Published on 15 Oct 2007 by Sina Fazelpour

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the last one!
Published on 3 Oct 2007 by Mr. B. Rich-swift

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars He was stronger than the walls that they tried to build around him, 15 Oct 2007
Sina Fazelpour (Toronto, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shotter's Nation (Audio CD)
In first few listens I found this album more accessible compared to "Down in Albion", even more commercial. And it wasn't something that I necessarily enjoyed at the time. But after spending weeks in my stereo, being more accessible doesn't seem too bad now, at least in the case of this record. The music is definitely more polished yet carefully constructed. There's less new experimentation but more influences from previously successful experiments of previous bands specially those of 60s MOD culture, and songwriting seems more of a group effort rather than the mainly solo effort of Pete Doherty in "Down in Albion". In lyrical terms, the presence of symbolist and romantic poets influence is still felt, in almost all of the songs and it still has (maybe even more) its touch of black humor to it, which is wonderful. But again Pete's lyrics seem more mature, with more brilliant moments and lines.

Another change compared to "Down in Albion" is the number tracks which is considerably less. And in my mind it helps significantly in giving this record a more consistent sound (I enjoyed most of the tracks from "Down in Albion", but still feel they could have took out 4,5 of them off the album and released them on EPs for instance).

At the end, I should also mention the DVD where the band talks about their influences on each song and stories behind them, which is very entertaining and gives new insight to the record. Also live performances of some of the songs.

Overall, I really recommend this album (SPECIALLY with its DVD) to any rock music fan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much Better......., 30 Nov 2007
jjonesp (Salford, Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shotter's Nation (Audio CD)
I must admit I quite liked Down in Albion. The production didn't put me off in the slightest, in fact I really liked the rawness in F*ck Forever, Killamangiro, 8 Dead Boys and 32nd of December. It just wasn't consistent however, and contained too many filler songs that just didn't need to be there (pentonville was a joke).

Now there is Shotter's Nation. A much cleaner, much tighter sounding album. It starts off triumphantly with Carry on up the Morning, a great way to start any album, in fact it's almost as good as Can't Stand Me Now as an opener. Then you have Delivery, the standard, yet catchy single breazes by.

What you have to do with this album to find its true gems is listen to it a few times, however once French Dog Blues, Unbilo/stookie Titled are in your head, they take over from the obvious choices for highlights like the incredibly infectious Death Left Hand and You Talk.

If you can put aside the its of filler on this album and search for the geniune pieces of quality, then Shotters Nation should easily place itself 2nd in the list of best Doherty creations (Up the bracket, obviously being the top dog).

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Album, 18 Oct 2007
This review is from: Shotter's Nation (Audio CD)
As A Libertines fan, and owning both albums, and Babyshambles last album, 'Down in Albion', this album has exceeded my expectations. The Music is reminiscent of the old Libertines albums, but has a newer feel. A quality buy, cant wait for the next.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the last one!, 3 Oct 2007
This review is from: Shotter's Nation (Audio CD)
I so much wanted to love this album and have played it to death since getting it 2 days ago, but I am very sad to say that I am somewhat dissapointed. I loved Down In Albion more then any other album I own, more then the Libertines albums and I hoped this would be the same snarling Pete sticking 2 fingers up at the world but it is not. What it is is a very well produced and tightly played album. Gone are the sounds of Pete knocking over the microphone on the 1st Shambles album, this is an album for a wider audience.

The first album was raucus, a rock and roll journey to the back street dives and crack houses of good old Blighty where as this album takes you for a stroll through a park. A much more mellow feeling. The Lib's albums and the first Babyshamble's album had a sound of their own, but this is an album where you are constantly thinking "Oh, that's the sound of the Cure or the Stone Roses or the....." I had so much hope for the future sound of Babyshambles after playing The Blindind E.P to death but there is not one song that comes close to any of them.

I am not saying that this is a bad album, it is not by any means that. If it was written by anybody else I would think "wow!" but I know what Pete is capable of and I think he is capable of more challenging music then this. Maybe in time I will grow to love it as much as his other work but I doubt it.

This is a skag album, mellow and warm, I prefer his crack albums wild and out of control. Take your pick.

5.0 out of 5 stars A second album that does more than enough to better the debut., 25 Sep 2007
This review is from: Shotter's Nation (Audio CD)
I was a huge Libertines fan, but to be honest, 'Down in Albion' was 75% cool, 25% alright. Certain tracks just didn't impress, an obvious one being 'Pentonville', which just had no business being on that CD. The 'Blinding' EP had two good songs, and the rest were, well, a bit lacklustre, really. Pete Doherty is capable of brilliant songwriting. The first Libertines album was fantastic, for instance. However, based on what Babyshambles had produced up until now, he wasn't quite living up to his hype.

This brings us to 'Shotter's Nation', where we find a now clean Pete Doherty. To be honest, the sound isn't anywhere near as chaotic, and Doherty is actually singing, as opposed to slurring, most of his lyrics.

Trouble is, your first natural reaction to any singer's first album as a recovered junkie is to expect annoying acoustic hippie twoddle about coming from the brink, and for this reason, I was a little apprehensive about Babyshambles' new album. I should have had more faith, really.

This is a fantastic album. Half the CD is Clash-style punk; the other half is interesting, toned-down, reflective indie songs. You get the impression that this album has been designed for people to wave lighters and chant along to. That's not a bad thing though.

The single, 'Delivery', is awesome. Elsewhere, 'French Dog Blues', 'Carry on up the morning' and 'Deft Left Hand' wouldn't sound out of place on either of the Libertines' CDs. My personal favourite though is 'Side of the Road', which is every bit as charged as 'Pipedown' or 'A rebours' on the first Babyshambles album.

Don't be put off by the fact that it's produced by Blur's producer, that Doherty's no longer a raging addict and that one of the original band members isn't there. There is nothing Britpop about this album, and you certainly don't have another Oasis or Charlatans on your hands. Don't hesitate to buy this. It could easily wind up being the album of the year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Far from a Shambles!, 24 Jan 2008
D. Ludwig "dml17" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shotter's Nation (Audio CD)
I've bought the Libertine albums and liked most of what they did. The first Babyshambles album though I steered well clear of and didn't take much of an intrest in, thats because of Mr Doherty's antics which everybody knows about. All I've heard about this album is that its far better than the first and there's a heavy Kinks influence etc, etc. I've got to say that this album is one of the best albums I've heard in a long time, yes their are hints of The Kinks, but their are also tracks sounding like early Bowie, Iggy Pop and even a track which sounds like something from The Cure. The whole album reminds me of the early Britpop era with melodic guitar rifts and classy drum beats. The drum intro in one track sounds a lot like Oasis's drum intro to Roll with It. I could go into fine detail all the good points about this album and I still wouldn't give it justice! All I will say is that very rarely does an album make me sit up and listen, don't get me wrong I wouldn't put it up their with the greats, but it comes damn close! If your a fan of The Libertines you'll love it, If you loved the Britpop era, you'll love it, If you want an album that's full of melodic guitars and great lyrics, which as an indie album is quite easy listening, buy it now!!!! You won't be disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Definitely better than their first one, 26 Feb 2008
L. Green "Feltano" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Barcode: 5099950862023

I think like a lot of people, i really enjoyed the Libertines' carefree, catchy tunes - the music that really sparked off British Indie as we know it today. But when The Babyshambles' first album came around many were dissapointed by its shambolic cod-reggae mess-up sound.

I'm so pleased then that for their second album they came up with something so, so much better. 'Delivery' is a catchy, inspiring, heartwarming song where Pete's vocals sound on top form. 'You Talk', the second single is equally full of charm.

On a whole, the album sounds cohesive and you can tell the band put a lot fo effort into it and enjoyed themselves a lot while doing it. I'm not a big fan of the band and don't listen to their music often but Shotter's Nation has massively restored my faith in the band and raised my level of respect for them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done Pete and chums, 12 Oct 2007
Ben Mitchell "Mitch31" (Swansea) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shotter's Nation (Audio CD)
This album has a 60's sound to it for sure. I think that delivery is great a bit of Kinks in the sound. Its a better production than Down In Albion more refined. For me it is a completely different style to its predecessor there are no angst tracks like F- Forever or killamangiro. I feel that the maturity of the sound is matched by Petes lyrics and perhaps this reflects the new found maturity in his personal life. Im a great believer in Babyshambles and hope they continue to prove their critics wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars babyshambles, 28 May 2014
This review is from: Shotter's Nation (Audio CD)
i love it. one of the best albums i've bought. just love babyshambles. a must have nearly got all albums

4.0 out of 5 stars Frequent Moments Of Brilliance, 30 April 2014
Keith M - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Shotter's Nation (Audio CD)
Following Babyshambles’ return to recording with last year’s stonking Sequel To The Prequel (the best thing Pete Doherty has done since The Libertines, IMHO), I thought I would give this 2007 effort another listen. I have always thought Shotter’s Nation, though scoring more highly in terms of consistency, did not quite reach the heights (or level of 'diversity’) of 2005’s Down In Albion or, indeed (subsequently) the song-writing quality of Sequel, and recent listenings have confirmed this view. That is not to say Shotter’s Nation is a bad album – far from it, it contains more subtle melodies, (typical Doherty) idiosyncratically poetic lyrics (albeit with a near-all-consuming drugs theme) and innovative song structures than most bands could dream of – plus an impressive sound mix of spontaneity and assuredness, courtesy of producer Stephen Street.

There is, perhaps unsurprisingly, a repeating theme here of the persecuted artist, a victim of circumstance with music the only route to spiritual salvation ('This song might deliver me straight from the harshness of misery’). This does not, however, detract overly from album highlights such as the vibrant, retro, Kinks-inspired Delivery, the beautifully subtle (and ironic) tale of media exploitation of Unstookie Titled; Deft Left Hand, with its intoxicating intro riff followed by Doherty’s barbed plea from the heart (almost certainly to a certain Ms Moss), 'That woman’s tears could be the death of me....oh dear’, and then (best of all) the lovingly recaptured Libertines spirit (that straining harmonica) of Doherty’s trip to Mr Cocker’s ‘kitchen sink drama school’ in the brilliant tale of domestic upheaval of Baddie’s Boogie, 'Thinking, she’s far too good looking to do the cooking’.

Thereafter, we still have the catchy hooks of album opener Carry On Up The Morning, the deceptive jauntiness and duplicity of You Talk, the rhythmic sophistication and song-writing parody (plus embedded Ian Brown lyrics) in French Dog Blues, the ambivalent romantic tale at the heart of There She Goes (certainly more Robert Smith- than Lou Reed-like) and the exquisite Bert Jansch guitar on the beautiful album closer, and (again) sorry tale, Lost Art Of Murder. Much to admire, therefore, and, given the quality of Sequel To The Prequel, (hopefully) to look forward to.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Shotter's Nation
Shotter's Nation by Babyshambles (Audio CD - 2007)