5.0 out of 5 stars Carrie conquers contemporary country
Published on 9 Nov 2007 by Amanda Richards

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't Live Up to Expectations
Don't get me wrong - I love this album, and with the exception of one or two, I love every song on the album. However, when compared to Carrie's debut - Some Hearts - this album just doesn't reach the standards that she set for herself. If looking for a Carrie Underwood album, definitely try her debut first.
Published on 29 Jun 2010 by Amelie89

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Carrie conquers contemporary country, 9 Nov 2007
Amanda Richards "Hotpurplekoolaid" (ECD, Guyana) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Carnival Ride (Audio CD)
The second album from Carrie Underwood packs slightly less punch than her debut, but is still more than enough to further cement her place in the contemporary country hierarchy. Solidly country, this album showcases Underwood as a singer/songwriter with writing credits on four of the tracks - first single "So Small"; the excellent "All American Girl"; "Crazy Dreams" and the comedy track "Last Name". (If you liked Alan Jackson's "I Don't Even Know Your Name", you'll see lots of similarities to the aforementioned "Last Name".)

All the tracks are worth a listen, but some are immediately worth an instant replay. My recommendations are:

Flat on the Floor - a hard-rocking track with attitude
All-American Girl - instant single material with heartwarming lyrics
So Small - soaring first single about not sweating the small stuff
Just a Dream - a tear jerker with a wonderful chorus
Crazy Dreams - catchy beat just slightly reminiscent of Pink Floyd's "Education"
I Told You So - slow ballad written by Randy Travis
Wheel of the World - an easy listening track with inspired backing music

If the four tracks on which she has songwriting credits are any indication, Carrie Underwood has nowhere to go but up - should be a wild ride. (4.5 stars)

Amanda Richards

5.0 out of 5 stars Just wow, 15 May 2008
Tea Tango (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Carnival Ride (Audio CD)
i didnt watch the american idol thing, and didnt know she won it.
When i heard this album i have to admit i was hooked! its really good. Very mature voice, yet youthful. And the songs are just pure pop , but have some meaning and her voice for crying out loud is great! shania twain should work with her. "i know you wont" is my favourite, its amazing, something so warm and you can feel the pain in her voice giving it that extra bit of "ive worked hard on this album unlike most artists"
and the best bit is that there isnt any of those filler tracks that seems to be so popular in R&B and pop these days. Even 50 Cent does it!
Overall im sure most people will love this album, its still country but very much pop with varing moods (depending on the song)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Follow Up Album, 3 Nov 2007
This review is from: Carnival Ride (Audio CD)
I loved Carrie Underwood's first album and was praying that this wouldn't be a disappointment - it's not. In fact, this album is even better!

Every song shows off her fantastic voice and you'll find yourself singing along to a lot of them on your first listen they're so catchy!

There's a bit of everything - some very sad songs that will make you want to cry, some amusing ones (in the same sort of way as 'Before He Cheats') and few that just make you feel good! There isn't one track on here that I skip, which is pretty good in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great music again!, 10 Dec 2010
A. Pernek (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Carnival Ride (Audio CD)
I was a bit sceptical about buying her second album as her first cd Some Hearts was so good. Second albums don't always live up to the first, but this has surprised me. The more I listen the more I like it. A good mix of slow and rock songs. I do prefer the version of I Told You So with Randy Travis that she sang on American Idol but her solo is still excellent. A very good second album from Carrie. Well worth the purchase if you're a fan!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 22 May 2010
avidgamer (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Carnival Ride (Audio CD)
I know "American Idol - Yawn", but hey! This lady can sing. A bigger voice than even Shania? Probably. More country than pop and a good album, which is my first country album. I wasnt too sure but after hearing "All American Girl", "so small" and "I told you so", I was sold. Well worth all the gongs and awards she has won. She has totaly rid herself of the AI tag and is a true performer in her own right. Try it, its worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars carrie on improving........, 6 Sep 2009
This review is from: Carnival Ride (Audio CD)
I was given this album when it came out and I have to say I'm glad I asked for it. (I loved Carrie on AI but while Some Hearts showed off her fantastic voice the tracks did not grab me, I felt they viered more toward American Christian country audience rather than main stream contempory which is my preference).

This being the case I was slightly worried Carnival Ride would be more of the same, however was not disappointed while Carnival Ride has a few ballards (good tunes) there were plenty of uptempo tranks and this ment the album spent 9 months plus in my car. So I thinked it's safe to say I enjoyed this album and would recommend to anyone who likes Carrie or comtemporary country.

Have just heard Cowboy Casanova from Carrie's forthcoming album Play On (Amazon why no pre order yet?)and if the rest of the tracks match this roll on November 3!

Will now have go and listen to my CDs again as the new single reminded me how good Carrie is...... The 5* rating is because CR was so much better than the debut in my opinion)

5.0 out of 5 stars easy to listen to, 6 July 2009
D. Jones "cheekychimp" (Lancashire England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Carnival Ride (Audio CD)
Heard of Carrie when she won American Idol. Purchased her 1st album and was impressed- not the normal music we would listen to. This 2nd Album just as good. Bought it for my fiance and he has played it now about 20 times.
Makes a change to listen to good music - not like a lot of today's modern stuff

5.0 out of 5 stars carnival ride cd,carrie underwood., 11 April 2009
Mrs. S. J. Thurland (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Carnival Ride (Audio CD)
if you like gemma ray,kate voegelle,you'll love this,new up and coming star very fast.great voice.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 24 Mar 2009
Ms. Mary Simpson (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Carnival Ride (Audio CD)
This cd was great one of my faves&I've now got it on my ipod never get fed up listening to it.anyone that likes country will love this album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Carrie Underwood, 22 Mar 2009
Chart Luvr (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Carnival Ride (Audio CD)
Our family loves modern country music, and Carrie Underwood has a great voice. Her songs are enjoyable and we can identify with them. We liked her album "Some Hearts" a little better, but this one is still worth purchasing. Great to listen to in the car.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Carnival Ride
Carnival Ride by Carrie Underwood (Audio CD - 2008)