5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't be more pleased..., 11 Oct 2008
David Bailey (Sunny Devon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon D300 Body Only (Electronics)
I've had three months of intensive use of the D300 before writing this review. Straight out of the box I thought it was wonderful, but would I still feel the same way after I'd used it for a range of photographic subjects and conditions?

The answer is a resounding YES. Everything about this camera is perfect - from the bright view, the ease of changing the lenses, the simplicity of the controls, the feel of the camera in the hands - just perfect. The images I've taken have been universally excellent, whether macro photographs of natural subjects, fish-eye landscapes or portrait shots, there's nothing an enthusiastic amateur can't achieve.

When it comes to accessories, the D300 also doesn't disappoint, with the range and quality of everything I've bought for it being outstanding.

The quality of any photograph is the combination of camera, subject and photographer. With the D300, one of those is perfection - the other two are up to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just wonderful, 10 Jun 2008
This review is from: Nikon D300 Body Only (Electronics)
I have finally upgraded from my trusty D100 (six yrs old) All i can say is WOW. I like using prime lens and I am over the moon at the quality. many of the other reviews go into quite a bit of detail. All I can say is that if you purchase one of these you won't be disappointed. This is a huge jump from a D100, but also a big leap from the D200. The picture and build quality is second to none. Buy one now and rekindle your hobby.

5.0 out of 5 stars A switch to confidence, 19 July 2008
Michael Watson (Cornwall) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon D300 Body Only (Electronics)
I'd only had my D300 for about 5 minutes and was just so amazed by the solid, confident feel of the camera. I changed from my somewhat underpowered Canon EOS20D and found the D300 a confidence inspiring piece of kit. The on board editing, especially the Active D Lighting edit facility, makes life so much easier. You can pick this up, flick it to 'P' and fire away safe in the knowledge that you'll get a decent shot. A word of warning though to anyone used to a camera with a full auto setting. This doesn't have one, so if you don't have a good knowledge of how a camera works and how to use ISO, shutter and apeture to gain the results you need, then you'll spend a great deal of time reading the manual. But this is a pro camera isn't it!
The screen is awesome. Huge and with superb detail. The menu system is pretty extensive but fairly easy to follow if you understand it all.
It's a great camera,and one which will feel equally at home in the hands of a keen amatuer on a day trip with the family and kids, as it will with the pro sports photographer and studio luvvie!
I use mine when I take the kids out the park to e-mail photos to Nan and Grandad, and then when I need it for work, on goes the battery grip, big fast lens and it performs each and every time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 10 July 2008
This review is from: Nikon D300 Body Only (Electronics)
Spent an hour and a half in Jessops this afternoon with a helpful sales assistant, and compared three DSLR bodies I've considered as the next step from my D70. Stick with Nikon DX and my existing DX lenses? Go back to Pentax and move to the K20? Follow a friend's rave reviews of her Sony a700 and start again on a new system?

Hitting manual focus has been impossible for me to do consistently on the D70, so I spent a while on that, and I have to say that I'd choose the a700 if that was the only issue. The viewfinder image just felt closer and cleaner and bigger. But I actually hit focus pretty well with all of them. So it fell to the other key issue for me, which is noise, particularly as I shoot a lot in low light and use high ISO. I was particularly sceptical of the Nikon following my recent experience with the Coolpix P5100 (see my amazon review) which claims ISO 3200, but where I found images sometimes impossibly noisy even at ISO 200. Nikon's claims for the P5100 are so absurd, in my view, that I couldn't help but be concerned about their claims even for the much larger sensor in the D300.

So, cue an hour shooting a display rack of black camera bags, all made of the same type of woven nylon canvas. We shot at 400 and at 1600 on all three. We shot jpegs at maximum quality. Lighting was mixed, mainly fluorescent, with some daylight from the shop door. All three on auto for white balance.

The Pentax lit up the black bags in greens, blues and reds. It was worse at 1600, but it was still pretty awful at 400. The noise had a very jaggy quality.

The Sony was, at first sight, not so bad, a lot of greens and blues, very little red, and a much smoother look to the image. Looking closer, though, there was a softness to the image, as if noise-reduction processing had also thrown away detail of the canvas weave.

When you looked at edges, both cameras hit focus well, but within a particular shape, the Pentax simply looked much sharper. The Sony, in fact, gave a texture that reminded me powerfully of the Coolpix P5100. Sharp (often oversharpened) edges to discrete shapes or forms, but a sort of watercolour-like blurriness within them.

The D300 ... black camera bags. Highlights, midtones and shadows all in shades of black and grey. We both just stood and said 'Wow'. Repeatedly. And then tried to find other ways to phrase it. But it was still basically, 'Wow'. Same story at 400 and 1600. Another reviewer has said 'noise, what noise?' and it really is like that.

If image quality is the criterion, then choosing between these three cameras is a no-brainer. You would be off your trolley not to choose the D300. I would add, if handling, menu structure, the positioning and labelling of buttons etc. is your criterion, then at almost every point the D300 comes last. If this is a 'professional' interface, you can forget it. It's just plain bad. But you're going to get used to all that.

I now want a D300. It's that simple.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomonly good camera, 24 Feb 2009
Sean Ryan - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon D300 Body Only (Electronics)
Being a sports-shooter who has just upgraded from the Nikon D50 this camera has given me a new lease of life!

The 51-point auto focus system, 6 frames per second, good battery life and excellent ISO performance make is easier to consistently capture the images that I'm looking for.

The familiar Nikon controls made it an easy switch too. I'm recommending the D300 to everyone I meet!

5.0 out of 5 stars See if you can get it cheaper, but definitely get it., 15 July 2014
This review is from: Nikon D300 Body Only (Electronics)
Despite the fact that there are many newer and better cameras about now, I won't let go of my D300.
The skin tone rendering is beautiful. I shoot a lot of work for mono printing, and this camera has a way with light that is almost romantic.

5.0 out of 5 stars = [ is amazing, 20 Nov 2013
This review is from: Nikon D300 Body Only (Electronics)
im not sure is just cos i was sick on Nikon already some years [ before been running Olympus E-3 ] Very Good camera witch had long story and hard time with me....

But this one hm... have to say im finding one of bests just after few days of shooting, as there is no perfect camera and it will be always some lack ...

good stuff!

pip!pip!
Seller too ; ]
regards
paciuk

5.0 out of 5 stars Cannot recommend highly enough a pleasure to do business with, 4 Oct 2013
This review is from: Nikon D300 Body Only (Electronics)
Cannot recommend highly enough a pleasure to do business with, delighted with camera body and retailer. It works a dream I will definatly use this retailer again, communication was excellent with this retailer

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply superb, 30 July 2013
This review is from: Nikon D300 Body Only (Electronics)
I needed a second body for my photography work and, to be honest, this will now be my first body. I already have the D90, which has been brilliant and continues to be so but the D300 is a big step up. It's a professional camera. I cannot rate it high enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for an obsolete model !!, 12 July 2013
This review is from: Nikon D300 Body Only (Electronics)
I got hold of one of these cameras on an auction site. The price was great and too good to pass up even if I have to find my feet a bit with it yet. I am amazed that a so called out dated model (most recent upgraded version has 720p video added) is dismissed as 'past it'.

Yes less noise is of course useful on newest models but do you need 36mp files all day long unless using it for a specific purpose ? The D800 shoots 4.5 frames/sec so cant cover very fast events like other models. Even adding the mdb10 boosts this baby beyond that. Then again not everyone is always shooting in low light alot of the time except working pros. Do you need an ISO of 25600 for a family photo?

Agree totally with C Hamer below - this is a fantastic second hand buy which will cover most serious amateurs' every day needs. Mine shows hardly any signs of wear and I am sure I will be happy with it for some time. A d600 FX body is some 1300-1400 without lens.....

Nikon D300 Body Only