5.0 out of 5 stars This item is HIGH QUALITY despite peoples doubts
First of all, I'd like to mention that I've owned by Cruzer Micro for about 2 years - I only have the 2GB version but thought I'd review on here seeing as this is an awesome price for a high quality memory stick.

Published on 1 July 2008 by J. Chapman

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working after 30 days...
...just outside Amazon's 30-day return window. So I am now having to deal with Sandisk (in the USA) to organise a return and warranty replacement. I have had several USB drives and I have never had one fail, until this Sandisk, my first 8 Gb model. The drive is no longer recognised by any PC.

I did eventually get a replacement sent from the Czech Republic,...
Published on 1 Nov 2008 by EasyGoer2

5.0 out of 5 stars This item is HIGH QUALITY despite peoples doubts, 1 July 2008
J. Chapman (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SanDisk 8GB Micro Cruzer USB Flash Drive (Accessory)

Ever since getting this bit of kit its worked a treat, despite being plastic, its VERY durable. By being plastic, its also VERY light, I've many times thought I may have lost it, as its so small and light in my pocket! Not sure if thats a good thing!

Also, the USB slider feature is very good - one would think that the slider may get a bit flimsy and loose after much use, but this is not the case, its still as tightly locked and good to use as the first day I got it.

And beleive me, I got this about half way through my college course and it got very vigorous and rough use - being slapped in and out of many machines - and it has never been a problem.

It has always been attached to my key ring along with many other keys and the small metal key ring attached to the stick is still in one peice - I think because it is metal, and so small - it is actually stronger than it looks.

When the USB section is snugly tucked away, it is still exposed to air, but its concealed enough to be safe, and what harm is a little dust going to do, I've NEVER once had to blow dust out of the end of mine and it still works first time every time.

One thing I'd also like to mention is that someone mentioned if you google "sandisk cruzer doesn't work" then you get lots of hits... most of these hits are about problems with the U3 technology and on various models of memory stick.

I never really used the U3 features so can't comment on that.

Hope this helps.

5/5 for sure.

4.0 out of 5 stars Plastic case is fine with me, 19 July 2008
Derek Williams "Derek Williams" (Edinburgh, Scotland, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SanDisk 8GB Micro Cruzer USB Flash Drive (Accessory)
I own the 4GB version with the identical plastic case and retracting USB. The plastic case has survived months of continuous use, and even kept working after I accidentaly kicked and broke it while it was in one the floor level USB slots and snapped, the plastic case was able be clicked back together and now is as good as new. Even the retracting thing still works. For the first couple of days after I first bought it, I kept accidentally retracting it by gripping the white slidey thing while plugging it in, but am now well used to it and hugely prefer it to having a cap which I always lose within a week of ownership of devices like this. When plugged into a powered USB2 hub it goes like greased lightning. Only annoying thing for me is actually the U3 CD thing which I never use but which keeps coming up with a list of "what do you want to do with this device" everytime I insert into a PC running Windows. Works perfectly for Mac however where the U3 thing is not such an annoyance, easy to transport files from one OS to the other, and read and write on both without a reformat being necessary.

4.0 out of 5 stars It does what it says on the box!, 26 Oct 2008
This review is from: SanDisk 8GB Micro Cruzer USB Flash Drive (Accessory)
The SanDisk Cruzer Micro 8GB U3 Readyboost Flash Drive.
I bought this flash drive recently for the U3 Portable applications and file storage, and it works well. The ReadyBoost with Vista also appears to work fine; I don't really know how much it speeds up the system. ReadyBoost can be set to use up to 4GB of the memory, leaving the rest for the portable applications and storage.
The portable applications are great; the PIM is good for remembering birthdays! Firefox is good for making favourites portable, etc.
In terms of value for money it is more 5 star than 4. Time will tell how robust it is for 5 stars.
The system Information for windows is a great portable utility: apart from anything else, I didn't realize how many usernames and passwords were so easily discovered! I've made my system a little more secure now!

4.0 out of 5 stars Plastic but not flimsy., 10 July 2008
This review is from: SanDisk 8GB Micro Cruzer USB Flash Drive (Accessory)
For those who say that "it seems flimsy", have you actually broken one? I cannot find references to someone who has. It is light and seems durable. Sure, it'll look a tad grimy going in and out of your pocket for months/years, but mine has served me well for the last 6, and no sign of stopping.

Review it honsestly, and if you are not happy with the quality, by al means send it back. But marking down in case the USB stick "might" do something...daft.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working after 30 days..., 1 Nov 2008
This review is from: SanDisk 8GB Micro Cruzer USB Flash Drive (Accessory)

I did eventually get a replacement sent from the Czech Republic, but only after sending lots of repeat information, photos and sending the faulty item to them at my expense. I also had to "reopen the case" twice after Sandisk had closed it without a resolution! The whole process took 2 months!

1.0 out of 5 stars Unacceptable return policy, 10 Dec 2008
Per Gamre - See all my reviews
This review is from: SanDisk 8GB Micro Cruzer USB Flash Drive (Accessory)
Disks fail and so did one of the two Cruzers I bought. To return the defect item you are asked to provide an hour's work of documentation including a picture of the serial number. After approval, you are requested to send the item at your cost to the Czech Republic! I am sure SanDisk speculate in customers not wanting to go through such hazzle. You should be aware this before buing any product from SanDisk.
Angry Norwegian in London

3.0 out of 5 stars Item Good, Shame about supplier..., 10 July 2008
I. Barfield (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SanDisk 8GB Micro Cruzer USB Flash Drive (Accessory)
I love using the Sandisk devices, however I have to say that I was disappointed when I opened the padded envelope to discover that it was empty. The company avides_media effectively accused me of stealing it when I told them, and said that I would need to prove that the package was empty when I got it, which was impossible to do since I'd opened the envelope. To this date they have refused to refund me for the loss or send a substitute. I have since found a more reliable vendor and have to say that I am very pleased with this device. Shame that avides_media fumbled the ball.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmmm, 23 Dec 2008
K. Burton - See all my reviews
This review is from: SanDisk 8GB Micro Cruzer USB Flash Drive (Accessory)
OK, maybe the one I had but.

On detect it said not formatted. Then it failed to detect at all on re-boot. Tried another PC and the same problem. Must have spent two hours playing with this trying to get it to work.

Sorry Guy's but mine is on it's way back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sandisk Cruzer 8gb usb, 1 Feb 2009
This review is from: SanDisk 8GB Micro Cruzer USB Flash Drive (Accessory)
The Sandisk Cruzer 8gb is a fast-performing usb 2.0 flash drive. It comes with a FAT32 partition. There is a small hidden bit of flash I think (for the U3 boost technology) and it comes with some free U3 Windows software on it. I wanted to use the drive with Linux, and so decided to remove the U3 technology. It is easy to do this "if you have access to a Windows machine". You connect up the drive to the Windows machine and start the uninstall program which is on the flash drive (I think this accesses the hidden bit of flash on the drive). Once this is done you have a completely 'virgin' 8gb usb drive.

The drive has a pop-out usb connector accessed by a sliding white switch
on the side. The usb connector clicks into place once fully extended. There is an LED inside the white switch which lights up when the drive is active (and flickers during file transfers).

I installed a Debian Linux Live usb image (google for those search terms) into the first 700Mb, and repartitioned the remaining 7.3Gb with ext2 file-system. This gives me a great method for booting up a machine into Linux (access Firefox, OpenOffice, and other apps easily) and also have a respectable space to copy files to and from (let's say if your Windows operating system refuses to boot up on your hard drive).

A bootable Linux Live distribution on a decent flash drive (like this one) starts up really quickly and performs well. If you have a DHCP enabled network (and it recognises your network adaptor) then you'll be on the network immediately (and able to browse the internet).

Note that booting up off a flash drive probably requires you to press function keys on your pc when at the BIOS stage of starting up the machine. (Typically this might be F1, F2, F11, F12 or Delete key).

If you want to restore a flash drive to FAT32 or use NTFS file-system, then you can do so from the Windows XP control panel, administrative tools, computer management, disk management.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hobbled by its physical design, 9 Mar 2009
R. Malburn - See all my reviews
This review is from: SanDisk 8GB Micro Cruzer USB Flash Drive (Accessory)
There's not really a lot you can do different with a USB pen drive, which makes them difficult things to review. With so little difference between models, the reviews really come down to that one element or feature that really makes the drive shine or fail. Sadly, in the case of the Cruzer Micro, that one element is a negative one that brings the overall value of the product down.

First the positives:

*U3 & Readyboost capable for those who seek these features
*Good price point for the capacity and for the reliability associated with the SanDisk name
*Compact and as about as sleek and stylish looking as you're probably going to get for a small pen drive.

Now for the negatives... or more accurately the single, but crippling negative. The sliding design of the pen drive. It seems like a great feature on paper - no more lost caps, keeping the connectors safe and hidden away inside the unit, etc. Sadly, in practice, the feature becomes a huge hindrance. For whatever reason, SanDisk did not include a way to lock the pen drive in the slid-out position. The result of this is that putting the drive into a USB slot is a huge aggravation, battling against the USB connector sliding back in on itself and losing the connection. This is only exacerbated when trying to put it in a less easily accessible USB port (e.g. on the back of the PC). Putting a USB drive into a USB slot should not be this frustrating, but sadly the sliding mechanism makes every attempt to use the drive a real chore and battle to get just the right grip to connect the drive without sliding the connectors back in.

Until the design is refined to provide a locking mechanism to keep the connectors deployed, I really can't recommend this drive over the multitude of competitors out there that are similarly priced but features classic lidded designs. The core features are all there to make this a great little pen drive, but the design just lets the whole package down.