Format: Audio CD|Change

on 28 February 2008
I love Glenn Gould and have been collecting and enjoying his recordings for many years. There are many great, great performances: the Beethoven "Pastorale" Piano Sonata; Bach Goldberg Variations; Brahms Piano Concerto No.1 with Leonard Bernstein; the Brahms Ballades etc. However this may be the finest of them all! Freed from the absolute glare of the solo spotlight and with a great and sensitive partner in Leonard Rose, Gould's intellect, humanity and pianistic genius find a perfect balance. This is a wonderful, life enhancing CD that you may want to listen to every day!
on 15 December 2011
You're going to be hard pressed to find a more thought-out, personal and joyful version of these sonatas. It's a celebration of music and a celebration of the genius of Bach and it feels like it has been offered to us by these two great musicians as a personal musical gift. You can feel with every note that these two people were going to do nothing but perform this work with the utmost care, love and attention. The result is an extremely charismatic and original performance that will probably never be matched. A superb recording that I can't recommend enough.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 18 November 2008
These recordings are the product of finest musical partnership. Gould and Leonard Rose are totally dedicated to the music itself, nothing else matters. That's the impression you get every time you listen to their performance. One of my favourite CDs in entire GG discography. Check also another fine Bach chamber music with another great musician, Jaime Laredo (Bach: Sonatas for Violin & Harpsichord, BWV 1014-1019; Sonatas for Viola da Gamba & Harpsichord, BWV 1027-1029).
I prefer to hear these sonatas on Viola da Gamba and Harpsichord but I was given these recordings as a present. I enjoy them for what they are. There is a transparent love of and joy in the music played together. It feels to me as if I am with Leonard Rose and his cello and Glenn Gould and his piano while they have a good time with J.S.Bach. There is expectation and happiness in their musicianship and the friendship that comes across. I hope you enjoy this too.
on 8 February 2013
I bought this by mistake believing it to be viola and harsichord. When it arrived I was dissapointed to find that infact, it was cello and piano. On playing however I found this superb marriage by two enormously talented individuals; I couldn't stop listening..... Sheer beauty..... I usually ignore suggestions from Amazon but......Thank you Amazon for suggesting it!
on 18 December 2013
The above is probably the original title - written for Viola da Gamba and, at a guess, harpsichord. Which I have on vinyl. So it was very interesting to hear this music played on Cello and Piano - and by the famous Glenn Gould. It certainly gives these 3 compositions a different airing ! My only criticism is that you need a magnifying glass to read the CD notes. I am serious ! Otherwise - Excellent - and a speedy delivery by you as well. Thanks.
on 17 February 2014
OK, it's not 'authentic' - but it is top quality Gould, sympathetically well balanced with Rose's cello. It's just one of those discs you put on and it sings to you immediately, along with the 48 and Goldberg. If you don't like Gould, don't buy it and don't review it!
on 22 March 2013
As with everything that Glenn Gould recorded this one is an absolute treat
Of course these works should be heard on period instruments
but
when you're dealing with a talent this large
don't look a gift-horse in the mouth
on 21 December 2010
Glenn Gould, Vol 53 - Bach - Viola da Gamba Sonatas
Yea Glenn! I just love to listen to Glenn Gould playing piano & organ. This is an especially beautiful combination of instruments. Anyone who likes Glenn Gould must have this cd in their collection.
on 18 August 2012
Here we have two superb musicians playing music that they clearly love. It's fine music, if perhaps Bach in workmanlike rather than inspired mode, but you can sense the pleasure that Gould and Rose found in playing it, and you can't help but be carried along with it. A wonderfully relaxing and enjoyable cd.