5.0 out of 5 stars Carrie conquers contemporary country
Published on 9 Nov 2007 by Amanda Richards

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm...
I love Carrie Underwood, and I love country-pop music [a la Martina McBride, Faith Hill, Shania et al] but I am unconvinced about this album.

It is different to "Some Hearts" which despite being her off the back of AI album was a good, solid debut album especially as the winners or reality shows churn out their first album in record time, and is usually full of...
Published on 3 Nov 2007 by Kay

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Carrie conquers contemporary country, 9 Nov 2007
Amanda Richards "Hotpurplekoolaid" (ECD, Guyana) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Carnival Ride (Audio CD)
The second album from Carrie Underwood packs slightly less punch than her debut, but is still more than enough to further cement her place in the contemporary country hierarchy. Solidly country, this album showcases Underwood as a singer/songwriter with writing credits on four of the tracks - first single "So Small"; the excellent "All American Girl"; "Crazy Dreams" and the comedy track "Last Name". (If you liked Alan Jackson's "I Don't Even Know Your Name", you'll see lots of similarities to the aforementioned "Last Name".)

All the tracks are worth a listen, but some are immediately worth an instant replay. My recommendations are:

Flat on the Floor - a hard-rocking track with attitude
All-American Girl - instant single material with heartwarming lyrics
So Small - soaring first single about not sweating the small stuff
Just a Dream - a tear jerker with a wonderful chorus
Crazy Dreams - catchy beat just slightly reminiscent of Pink Floyd's "Education"
I Told You So - slow ballad written by Randy Travis
Wheel of the World - an easy listening track with inspired backing music

If the four tracks on which she has songwriting credits are any indication, Carrie Underwood has nowhere to go but up - should be a wild ride. (4.5 stars)

Amanda Richards

5.0 out of 5 stars Just wow, 15 May 2008
Tea Tango (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Carnival Ride (Audio CD)
i didnt watch the american idol thing, and didnt know she won it.
When i heard this album i have to admit i was hooked! its really good. Very mature voice, yet youthful. And the songs are just pure pop , but have some meaning and her voice for crying out loud is great! shania twain should work with her. "i know you wont" is my favourite, its amazing, something so warm and you can feel the pain in her voice giving it that extra bit of "ive worked hard on this album unlike most artists"
and the best bit is that there isnt any of those filler tracks that seems to be so popular in R&B and pop these days. Even 50 Cent does it!
Overall im sure most people will love this album, its still country but very much pop with varing moods (depending on the song)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Follow Up Album, 3 Nov 2007
This review is from: Carnival Ride (Audio CD)
I loved Carrie Underwood's first album and was praying that this wouldn't be a disappointment - it's not. In fact, this album is even better!

Every song shows off her fantastic voice and you'll find yourself singing along to a lot of them on your first listen they're so catchy!

There's a bit of everything - some very sad songs that will make you want to cry, some amusing ones (in the same sort of way as 'Before He Cheats') and few that just make you feel good! There isn't one track on here that I skip, which is pretty good in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars carrie on improving........, 6 Sep 2009
This review is from: Carnival Ride (Audio CD)
I was given this album when it came out and I have to say I'm glad I asked for it. (I loved Carrie on AI but while Some Hearts showed off her fantastic voice the tracks did not grab me, I felt they viered more toward American Christian country audience rather than main stream contempory which is my preference).

This being the case I was slightly worried Carnival Ride would be more of the same, however was not disappointed while Carnival Ride has a few ballards (good tunes) there were plenty of uptempo tranks and this ment the album spent 9 months plus in my car. So I thinked it's safe to say I enjoyed this album and would recommend to anyone who likes Carrie or comtemporary country.

Have just heard Cowboy Casanova from Carrie's forthcoming album Play On (Amazon why no pre order yet?)and if the rest of the tracks match this roll on November 3!

Will now have go and listen to my CDs again as the new single reminded me how good Carrie is...... The 5* rating is because CR was so much better than the debut in my opinion)

5.0 out of 5 stars Carrie fabulous, 24 Aug 2008
Ms. Amanda Corbett (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Carnival Ride (Audio CD)
I stumbled across Carrie Underwood when I watched American Idol 2007 singing So Small. Since then I have been a listener. Her voice is amazing, makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up! The top song on Carnival Ride has to be Just a Dream. She sings the song with spot on emotion. There aren't many artists who can sing with such depth.
Buy this album and her debut (Some Hearts), you will not be disappointed!

Just a shame not touring the UK!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great album, but 4.5 stars really as I think she will get better!, 14 Feb 2008
D. H. L. Lee (Margate, Kent, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Carnival Ride (Audio CD)
I must admit that I was eager for a second album from Carrie Underwood and had heard that the album wasn't as good as Some Hearts and more of a grower. I agree that at first not all of the songs grabbed my attention, but a few listens in and I can't stop! At first I loved All American Girl for the cheesy cuteness and it's the second single taken from this album. I'm sure the video will be great! I have to say my favourite tracks are:

- Flat on The Floor (good pounding catchy country)
- So small (the lyrics capture you and the hook is strong after a couple of listens)
- Crazy dreams (another faster and upbeat country tune)
- I told you so (gorgeous slow ballad which will resonate with anyone who's been on either side of a relationship break)
- The More Boys I Meet (fab cheeky tune which always makes me smile)
- Last Name (possibly not believable of Carrie, but who knows and it's also a great one for singers!)

Crazy dreams and Flat on the floor are pure bottled sunshine and great driving songs! I am not so fond of Twisted and Wheel of the World, but they're ok and I'm sure will grow on me. An excellent album to follow up Some Hearts and a great addition to any new country lovers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great- Carrie is brill!!, 17 Dec 2007
Sam "kingathon" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Carnival Ride (Audio CD)
I know that Carrie Underwood does not have the best voice ever, I know that her lyrics and even melodies are not fantastic so why is it that I just love all her music so much??? I don't know,but it is catchy and powerful.

1.Flat On The Floor-An absolutely brilliant Carrie song, probably my favourite one she has ever released. 10/10
2.All American Girl-Cheesy, but fantastic. 9/10
3.So Small-Definitely not my favourite cant believe it was picked to be the first single, saying that it's not bad at all. 8/10
4.Just A Dream-Bit of a cheesy ballad, too sickening for me. 6/10
10.I Told You So-Powerful ballad. 8/10
11.More Boys I Meet-Extremely odd lyrics, good though! 9/10
12.Twisted-Blends into the background a bit. 7/10
13.Wheel Of The World-Ends the album nicely. 8/10

Separately some of the tracks aren't fantastic but as a collection its brill!!

5.0 out of 5 stars easy to listen to, 6 July 2009
D. Jones "cheekychimp" (Lancashire England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Carnival Ride (Audio CD)
Heard of Carrie when she won American Idol. Purchased her 1st album and was impressed- not the normal music we would listen to. This 2nd Album just as good. Bought it for my fiance and he has played it now about 20 times.
Makes a change to listen to good music - not like a lot of today's modern stuff

5.0 out of 5 stars Great music again!, 10 Dec 2010
A. Pernek (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Carnival Ride (Audio CD)
I was a bit sceptical about buying her second album as her first cd Some Hearts was so good. Second albums don't always live up to the first, but this has surprised me. The more I listen the more I like it. A good mix of slow and rock songs. I do prefer the version of I Told You So with Randy Travis that she sang on American Idol but her solo is still excellent. A very good second album from Carrie. Well worth the purchase if you're a fan!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 22 May 2010
avidgamer (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Carnival Ride (Audio CD)
I know "American Idol - Yawn", but hey! This lady can sing. A bigger voice than even Shania? Probably. More country than pop and a good album, which is my first country album. I wasnt too sure but after hearing "All American Girl", "so small" and "I told you so", I was sold. Well worth all the gongs and awards she has won. She has totaly rid herself of the AI tag and is a true performer in her own right. Try it, its worth it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Carnival Ride
Carnival Ride by Carrie Underwood (Audio CD - 2008)