5.0 out of 5 stars quality and ease of use
This is a superb personal radio with easy to use controls, easy to set up and an ideal size. Earphones are comfortable and don't fall out at the least shake of the head! What really surprised me was the quality of sound from such a small unit. All in all, a good buy that I would recommend to anyone. Shame about the delivery of the third party supplier.
Published on 12 Dec 2007 by M. J. Moss

2.0 out of 5 stars roberts personal radio
Published on 4 Sep 2009 by Mr. W. A. Hickman

5.0 out of 5 stars quality and ease of use, 12 Dec 2007
M. J. Moss (Portsmouth U.K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roberts Sports 995 2-Band PLL Synthesised Personal Stereo Radio (Electronics)

5.0 out of 5 stars best yet, 6 Jan 2009
R. Lewin (UK) - See all my reviews
I listen to the radio most of the time and have owned at least 20 different 'walkman' style radios. This is the best yet.

It has the essential mono switch for poor reception areas, a lock so you can be active without having to retune repeatedly, runs for ever on a single aaa, weighs nothing and can sit in a top shirt pocket without you noticing it's there. This may be unique to me but I like going to sleep listening to the radio, my wife doesn't, the 90 min snooze function saves batteries and the controlls are so well laid out I can operate it entirely in the dark. It is solidly built and has survived the abuse these radios get from me better than any other.

There is only one competitor that I know of (and sadly I do spend time looking) the Sony SRF-S84. This is about the same price but has wheel tuning not digital, no presets and is more flimsy, albeit even smaller.

First time I've been moved to write a review - I only came here to buy another one (I've lost the battery cover on mine, it still holds the battery snd works fine but I'm afraid they'll have stopped making them by the time I finally kill the current one.

2.0 out of 5 stars roberts personal radio, 4 Sep 2009
Mr. W. A. Hickman (London, England) - See all my reviews
The radio was delivered in about four days, well packed and undamaged. I found it easy to set up. It is light in weight and quite stylish and the earphones are very comfortable. However when I switched it on I found the reception very poor and the sound muddy even on mono FM in South London. Any movement generated noise which completely drowned out the station. I then removed the earphones supplied and replaced them with the ones from my old personal radio. These greatly improved the reception, though it is still a bit fragile and susceptible to movement, which is odd as presumably a 'sports radio' is primarily aimed at people on the move. It is difficult to see why such poor quality earphones should be provided as they are not an expensive item and the radio can only ever be as good as they are. This weakness may account for the very variable reviews of this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Roberts 995 Radio, 17 Jun 2009
R. Dampier (Gosport) - See all my reviews
Superb little radio, read the manual to get the most out of it and you can't go wrong. The bass boost is not to clever with the earphones supplied but with a decent set of headphones it really does make a difference. By holding the on button down the radio will stay on all day long. Battery life is really good using the radio for work every day it lasted nearly two months. Sound quality is far better than the Sony or Fergusson radios I have used in the past.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the ticket, 13 Oct 2008
This is my second radio, and there is no comparison with the one that is built into my MP3 player. I'm a great fan of radio, and this is just the ticket for my long commute to work. Its use is simple and self-explanatory, so it won't matter if you loose the instructions. You can pre-set it to 10 stations on FM and 5 stations on AM and it's got an amazing sound quality. The pre-sets work a treat and are simple to change at any time. It's relatively heavy which surprised me. It uses a single ordinary triple A battery which means no charging up over night. All plain straightforward high quality. I ordered on a Thursday evening and it arrived on Saturday morning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small really is beautiful, 11 Jan 2009
After considerable research,this was the only pocket radio I could find with presets and a channel lock switch-both to my mind indispensable when on the move.So it was a case of Hobson's choice.I needn't have worried.This is by far the best pocket radio I have ever owned.Arthritic fingers may find the preset buttons difficult to use,but once the channels are set there should be no further problems.Battery life is truly exceptional - and the earphone socket takes the jack of my Sony mini-speakers,so I can also use it as a "stationary" radio if I so wish.At least in this area (WF12)reception is remarkable both in strength and clarity.A hands-down winner as my purchase of the year!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little AM/FM radio, 26 Aug 2008
John McGinty (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I will keep this very brief: model is a lot smaller than it looks, it has great reception on AM and FM and although the PnP is rather large it arrived quickly. It was the only radio I could find that had AM/FM with presents (I switch between radio 5 and radio 4 on my train journey).

Very pleased and any one wanting to listen to Radio 5 /Test match this is a great little radio.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice little radio., 18 Oct 2007
Dr. Timothy J. Stevenson "Tim" (Bracknell UK) - See all my reviews
I am puzzled: unit is stated to be R9995, but picture and details are identical to that for R995, (also on Amazon)?

See my review for the R995, written after having had the radio for much longer, similar and a little more critical.
____________

Original review of "R9995":-

What the details don't seem to tell you that this is about 50 x 90 x 16 mm and weighs about 62 grams. (Laugh at the 5KG boxed product weight in Amazon's details!) Good sound. Very easy to use, even in the dark (except perhaps for tuning). Having presets is wonderful. Simple and logical display, although I would have liked a signal-strength indicator.

The phone cable acts as aerial. We are in an area of moderate reception, and occasionally there is a need to position the receiver in a good place relative to your head to avoid hiss or break-up.

Maybe I am only telling you something about the shape of my ears, but these are the first in-ear phones I have ever had that are comfortable (was expecting to use my larger headphones, but don't have to). Perhaps oddly for a "Sports" radio, phones have a 40 mm rod to point downwards keep them located in the ear rather than a curled piece to wrap around the earlobe - fine for me but I wonder if they would fall out in joggy activities!

Strange feature: by default, unit switches down automatially after 90 mins. This can be disabled, but only by holding the power button for five seconds EVERY TIME you turn it on (although it remembers just about every other setting). Now how often are you likely to leave on a radio that only works through phones?

There is a sort of tone control called "Deep Bass Boost". Maybe my ears are wearing out or I listen to the worng kind of music, but I can barely detect its effect!

I actually followed the link on Amazon and bought this from HomeVision - a tad cheaper and much lower postage. A delay due to supply problems was partially compensated for by good customer service keeping me informed of progress.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor reception, 16 Jun 2011
I've had a previous generation Roberts personal radio (model R972) for many years and was expecting the R995(5) to be a similar high quality product. I was sorely disappointed. Its tacky build and finish were matched by very poor signal reception. When compared side by side, using the same headphones (which are what the radio uses for its aerial), in the same location, there was a huge difference. My 10 year old R972 delivered a clean, almost hiss free signal, whereas the brand new R995 sounded hissy and interference ridden, almost as if the local radio transmitter had been turned off for maintenance. No contest. I've returned the R995 back and am now looking for a second hand R972.

On the plus side, the controls are well laid out and easy to use, however if a radio cannot deliver a clean interference free signal, then it really doesn't matter how easy or not it is to use.

Its a shame to see a manufacturer with such a good name as Roberts, producing such second rate designs.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite things, 16 Oct 2009
Mrs. Katharine Kirby "Kate" (HELSTON, Cornwall United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I bought this for working in the garden as I don't like to disturb others outside and find it easier to weed away when I am enthralled in a broadcast drama or other Radio 4 treat. I find myself using it more and more around the house as it is so comfortable to use. With the set in a pocket the earphone cable is long enough although I do occasionally yank it out of my ears when I catch the wire in a door handle or the like. So tuck it away! The most astonishing thing is how long the little AAA batteries last, I am still on the very first one I bought. A simple piece of equipment that really makes a difference to my enjoyment of the day - I am so pleased I discovered it. I am not of the ipod generation so I expect there are many more modern ways of listening to the radio but this suits me perfectly.