4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin
Im not the heaviest user of mobile phones, but the Samsung G600 does everything that i need and has a few nifty extras thrown in.

Published on 23 Feb. 2008 by Scubasteve

3.0 out of 5 stars Good phone, but not the best.
I got this phone under an Orange contract,and I've found it reasonably ok to live with. When starting up the phone, I found it quite slow to boot up; not handy when you've turned off your phone during a lesson, meeting, lecture, or whatever it is you guys go to :). Of course, the way to get round this is to go to silent and turn everything off.

First things...
Published on 8 Dec. 2007 by Sen

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 23 Feb. 2008
Scubasteve (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung G600 Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black (Wireless Phone Accessory)

Camera - 5MP the qulaity of the images is clear, but i have seen better pictures on different cameras, its ok for those impulsive shots you want to take. Don't rely on it to capture important images (such as holiday snaps, birthdays etc.) use a digital camera for that!

Battery life - I know Samsungs have a reputation for having poor battery life. This phone will easily last me 5 days without charging, with moderate texting and conversation use.

Memory - The memory card slot comes in very handy as those 5mp pictures and video clips soon fill up the phone memory. Nice extra to have

Looks - Looks good, professional and has a nice smooth sliding action, after 3 months mine still looks brand new, so it stands the test of time pretty well (and no annoying touch buttons like the U600!)

All in all this is a good quality phone for people who want the basics from a phone. If you want the best of the best features wise then you might want to look elsewhere.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good phone, but not the best., 8 Dec. 2007

First things first - the calls. That's why you buy a phone, right? The calls I find are very clear and loud (although it depends whats happening in both backgrounds) and if it isn't loud enough, you can always turn of the speaker.

The background of this phone is a dynamic background that changes from night to day of the Big Ben. The idea of this thing is that because it is a quad band phone, it changes to say the Statue of Liberty when in America and the Eiffel tower when you're in France, that kinda stuff. If you dislike it, you can plaster a wallpaper over the thing.

Themes are limited on this phone. There are only 4 pre-installed themes, but there is a theme creator, but the best you can do is to get a picture then change the colour of the text and stuff - not very original. The only Samsungs that could have themes like Sony Ericssons (made on the computer) were the Z series.

The main menu goes like this:
Call Log
Phonebook
Music (player)
Browser
Messages
Files
Calendar
Camera
FM Radio (can record clips off the radio)
Applications
Alarms
Settings

Oh see that shiny circular thing in the middle of the phone? That isn't a scroll wheel. This means lots of clicking if you have a lot of music :( But playlists can be made! :)

The Music Player is pretty awesome. The phone comes with noise cancelling headphones, but I use my £10 Senheisser one just out of preference. Yes, it comes with a headphone adapter for you audiophiles. Its pretty much a standard player, except you can play podcasts on it, so I assume you can also play non-DRM iTunes as well. The speaker on the phone is better than that of my laptop (read: pretty good), and quite loud too.

You get a 1GB SDMicro card (With free SD card adapter) in the box. However, accessing the photos and videos you've taken using the camera is very slow and frustrating, so you're better off looking at them on your computer.

Onto the camera. It's good quality, don't get me wrong. It's just far too slow to take a picture - the multishot function takes more pictures, and faster than the single shot! Another key point for those you like their cameras is that the flash cannot be set permanently to Auto - you've got to turn in on EVERY TIME. This camera is incredibly frustrating, as you don't have time to navigate the menus to get the settings right just to take an instant picture. I'd suggest looking at the Sony Ericsson K850i or the LG Viewty if you want a decent camera on your phone.

However, this thing does have a few nifty applications. It has:
Voice Recorder
World Clock
Calculator
Timer
Stopwatch
(Orange Plus for me as I'm on contract. Not shure about anyone else tho.)

The converter is out of date, and I don't know how to update it. :(
But, the Calculator and the World Clock functions I find to be very helpful. You can check the time in other parts of the world (Obviously) but what also good about this is that u can the time of one region as a second clock on your main wall. That's pretty awesome if you're abroad and you want to call home, no?

The battery life I find to be very good. I tend to call alot and take a few pics and videos every now-and-again, and it lasts for a week, maybe more.

Last but not least, the style. It is a good looking phone, but scratches very easily if it is dropped or the little plastic thing over the screen comes off, but is incredibly durable against a lot of drops.

Overall, it is an average phone. The camera, although the quality is excellent, it is let down by its lack of saving your pre-defined settings and the time taken to start up and take a single photo. It is also crippled by its lack of customization of the themes. That is why I would give this phone a 3/5.

PS: you see that little circle to the top left of the 'SAMSUNG' lettering? that's a light sensor :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good little phone, 22 Sept. 2007
I got this phone the day it came out, and to begin with, I was very impressed with it.

In the past I have been an avid customer of the Sony Ericsson range, recently having the K800i which was an amazing phone, the camera on the G600 boasts 5mp athough the K800i having only 3.2mp was a much better picture. The phone is also very heavy, but I guess this is due to it being metal and it having ball bearings in it, which makes for a very smooth slide action.

The G600 has some lovely features but also some downsides, after only 8 days the black paint has come away around the screen, I can only assume its where I push it up to answer calls, there is nowhere else to put ur thumb its the screen, then buttons.

Im giving this phone 4 stars as it truly is a stunning phone, despite the small flaws I have noticed.

5.0 out of 5 stars G600, 5 Mar. 2008
Jay (United Kingdom Brighton) - See all my reviews
Brought this phone around 4 weeks ago, All in All one of the best phones i've had not one of the best phone's in alot of people's view's but it's good enough for me it's quite a simple phone i have never really been the one for Tech Stuff. But i am suprised. Although saying that i brought one for my partner who cant get o with it, "Opppps Amazon here i come"..........

2.0 out of 5 stars samsung could do much better, 27 Feb. 2009
Amazon Customer (Birmingham, West Mids United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
As a phone, its fine enough. Call people and they can hear you when you speak and you can hear them. Texting is fine as long as you turn off the complete gibberish that results using predictive text, which appears to operate in a different language and results in an unintelligible message that even a teenager would not be able to decipher.
The camera is more or less a waste of silicon, as unless the subject of your photograph is inanimate, nailed down or dead it will be at best blurred or more often as not gone before the shutter fires.

The reason I chose this phone was the music player. With an expandable memory it offered the chance to get 4 gig., or perhaps more, of music to listen too while out or away. My two year old 2 gig Sony mp3 was (is) great but you couldn't hear the phone if you were listening to it, so that was a problem if I was supposed to be working and contactable. The Samsung was a way to cure that. Again it's a waste of time. The menus are so slow that your journey is half over before you have navigated to the track or album you want, you then find that the music has been installed to the device having been completely rearranged so the tacks of an album are out of order. If you want to listen to them in original order you need to create a play list, which I gave up before attempting, or navigate backwards and forwards between tracks, believe me life or your journey isn't long enough for that option. The sound quality once you have a track playing is very poor. It's harsh and fatiguing to listen too with little or no bass to offset the very high shrill treble and yes I tried different headphones with little or no improvement. You can adjust this to some extent once you find the minimal equalisation option but this only results in it becoming barely listenable on a couple of the options and `''much''' worse on others.
Until I can upgrade this is just another phone. Taking photographs or listening to music is just a sales gimmick that I wish I'd have ignored. Thinking about it I wish I'd kept my old Nokia cameraless and music playerless model.

2.0 out of 5 stars Punching well above its weight, 26 Dec. 2007
E. Crysell "VonCrysell" (England) - See all my reviews
This phone certainly seems to have it all: 5MP camera, MP3 player, hands free set, and a 1GB memory card for all of your music/photos.

Unfortunately quality has been sacrificed to give the phone those stats. The 5MP camera takes very poor quality images, with shockingly bad colour definition. If you are thinking of photographing indoors, forget it. The camera seems to drop to 8bit colour depth.

Were it just a poor quality camera I could forgive Samsung, but using the phone is generally an unpleasant experience, the menus are badly laid out and long winded. There are also a number of functions missing from this phone which I find greatly limit its usefulness. The most serious of these is the omission of hands free calling. You cannot record voice commands into the phone for use with your Bluetooth hands free while driving! This makes the G600 at best useless in a car, at worst dangerous!

On a more positive note the design of the phone is very eye catching. The display screen is large, bright, and has very good definition. Including everything you should need to get you going in one pack is also a nice touch, meaning you won't have to fork out on extra cables to connect to your PC. The Bluetooth hands free is a nice little unit, although it doesn't feel entirely safe without an ear clip...

In my opinion this handset is punching above its weight and not delivering the goods. There are simply too many areas that leave you feeling 'it could have been done better'.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, Rubbish, Rubbish!!!, 16 Dec. 2008
OK, so I signed an 18 month contract with my mobile supplier and was sent the U600. This broke after 6 months so my network sent the G600 to replace it.

It's an ok phone, however, I have not had mine for a year, more like 8 months and it switches itself off. The battery is fully charged but the phone has a fault and just switches itself off. I've spoken to Samsung who have told me that it is just wear and tear and so I am not covered by my warranty.

Never had a problem like this with Nokia, my Nokia phones still work despite being years old, never mind months.

Will never use Samsung again.

Big dissappointment.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 8 April 2008
By the look of this phone, it should be the phone to have. When I opened the box I was quite excited - it looked fantastic and had a lovely silky feel to it. Nice size, decent weight.

It was when I started to use it I was bitterly disappointed for a variety of reasons. Having owned Samsung before I expected the usual. A nice innovative mobile, good value and easy to use. This mobile is none of them which is a shame as it could have been so much more.

I'll start with the controls. This phone does not automatically reset its menu. You can be in, say, mp3 mode and quit it. Later when you want to text, you go into our menu and find you're on mp3. This may not seem like a masisve gripe, but when every other mobiel you've had always starts its menu on the same icon and as such you know all you have to do is press down and select to text, this is very, very annoying.

Secondly, the text message system is very fiddly for a variety of reasons. Whilst using predictive, if the dictionary doesn't recognise a word instead of it being one press of a button to switch, you have to check the word and either approve or discard what's been written so far before it will let you change to standard text. Secondly, the icon system is far too small. Each icon appears on screen corresponding to a specific number. When you have 39 tiny icons corresponding to 39 tiny numbers on screen, it does get a little bit hard to see even with the big screen. As such I frequently put the wrong icon in.

The animation background is nice, but you get one choice. It's either the Houses of Parliament or a plain wallpaper (unless you want to spend a fortune downloading animations). The nice thing about the standard wallpaper is that the sky above Parliament changes depending on the time (day or night) and if you get a text at night, you'll get fireworks on your page. Nice, but doesn't balance off the bad points.

Tones. There are about 5 standard message tones. None of which are that good and you can't change them. Unlike other phone in which you can assign an mp3 tone to a text this isn't an option on the G600. It's a Samsung tone or nothing.

The camera is very disappointing for a 5mega pixel. I've had smiilar quality on older phones.

The good points are these. The mp3 player has wonderful sound. I've only tried it on its external sound but its sounds brilliant. Decent volume (top volume is loud enough to hear but not loud enough to irritate everyone else on a train).

Secondly, adding music files to this phone is a dream. Forget the software disc, if you're PC operating system is new enough, Windows will sync your media files automatcally allowing you to basically drag and drop. (plug the phone into the PC, open Windows Media, press sync and you're ready to go...it's that easy).

The memory card is tiny but with an impressive memory. I have loads of songs on my phone and my memory is not even half full yet. You also get another memory card that plugs into your PC allowing you to transfer files directly from your phone without cables.

The phone looks very fragile but its surprisingly sturdy. Already dropped mine and there's not a mark on it unlike my Sony Ericsson which lost its back case, the battery popped out and the sim went flying.

In summary, this is a decent enough phone but nothing special.The initial excitment will be replaced with frustration. I expected better of Samsung.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful design, 29 July 2009
K. D. Norris - See all my reviews
I recently bought a Samsung G600 phone to replace an unreliable Nokia phone, it looked the part when I bought it, however having owned it for a week, I wish I had done more research.
The phone has a very smooth, (slippery) finish, which often slips through my hands when handling it.
The slide function is equally difficult to open at times, (it works best with sweaty hands, or wear disposable surgical gloves), trying to load my friends mobile number proved so difficult, I had to put the phone down and walk away, otherwise I would have thrown it against the nearest wall, the buttons are so small and only seem to work occassionally, otherwise I am sure it is quite good, anyone need a Samsung G600 cheap, please contact me.

2.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY!, 4 Jun. 2009
Yes it looks good!
And yes it has relatively good features!
But Iv had this phone for about 6 months now, and although nothing major has gone wrong, there are little things that bug me!
like sometimes the screen likes to freeze,
and i had a major problem sending more than one text at a time.
There are much better phones out on the market for the same sort of price! keep looking!
I wish i didnt give my trusty Sony Ericsson to my brother now!

Samsung G600 Sim Free Mobile Phone - Black