5.0 out of 5 stars Genius
Opeth are just about the most interesting rock band on the planet right now. This live album is an excellent representation of their live show, faithfully capturing their gig at the Roundhouse on the "Ghost Reveries" tour.

Published on 17 Nov 2007 by Mohsin A. Siddiqi

3.0 out of 5 stars A typical live performance
Let's start by saying that Opeth are my favorite metal band. I was a bit reluctant before bying this cd though. I've seen Opeth live once and they were great, no doubt about that. I also own the live DVD they released and it's pretty good, I watch it now and then. But has Roundhouse Tapes anything more to offer to the fans?

Well, I bought The Roundhouse Tapes...
Published on 1 Mar 2008 by ImmortalWind

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius, 17 Nov 2007
Mohsin A. Siddiqi (Ilford, Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Roundhouse Tapes: Opeth Live (Audio CD)

I saw Opeth early on during that tour, and, although they were excellent, I did have some reservations about the "new" drummer Martin Axenrot. Martin Lopez is a VERY hard act to follow and I wasn't sure that Axenrot was up to it. I have to say that this release has dispelled any doubts and I look forward to the upcoming new Opeth material to see what Axenrot's style brings to Opeth.

Highlights?..well, they're all really good performances, I particularly enjoyed "Blackwater Park" and "Under the Weeping Moon". Brilliant songs played by brilliant musicians.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, 10 Feb 2011
This Opeth Dvd +Cd
Dvd: Is well filmed A great selection of songs more older material which is actually very nice to hear it gives the older songs new fresh life they sound so much more vibrant live the camera work is great close up shots and long shots of the band from many different angles crowd shots to show you how happy they are and occasinal establishing shot just to remind you how big this gig is.
there are the odd visual effects such a sepia to make it look older which kinda suites the film,
The band performance is top notch They all really enjoy themselves and go Opeth style nuts. Even new drummer sounds great too
this sadly is the last recording of Peter Lindgren so it is just as well it is an amzing Show.
Cd:
the sound is great so much space and yet so crushing and weighty and powerful and then yet so mellow and calm in the calm moments it is the most beautiful sound you can hear in the mad moments it is the most gut wrenching Evil and powerful sound the band are SOOOO tight on this night everything is wonderful
Standouts for me
are
Face of Melinda, bleak, Under the Weeping moon and black water park

there is also some funny banter between songs aswell the singing parts are fabulous and the growling parts are also great infact possibly better than on royal albert hall discs
I ripped this cd in to ITunes in the higest fidelity possible just so I can enjoy it.
the Face of melinda live is so very gorgeous through the slow soft part right up until that first double cymbal smash and then the power and the ultra groovy riff comes in and it just sounds sooo good

All in all a solid live performance caught on an equally solid dvd and Cd box set YUMMY

5.0 out of 5 stars Progtastic Mate, 20 Mar 2008
Darren Vaughan "Darren Vaughan" (Amersham, Bucks, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Roundhouse Tapes: Opeth Live (Audio CD)
Let's leave aside the fact that I was there that cold November night, to see one of the great match-ups on any bill ie. Paradise Lost with Opeth to close. Super venue, super accoustics and of course super music.
There might be a tendancy to buy the live CD as a keep-sake and nothing more. But as a fan of both extreme metal and prog; this album really delivers.How The West Was Won, Past Lives , Space Ritual , Nothing Is Easy , Different Stages , Salival, Strangers in The Night , Seconds Out , Everything Louder... are all classic live albums; and here comes the shock. The Rounhouse Tapes can proudly stand alongside the aforementioned.
They generously chose a set comprising of a song from each album ( 2 from Park and Hearse )that avoided the night being a Ghost Reveries showcase.A truly great live album is like a decent Claret; once opened you have to consume the lot in one go.After listening to it in one go, if you find yourself actually cheering along with the crowd after each song, then we have a classic.
Opeth might be Tool's understudies or Steve Wilson's babies; but with The Roundhouse Tapes, the stabilisers are off and they are flying.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Roundhouse Tapes, 4 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Roundhouse Tapes (Audio CD)
I wanted this Live album/DVD for some time and it did not disappoint. In some ways, even better than the Albert Hall gig, which is terrific. Very good packaging as well, having 2 cd's so I can use my portable CD player as well. A must for fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great show that I was at!!!!!, 10 Mar 2008
This review is from: The Roundhouse Tapes: Opeth Live (Audio CD)
The fact that I was actually at this show will be probably make my opinion very bias. Readers should take this into consideration.
Arguably, Ghost Reveries was the album that help put Opeth on the map and in the media. With the intention of releasing a dvd of this show, the band dug deep into their past and pulled out a list of songs, so it would not be like releasing Lamentations with a few new songs. Fans of the later albums (from Blackwater Park onwards) would not enjoy this as much as the hardcore Opeth fans, and at the time I didnt. But I listened to a lot of the older stuff after the gig and when this was released I loved it.
Typical of the band, this show has a set list consisting of the quiet and heavy stuff that makes Opeth unique. From the first song you really need to know their discography well. They open with a great performance of When, followed by an equally good Ghost of Perdition. Most of the set is off the first couple of albums the band released, with the exception of Ghost of Perdition, Bleak and Windowpane. Although quite a lot of their best songs, in my opinion (April Ethereal, the Baying of the Hounds and Deliverance), were left out, this is still an enjoyable kick ass show.
Everything you expect from Opeth is in this gig. Good mix of songs heavy and mellow, and the typical dry wit of frontman, Mikael Akerfeldt, in between songs. Some of the things Akerfeldt comes out with, will leave you laughing out loud.
Great show that any Opeth fan should listen to

3.0 out of 5 stars A typical live performance, 1 Mar 2008
This review is from: The Roundhouse Tapes: Opeth Live (Audio CD)

Well, I bought The Roundhouse Tapes after all, mainly because I'd like to listen how they performed live their earlier songs (Under the weeping moon, The night and the silent water and When) which come out from my favorite Opeth records. So, the overall perfomance was very good, Mikael's growls are much heavier than the original recordings but... pretty much what I expected.

Although Rounhouse is a very good album all in all, with a good collection of songs, I hate to say that at the end this live cd has not really much to offer to the average fan. I wasn't sulprised by any song, all was pretty much waht I expected to be. So, in conclusion what you get is the songs you already know and heard hundreds of time (haven't you?), played live. And that's all about it. No more, no less. So it's up to you to decide whether you get it or not.

About the packacking. There is a small booklet inside with no information whatsoever, just a "blurred" photo of each band member. The first cd comes with 6 songs while the second comes with 3. Why wouldn't they even the duration along the 2 cds, I 'll never know.

Get it for a fair price, but don't expect too much. I would wait for the DVD release if I were you. God, I hate to rate an Opeth cd with less than 4 stars, but I guess this one deserves 3. Not for the songs ofcourse (most of them are great IMO), but for the fact that this cd has nothing really more to offer to someone who owns all studio albums. It may be a good idea for someone who haven't heard Opeth before and don't know which album to buy. Yes, it's a good idea.

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty Package, 26 May 2013
This review is from: The Roundhouse Tapes (Audio CD)
Was really looking forward to this and there was nothing wrong with Opeth, they are one of my favourite . The problem was that the package contained 2 copies of disc 1 and no disc 2. Also no option to get a new copy sent out, had to receive a refund.

The Roundhouse Tapes: Opeth Live
The Roundhouse Tapes: Opeth Live by Opeth (Audio CD - 2013)