‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Reportage and Architecture Lens, 28 April 2010
Robert Groom (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Lens (Camera)
I bought this lens because I wanted something with the capability to shoot extremely wide. I mainly use mine for indoor group shots, room interiors and architecture. I also use it for landscape, but I tend to use it only tripod mounted and use exposure bracketing methods rather than graduated ND filters, as this lens is not a great candidate for front mounted filters. It is possible, but you either need to create your own DIY filter holder, or you need to buy a very expensive commercial solution. For this reason, you have to concede that this isn't Nikon's best lens for landscapes. Screw-on UV filters are a non-starter. If you're primarily a landscape shooter, I'd suggest looking at the old 17-35 f2.8 or the new 16-35 f4 instead.

Where this lens comes into its own is for capturing group shots indoors using available light or flash, close-up reportage shots (think paparazzi) or architectural shots where you're not looking to correct for perspective distortion in-camera (if you need that, investigate the 24mm PC-E).

The 14-24mm f2.8 is simply breathtakingly sharp across the frame, exhibits no vignetting, and minimal distortion. I absolutely love it's ability to squeeze every last object in the room into frame. Estate agents will adore it, as you can make a tiny room appear cavernous!

Of course, because you can't install a front filter for protection, and because the front element is so large and so exposed, you need to be very careful how you wield it, and if there's salty spray or beer being thrown around - you might want to think twice about using it in the first place.

Overall, this is just unbeatable when you need to go really wide and you still want to capture gorgeous, sharp, contrasty shots with a minimum of glare (the nano crystal coat takes care of that) and have the ability to open up to f2.8. As I said, not the perfect lens for landscape unless you use exposure bracketing, but for just about everything else it's unbeatable.

Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing else to say but PERFECT, 1 May 2013
This review is from: Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Lens (Camera)
Finally got it. Mounted on my D800. And WOW.
Wide Angle Orgasm at its best. Sharp as... Japanese Katana.

Only thing is....i have to get some filters witch are amazingly eXpensive, i do not care anyways.

World Class Lens. if you need reviews, google it, there are 5000 articles about this lens and 99% is 5/5 STAR, and 1% 4/5 STAR because it is hard to put a filter on it.

Love IT.

Thank you Amazon, Perfect service as usual.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sharp from corner to corner!, 12 Nov 2009
Paul W (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Lens (Camera)
Many lens - even the cheaper Nikon ones - are just as sharp as this in the centre when stopped down.

Where this amazes is in its ability to be sharp in even the furthest corner of the frame! Even the excellent Nikon 17-35 is a little soft in the extreme corners - most lens are.

It continues to amaze by being sharp corner to corner even wide open at f2.8! Most normal lenses would be struggling to maintain sharpness in the centre let alone the corners.

Optically this lens doesn't have any significant weaknesses. Downsides as others mention are lack of filters and its large size. Its also definately not a general purpose lens - this is for those wanting to utilise the ability of an ultra wide angle lens to create unique photos.

As a general purpose wide angle lens the 17-35mm f2.8 is better suited and just as sharp when stopped down - except at the very edges of the frame.

Its downsides are its weight, lack of filters and it occassional flaring.

5.0 out of 5 stars TRULY STUNNING, 25 Feb 2009
This review is from: Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Lens (Camera)
To say I am ultra-critical would be understate it massively. But this lens is a cracking bit of kit.
I bought mine, having read the reviews, to use on my D3 expecting it to be pretty good (I always treat reviews with a healthy dose of sceptisism), but nothing prepared me for what I was about to experience. As a medium and large format user as well, I am used to sharp lenses, and that is just what this is. Bightingly sharp. I can't overstate it - it is stunning. No it's not the same as using some of my LF lenses for obvious reasons, but for daily use where my LF system is too big or expensive to run, then this gives me VERY saleable shots for my agencies.
If it has a down side, it has to be the lack of a filter thread. Yes, I can use multiple exposures blended, or add 'effects' in post-production, but I do miss the polarizer when I am near water - particularly when I am near a cracking azure-blue sea in spring with the larks rising and singing their hearts out as the white surf breaks over the shore. But I am prepared to forgive it simply because of how good it is. BIG, expensive - but like my D3 and Land Rover, worth every penny

ADENDUM

Now use it on a D3x and I really don't know what to say. Perhaps if I do say that I am using my Large Format less, and am becoming more, far more productive then that should give you the right idea of what I think of this lens. AND Lee filters now produce a filtes holder system for it!! God is in his Heaven and all is well with the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful lens!, 5 Dec 2012
CSMedia (Gospel Oak, London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Lens (Camera)
We purchased this after comparison of several wides within the Nikon range and third parties via reviews from forums and youtube. It is built like the other lenses in the Nikon Trinity, 24 - 70mm and the 70 - 200 VR II. It was the quality of these two lenses that also helped us to make this choice. We also considered the 17 - 35mm lens from Nikon but similar to other older lenses the sharpness was not there. This lens is sealed, dust and waterproofed, it has an instant quality feel about it possibly due to the weight and the way the zoom and focus feels; smooth in the hand.

It is a beautiful chunky piece of glass that questions whether I should just sit here and stare at it or actually use it!

After being used to Carl Zeiss Medium format lenses at around 800gms this feels quite normal just short of 1Kg, useful if the biceps need firming up. It is an aesthetically beautiful lens that tends to reflect quality throughout, with crisp images and an amazing ability to keep horizontal lines to minimal distortion. It is claimed to be the best super wide available that other lens can be measured by and there is good reason for that.

Like the other professional lenses from Nikon it focuses as fast as the eye sees, well almost if you know what I mean!

Although the lens is bulbous it remains safely retracted between 18 - 24mm it is only after this that the glass is not protected by the side hood. As it is not intended to scrum down with rampant news photographers, it is of little concern. Ok, so it does not take front filters but most filter effects can be added in software or with HDR instead of a graded ND filter on the front. There is a filter set available from Rob Whites if that is wanted for around 360. If needed an ND gelatine filter can be cut out and placed over the rear element with tape, it was a technique we used in the studio with 5 x 4 lenses.

NB. The lens surface will need to be cleaned more often than a lens that is protected with a filter, it dawned on us when we came to clean it for the first time after a weeks use on location.

We were looking for a lens that gives an image an edge in the super-wide, something different that exaggerates perspective, without being a fish eye, it is intended to have fun with it. This meets expectation for what it is and we look forward to using it along with our other lenses. Highly recommended but any review search will no doubt read the same, all the best!

Update: Oct 2013 : Well we just love this lens, it is one of the ones I pick up most often at the moment along with the 85mm 1.4, a joy to use!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best wide angle lens ever produced, 11 Jan 2012
This review is from: Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Lens (Camera)
This lens is just excellent.
It has no competitors. It's just the best on the market.
Great build quality, excellent performance. Almost no distortions, performs well on every f-stop from 14 to 24mm.
The only complaint would be about filters, but it's possible to use special LEE adapter and filters, so for me it's just the only wide angle lens I would have ever considered. I use it for landscape photography as well as architecture.
Totally recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Lens, 7 April 2010
Z. Rathod (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Lens (Camera)
Extremely sharp.Carried this heavy piece of art on a hike and was worth all the weight.The result when i got back with the pics were astonishing even on a not so clear day, the skies & mountains were razor sharp for miles without the use of a tripod.

5.0 out of 5 stars World Class Optics – But make sure you get a good copy!, 26 Oct 2013
This review is from: Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Lens (Camera)
After reading many reviews and deliberating which wide-angle lens to buy I decided on the Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8. My first copy had a slight auto-focus problem where it would occasionally slightly miss the optimum focus point on my D800; it was 99% perfect but that 1% bothered me and so I asked Amazon for a replacement. Amazon’s response was top notch: I asked for a replacement on the Saturday evening and the replacement arrive on Monday morning. I’m glad that I ordered from Amazon’s own warehouse stock. The replacement was 100% perfect and the image quality is breath-taking, very sharp wide open at f/2.8. What really amazes me is how good this lens is at the widest end of 14mm and I can appreciate for myself why photographers sing and dance about this lens; it’s optics are in my view truly World Class and it’s made in Japan. It’s expensive, yes and you can't attach a protective filter to the front, that’s true, but the image quality is simply stunning, only make sure that you receive a good copy, if it isn’t get it replaced straight away. I’m now one very happy owner of this stellar lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last my wish has come true, 21 Aug 2013
D. BELLAMY (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Lens (Camera)
I have coveted this lens now for nearly 3 years. I own a full frame Nikon system and I have the other 2 lenses in the so caled "holy trinity". The amazing 70-200mm and the equally good 24-70mm which is pretty much glued to my D3. Those lenses are good, this one is amazing. I purchsed this second user from a store in London at only 900, apart from the plastic lens cover having some marks the lens is flawless and the images it takes are crystal clear, I don't think I have a lens that can compete and that inlcudes the 50mm F1.4 prime. I must confess this is a luxury item as my needs to take landscape shots are very limited but I'm going to spend some time playign with it and can't wait to see the results which I will post here at some point.
I'm not one for doing scientific reviews and I generally work on the quality of the image which after all is what we're here for!
Superb, take the plunge.

5.0 out of 5 stars mindblowing, 27 Sep 2008
Erik De Koster "erikdk" (belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Lens (Camera)
this is an absolutely incredible lens.
Its intended use is on a Full Frame camera like the D3 or the D700, but you can of course use it on any Nikon DX camera; it would however be a waste on a DX camera, because the 14-24F4 is smaller, lighter, and wider (on DX) than the 14-24. On an FX camera the 14-24 is of course wider than the 14-24 (equivalent 18-36 on FF).
Its optical performances are stellar. This is with absolute certainty the best ultrawide lens for DSLR cameras. It is better than Nikon's wide primes, and it is at least as good or better than some very expensive exotic lenses like the Carl Zeiss manual focus lenses. It has been optimized for digital cameras, implying less lightfall in the corners. It contains Nikon's fabulous N-glass which certainly contributes to its performances. Some Canonians will buy an adaptor ring and accept the fully manual operation of this lens on their canon bodis to be able to fully exploit its performances.
Be aware, this is a BIG and heavy lens. There is no way to put filters on it.

Enjoy!