5.0 out of 5 stars Two Titles Unfortunately Missing
Published on 28 Jan 2008 by Coloratura

3.0 out of 5 stars Movies were great, but would not play on my dvd player
I was not aware that dvd players have regions and that these movies would not play on my player. I am able to play them on my computer but only for a short time. I will need to upgrade my dvd player and I am not sure how easy these players are to get. I wish the website would have been more clear about this issue. Otherwise great movies, they were the complete movie,...
Published 10 months ago by shawn m lemons

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Two Titles Unfortunately Missing, 28 Jan 2008
Coloratura (Cincinnati, OH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The W.C. Fields Collection [DVD] (DVD)
Amazon.co.uk's description of this item includes MRS. WIGGS OF THE CABBAGE PATCH and ALICE IN WONDERLAND as part of this outstanding box set. Alas, neither are present -- and all of the discs here are double features except for two, which would have accomodated the MIA titles handsomely. This is just to warn those prospective buyers who might have sprung for this set to obtain one or the other. That problem aside, the set is beautifully designed and the films themselves look and sound splendid. A wonderful opportunity to discover or rediscover one of the movies' greatest funny men.

5.0 out of 5 stars GOLD... PURE GOLD, 8 Sep 2009
David Wicks (Gosford, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The W.C. Fields Collection [DVD] (DVD)
What a treasure! Stumbled across this set by sheer chance on the UK website and what a find! 17 beautifully restored Fields vehicles, every one a gem ... (well, OK, "Follow the Boys" is a bit of a stretch, but there's Bill with his classic pool routine and you can almost hear him say as he exits, "let 'em top THAT with CGI in 60 years!!!".) Now there's only a few of Fields' movies to surface on DVD - "Alice in Wonderland", "Her Majesty Love", "Mrs Wiggs...", "Song of the Open Road" and "Sensations of 1945". Please Paramount & Universal - don't let it be too much longer.

4.0 out of 5 stars WC Fields - what a star!, 4 April 2010
V. Goddard "Funnybun" (Mansfield, Notts, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The W.C. Fields Collection [DVD] (DVD)
'Fit for man nor beast' - a phrase trotted out by my husband when bad weather loomed. Now I know where the line comes from! (The Fatal Glass of Beer)
This selection of classic WC Fields films is second to none; his antics with props is inspirational and the scripts are extremely funny.
The sound quality is poor, but notching up the volume button addresses that issue and the picture quality is astounding on such old films.
A great buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get 'em while they last!, 27 July 2009
Henry Gross (Nashville TN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The W.C. Fields Collection [DVD] (DVD)
This is my second review of this box set. It seems that several of these films will most likely never be released on DVD in the USA. W.C. Fields movies are undeniably among the greatest comedies ever filmed. I find nuances I previously missed in his performances to this day. His mutterings are masterful! So I paraphrase the great man for all my dear friends in the UK: "You were lucky and you didn't know it!" Buy this box set ASAP. Or steal one if you can. As Fields said: "A thing worth having is worth cheating for!" Rock on! Henry Gross

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 14 Feb 2009
Mr. Pd Kyriacou "phil86" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The W.C. Fields Collection [DVD] (DVD)
I was on You Tube and suddenly remembered a clip I had seen on T.V of The Great W.C.Fields when I was young. I'd never seen any of his work before or since and I didn't know the name of the feature. So I typed W.C.Fields into You Tube and low and behold I found the clip, it was the "Honest John" scene in 'Six of a Kind'. I laughed until I cried at this clip, I immedietly wanted more, I started searching on Amazon and found this collection.

I was not dissapointed, it contains his greatest feature films, all of which are a joy, in particular, 'It's a Gift', 'The Bank Dick' and 'Man On The Flying Trapeze'. This set is beautifully presented, the films are eloquently remasted in picture and sound, and are hilarious from start to finish.

I am a huge fan of the early comedians even though I'm only 22 but among my favourites such as Laurel and Hardy, The Marx Brothers and Buster Keaton, W.C Fields is right up there with them, and so he should be. Fields was a creation unlike any other before and since.

5.0 out of 5 stars The correct list, 28 May 2009
flyinghyphen "flyinghyphen" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The W.C. Fields Collection [DVD] (DVD)
A fantastic collection of films starring the unforgettable comedic actor (and juggler!) W.C. Fields. Contains My Little Chickadee, Never Give a Sucker an Even Break, It's A Gift, You're Telling Me, Man on the Flying Trapeze, The Old Fashioned Way, Poppy, You Can't Cheat An Honest Man, Six of a Kind, The Bank Dick, Follow The Boys, International House, Million Dollar Legs, Mississippi, The Big Broadcast of 1938, Tillie and Gus, If I Had A Million.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of a kind - great fun, 15 Nov 2009
This review is from: The W.C. Fields Collection [DVD] (DVD)
W C Fields was a unique comedy performer from the early Hollywood era, playing the wisecracking semi-drunken eccentric in a wide range of starring vehicles. Many of them are semi-legendary now (all on this wonderful Universal collection) and it's certainly true that these films still raise plenty of laughs after all this time. They may be in black and white and lack CGI effects but they have great actors, writing and performances. First out of the box for me was Six of a Kind - with George and Gracie Burns, directed by the marvellous Leo McCarey. Thoroughly enjoyable (and my kids liked it too). Catch it while you can - an early Hollywood great, along with Laurel & Hardy, Harold Lloyd and Buster Keaton.

5.0 out of 5 stars IT'S A GIFT, 18 Dec 2007
P. Hampton "Phil Hampton" (middlesbrough, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The W.C. Fields Collection [DVD] (DVD)
IF YOU DO NOTHING ELSE FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE, GET A COPY OF THIS SET. I HAVE WAITED 20 YEARS FOR SUCH A FANTASTIC COLLECTION BY THE FUNNIEST MAN EVER TO SET FOOT IN FRONT OF A CAMERA. IF YOU LIKE LAUREL AND HARDY YOU WILL LOVE THIS.

WC FIELDS WAS THE FIRST AND BEST ALTERNATIVE COMEDIAN, BEFORE ALTERNATIVE COMEDY HAD EVEN BEEN INVENTED.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic comedy, 9 Feb 2008
This review is from: The W.C. Fields Collection [DVD] (DVD)
One of my favourite comedy actors of all time.Great box set with some classic films and some good ones.Only 1 dissapointed me where you dont see the star until the end.Also 2 advertised by Amazon are not there but you still get 16 movies on 10 dvds.
Original comedy and great collectors item.

5.0 out of 5 stars great birthday gift, 28 July 2009
Mrs. S. S. Duncan (Dundee) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The W.C. Fields Collection [DVD] (DVD)
Bought this set for a 50th birthday gift for a relation. He is the kind of person who has everything and very difficult to buy for. He was very pleased with the set and I thought it was an unusual present. I was very pleased with the price as well it was a great bargain. So thank you for saving me a shopping trip. Sandra from Dundee

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The W.C. Fields Collection [DVD]
The W.C. Fields Collection [DVD] by W.C. Fields (DVD - 2007)