he saved her and likes her back" - you don't get that from Shrek 3 (which she hated).

The tunes are sparse but the ones that stick in my mind are delightful and memorable - namely the ballroom music and the "If I get what I want will I like what I get" tune. My daughter sings along with the words to the latter and, again, isn't that a lovely message to get across? She has also spotted aspects of the film that I didn't notice: the fact that the bouncy hairdo of the Prince is mirrored by his horse's mane, the fact that the horse (mostly in the background) is visibly and humourously unimpressed with the words and behaviour of its owner, etc. I was greatly amused to see that the disco moves of one of the ogres is almost identical to the hilarious dance-floor antics of one David Brent ("The Office" - UK version).

In summary, stop over-analysing and enjoy/buy this film for what it is: a light, enjoyable, delightfully animated frolic aimed at children.

4.0 out of 5 stars My kids loved it - and that's what matters!, 17 Jun. 2008
O E J - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Happily N'Ever After [DVD] (DVD)
I haven't seen this film in its entirety but then it was always for my primary-school-age daughters anyway, so I think any review of this should be based on what THEY think of it, not what I think. And they definitely like it a lot! As a parent who needs to entertain the children and keep them happy, this DVD fills that need for an hour or two - or rather longer as it has turned out, because they want to watch it again and again. They have most of the 'usual suspects' in their cupboard, such as all three Shreks, Incredibles, Ice Age, Finding Nemo and many more, but they always crave something new and it was nice to hear them laughing to this latest one from beginning to end, and even better when my 5-year-old came up to me afterwards to explain what it was all about. It might be more suitable for girls than boys, but as a present for children of this age I really think you won't go far wrong. It's not the best of its kind (Shrek, Toy Story, Ice Age, Monsters Inc and Ratatouille are better at being great for all the family) but let's remember that children are far less critical than we are, and this film needs to be judged from a young person's perspective! I would recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars More for Kids Then Adults, 4 May 2007
Mark Baker - Carstairs Considers (Santa Clarita, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

The time has come for Cinderella (Sarah Michelle Gellar) to have her fairytale ending. The Prince (named Humperdink. A nod to Princess Bride? Either way, he's voiced by Patrick Warburton) is hosting a ball on his twenty-first birthday. Cinderella is set to go and fall in love, just as the story dictates.

This doesn't sit well with Rick (Freddie Prinze, Jr.). He's a servant in the castle and has fallen for the beautiful Cinderella. Fighting a bad case of prince envy, he wonders why he never gets a happy ending.

While all this is happening, the wizard decides to go on vacation and he turns things over to his two assistants, Munk and Mambo (Wallace Shawn and Andy Dick). Mambo wants to add a bit of variety to the stories while the wizard is away, and the two start fighting.

Overhearing their fight is Frieda (Sigourney Weaver). She's Cinderella's evil step mother. She seizes the golden opportunity to take over the kingdom and tip the scales toward evil. Now it's up to Cinderella and a very reluctant Rick to return happy endings to Fairytale Land.

I'm always up for a good fractured fairytale, a genre that has become popular since the success of Shrek. I was looking forward to this one, but it failed to live up to expectations.

The biggest problem with the movie is the lack of development. Everything felt rushed, like it knew what it had to do and wanted to get it over with as quickly as possible. The characters were also shallow, and I never felt like I got to know them, which made it hard to root for them.

There were a few funny lines in the movie, but most of it was played surprisingly straight. The Prince was the one exception, with a great running joke about consulting his book before everything.

This isn't the detailed animation we are used to. It's stylized with lots of weird angels. It works, but considering what most studios are putting out, it is a bit surprising.

The voice cast does great, with one exception. There was something about Sigourney Weaver's voice that bothered me. It almost felt like she reading the script with. She showed hardly any personality.

Unlike many films that adults and kids can enjoy together, this one is strictly for the kids.

4.0 out of 5 stars Happily N'Ever After, 19 May 2011
S. Wilson (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Happily N'Ever After [DVD] (DVD)
Not as good as the second one but still a good family film.

Since watching the second one Happily N'Ever After 2 I have to say that this one in hindsight isn't as good however we still really enjoyed it. I can see that it has had quite a few negative reviews and everyone is entitled to their own view on it but for us we still really enjoyed the film. This one is based on the whole Cinderella and wicked step mother tale and didn't have as many funny moments in it as the second one but I would definitely say it is worth a watch especially for younger girls.

3.0 out of 5 stars My kids enjoyed it but haven't asked to watch it again., 12 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Happily N'Ever After [DVD] (DVD)
The plot wasn't great. The animation wasn't great. But the kids enjoyed it while they watched it. However they weren't interested in watching it again.

1.0 out of 5 stars DVD, 30 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Happily N'Ever After [DVD] (DVD)
We are sorry to say, but we found this film just utter rubbish, we did not see any logic to it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good film for kids, 10 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Happily N'Ever After [DVD] (DVD)
This film is fairly un-original, it falls in the same genre as 'Shrek' and 'Hoodwinked', except this film does not have the same quality animation, story, or celebrity voices and over-all appears rather amateurish. Saying that my two small children enjoyed it and myself and their Dad did too.

I would recommend watching it, just don't expect to be blown away or even remember having watched the movie the next day.

5.0 out of 5 stars a blast, 23 Aug. 2008
Ms. L. King (Doncaster, South Yorks) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Happily N'Ever After [DVD] (DVD)
If you love Shrek/Hoodwinked etc then this is def a film to get, my daughters (11 & 4) and myself watched it on sky movies, i had never heard/seen it before but came straight on her to see if it was for sale as we have not had so much fun in ages, if your not interested in serious stories or original plot then this is the movie for you and your kids .... highly recommended ....

5.0 out of 5 stars A far better film than some reviews would have you to believe, 29 Aug. 2011
Wonkey Donkey (Warwickshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Happily N'Ever After [DVD] (DVD)
I have to say I was a bit apprehensive after reading some highly negative reviews - to say it is the worst animated film ever is absurd! Our five year old daughter loves it and wants to watch it over and over again. For a kids film that ticks all the boxes in my book. A good film and a bargain at the current price

3.0 out of 5 stars Shrek it aint., 10 Oct. 2011
Puzzle crazy (Walsall, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Happily N'Ever After [DVD] (DVD)
This film must have passed me by when it came out at the cinema, because I had never really heard of it before.unlike the big animated features such as Ice Age and Shrek, this one kind of appeared unnoticed, without fanfare. I suppose the trouble is, that unlike times past, when an animated film took ages to produce because it was hand drawn, these days CGI kids films are being churned out by the bucketload, cheaply and efficiently. A bit soul destroying, really.

Happily N'ever after is a bog standard kids film. It is in the "new fairy tale" style of films like Shrek, where the original fairy tale gets a makeover and gets turned on its head, with a few added jokes for the moms and dads thrown in.

Given this tried and tested formula (!) and the fact that the film does have a few star names on the cast list, including Sarah Michelle Gellar, I am surprised that this film didn't get much press when it came out.

The movie is the story of Cinderella, reworked. All of the fairy tales are controlled by a wizard, who has the scales of good and evilin perfect balance at the top of his castle. He goes on holiday, leaving his two incompetent assistants in charge. Cinderellas' evil stepmother infiltrates the castle, tipping the scales to evil and changing the outcome of the fairy tales: Sleeping beauty never wakes up, Rumplestiltskin gets the baby, Red riding hood is eaten by the wolf, and Cinderella never marries the prince. It is up to humble kitchen sevant Rick, who is in love with Cinderella, to save the day, but can he win the girl when she is destined to marry the prince....?

The animation is OK and the songs instantly forgettable.I guess it has all been done before. My son laughed all the way through and really enjoyed it, but I can't see this film being at the top of any "best animated films of all time" lists.

The film is available pretty cheap from Amazon, and with the school holidays on the way, is an OK way to spend and afternoon entertaining the kids.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Happily N'Ever After [DVD]
Happily N'Ever After [DVD] by Paul J. Bolger (DVD - 2007)