5.0 out of 5 stars Best Ear Defenders I've tried
I do a lot of noisy outdoor work - driving a tractor, operating a chainsaw etc - so I've always had a good pair of ear defenders so that I can listen to music and spoken-word podcasts through my earphones while working.

Published on 5 Jun. 2012 by hungerdunger

3.0 out of 5 stars good sound reduction
these ear defenders give a good sound reduction which is ideal for the environment which I work. Also comfortable and easy to wear for a sustained period.
Published 19 months ago by Keith Trevor

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Ear Defenders I've tried, 5 Jun. 2012
This review is from: 3M Peltor Optime III Ear Defenders (DIY & Tools)

I have to say that this model is even better than the previous brands I've tried. They are comfortable to wear for hours at a time and provide such good sound insulation that I can keep my music and podcasts at a reasonable level. Obviously they are more expensive than the bog-standard models you can get in your local DiY store, but for me they are well worth the extra.

On my previous pair of defenders the plastic pads round the earcups weren't replaceable so when they started breaking up I had to buy this pair, and I'm glad to see that there is a Hygiene Kit available for them which includes replacement pads.

5.0 out of 5 stars Silence is golden, 26 Feb. 2014
S Hyland - See all my reviews
Totally brilliant
Now when my neanderthal neighbour plays his drum and bass at his usual ear shattering volume
I can sit and read my kindle in total peace

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed!, 11 Sept. 2011
G. RINGHAM (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 3M Peltor Optime III Ear Defenders (DIY & Tools)
The Peltor Optime 111 turned out to be just what I was looking for. I read a lot at home, doze in the armchair, or sometimes simply want some peace and quiet and get easily distracted by irritating background noise such as the TV, Radio, or in some cases music being played a little too loud from neighbours. These ear defenders may not have been designed for such purposes but they do the job for me as stated; and very well indeed! Whilst I have to accept that in some cases background noise is not always completely eliminated it is reduced to the sort of muffle which I am easily able to tolerate. An excellent product at a very reasonable price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for hearing concious musicians too, 29 Aug. 2012
This review is from: 3M Peltor Optime III Ear Defenders (DIY & Tools)
I have found that many ear plugs do not offer complete protection whilst playing in a band situation. Drum cymbals and snares can still cause ear pain when using custom made ACS earplugs, elacin er20s and Alpine Musicsafe Pros. As a tinnitus sufferer I find these great as they enable me to practice without worrying about my ears and I can still hear the band fairly clearly. They look maybe too large for a live situation but wearing them during every practice can save you some damage in the long run. I would recommended Alpine Musicsafe Pro earplugs for live as they are very compact unless you can find better

5.0 out of 5 stars Right tool for the job, 2 July 2013
This review is from: 3M Peltor Optime III Ear Defenders (DIY & Tools)
[Bought direct from Amazon] - These will save your ears! While they do not cut out all sound (they will not make everything silent) they will cut down *loud* noises dramatically. At low noise levels they do not seem to do that much: a person talking merely sounds a bit muffled, you can hear everything they say. However, fire up a chainsaw and you'll notice the difference. In enclosed spaces these really come into their own: a power sander in a small room can be deafening, but these defenders are very effective at dealing with it. The louder the noise the better they are. They are also better with higher frequencies than lower.

The headband is adjustable: the wire can be pulled out a bit from their plastic mounts. It's a bit stiff, so I assume it will hold well over time. These defenders clamp onto my head pretty well (my head is larger than most though!)

So these are perfect for their job: you can hear people talk in quiet moments (and not take them off, so you are still defended against surprises), yet these defenders eat up the loud noises like there's no tomorrow.

I think these are good for those who use power tools, but they are probably less effective for those looking for silence. The human ear is too good at adjusting to usual sound levels, so you'll hear everything, and after a while even the muffled talking sounds less muffled. You get used to it. However, if you can live with that, then any loud noises will be dealt with effectively.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good ear protection, 14 May 2013
This review is from: 3M Peltor Optime III Ear Defenders (DIY & Tools)
This is the best pair of ear defenders I have come across. Much better than the black Bilsoms I used to use. I worked for 3 hours at close quarters with a bench saw recently and could barely hear it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Ear Defenders, 12 April 2013
This review is from: 3M Peltor Optime III Ear Defenders (DIY & Tools)
I have previously used Peltor Ear Defenders and always found them to be effective these are no exception, they are by some way the best I have used. I shoot regularly and these offer excellent noise reduction and the well padded ear cups are very comfortable, I have had no problem wearing them with my glasses. Simply excellent product.

5.0 out of 5 stars They're very comfy and easy to adjust, 15 Feb. 2015
This review is from: 3M Peltor Optime III Ear Defenders (DIY & Tools)
I bought these to block out music from extremely noisy neighbours. They work perfectly. You can still hear if someone talks to you nearby (i.e. in your room) or if your phone went off but they do block out ALL the background noise which is exactly what I wanted. Even if music is being played really loudly they block it all out. They're very comfy and easy to adjust. There isn't any discomfort from a feeling of pressure either. Sometimes it can be disconcerting at just how silent it is with them on. Top quality product for the very reasonable price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome for my use, 19 Dec. 2014
This review is from: 3M Peltor Optime III Ear Defenders (DIY & Tools)
My saviour. I put them on my regular headphones and no one know what I'm listening to, and the Tube doesn't mess with my audiobooks anymore. Great if your partner snores and you're trying to read. A bit of music from regular headphones, or earplugs (after all you're meant to hear regular voice frequencies in those, so don't expect zero noise if you are around people) and you can leave the boy snoozing noisily and catch up on sleep.
If there is building work/road work going on nearby while I am working, again they're great. If I need some quiet for meditation, they're awesome too. The only thing I wish is that I could wear them comfortably at night. The thickness is compensated by the distance shoulder-head when sleeping on your side, but the foamy bit is a bit too hard for this, so you can only do that for a couple of hours at best.
Still one of the best piece of kit that I'd have with me, even if I was a minimalist with only 100 things.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oasis of silence in a desert of noise, 9 Feb. 2013
This review is from: 3M Peltor Optime III Ear Defenders (DIY & Tools)
My office is noisy and it gets hard to concentrate and think. I bought this hoping I could have my little oasis of silence in a desert of noise. The ear defenders work like a charm and have helped me get on with work. Mission accomplished!

3M Peltor Optime III Ear Defenders