on 4 March 2014
This is fantastic - as simple as that. I enjoy a variety of sports and enjoy videoing me and my mates during this. We have all tried a variety of "extension" poles but they havent quite lived up to our requirements. The XShot certainly does.

I bought it following a review from Zona and read more on XShots website. They say they have worked with action and sports companies to produce the perfect Extender and I believe they have listened and created that product.

The grip is oversized which is ideal when im wearing ski gloves and has these rubberised squares that give great feel - solid but with a slight give to provide a comfortable hold. The metal extension portions are pretty solid and unlike a couple of lower priced ones ive used they have a groves running down the middle that stop the poles rotating. I have a GoPro, Sony camcorder and Fuji camera that I like to use dependant on what we are doing so the two adapters that come with it are ideal. They are quick to change so I can take photos on my Fuji and then switch to the GP really easily.

If your into active sports and film yourself then this is for you. Im going to post up a couple of photos that I took skiing and whitewater rafting. Hope you like them as much as I did getting them!
review image review image review image review image review image
on 10 March 2014
I got one these to use with my GoPro, and for the most part it is good, however it got damaged quite easily and now no longer works properly. For taking photos with a digital camera I'd highly recommend it and give it 5 stars, but my review is based on my experience with using a GoPro camera. As others have said it obviously doesn't come with the GoPro tripod mount, but you can pick those up cheaply (especially on ebay).

Pros:
- Small and compact, so more ideal for travelling than the clear non-extending GoPole Evo I also have.
- Extends far enough to get a decent shot of yourself.

Cons:
- Not ideal for use in snow or water (melted snow left the inside wet when closed - could lead to rust and already hard to open smoothly).
- Slightly shaky footage sometimes (due to the thin multiple sections) compared to the GoPole Evo.
- The metal seems quite soft. The lowest section got bent in very low speed collision between a soft bag and someones leg - now has sharp metal 'crack' on one side where it bent, and the upper sections no longer fit properly and are separate from the handle and bottom section. I've tried repairing it but couldn't fix it properly.

For recording video with a GoPro, if it's just being used when walking it's good and would highly recommend it, but if using it for sports/high speed/bumpy or wet conditions I might go with something a little stronger or more sturdy, unless you're a bit more careful with it.

As my one has now broken and doesn't extend to it's full length without coming apart, I'm undecided if I should get another one of these, or splash out and get the extending GoPole Reach. But for most uses I would recommend this one.
on 16 April 2014
I used this pole with my Drift Camera to great effect when I went snowboarding.
Features:
the pole extends and has ridges in the extension to help prevent twisting.
Has a simple wrist strap, no method for 'tightening' it.
Has a thread in the base of the pole.
The end swivels up and down. There is no left-right swivel in the joint, this would need to be done with the angle you tighten up the camea with.
It only seems to have a couple of threads of engagement in the camera. You can try and tighten up as much as possible but you will always get more 'leverage' from twisting the camera, which means it feels like it can fall off really easily. That said, not once did my camera fall off.
on 30 September 2013
I already had an extender that cost under a tender but it was not very stable so I decided to buy something a bit stronger. The groove built into the extending sections stops it rotating of its own accord. I use it for my GoPro Hero3 and it s perfect - ok you have to buy the GoPro tripod adaptor as well.
Nice weight - feels robust, comfortable to carry and easy to pack
on 19 March 2014
Got it for the GoPro for Snowboarding, It's a decent little sturdy pole and extends a fair bit, but there's a fair bit of twist in the joints which had the camera knocking about a bit, which wasn't a problem if I'm honest on the slope, but would have liked no give on this!
on 4 March 2015
It's a decent product. I bought it to use with my Panasonic camcorder, on family trips. Have tried it on a London day-trip so far, and it was okay. Seems sturdy enough, extends well.

One issue I've found (in agreement with one of the previous reviewer) is, the threads to attach the camera are very few. You twist it a couple of times, and that's it. It doesn't go beyond that. Whereas you feel that the camera can take many more threads. If you put your camera on tripod, you feel secure. Not with this. You always feel that the camera will fall off, especially a relatively heavier camcorder. They could surely have done with a few more threads. I don't really understand the reason for not doing it.

When I tried putting the camera for the first time, I tried twisting camera, to get a couple of more threads in. I ended up twisting the rubber support out of its place instead. I could put it back though.
on 13 November 2015
This stick is a bit of an overkill for my photographic needs but I wanted something that is of good quality and which comes highly recommended. The other reviews on Amazon suggest that it ticks the box on all counts......well at least with most people. I'm neither a Go-Pro action hero, or a selfie maniac, rather I'm a humble photographer who has rather large hands. This is not a problem when using my SLR but I struggle when holding my compact cameras, as my hands make it difficult to hold and operate the camera comfortably. I've been using a mini tripod for sometime, which did the trick but when I saw a fellow photographer using a selfie stick, I thought that's what I need....so the hunt began.
I've not yet used the XShot in anger, as it only arrived a couple of days ago but my first impressions are excellent. It exudes quality and the ergonomics are perfect. The grip is made from indented rubber and being 5 inches (103mm) in length, it fits perfectly in my hand. When delivered it comes with the GoPro camera mount attached but it was a simple job to remove it using the allen key provided,and to replace it with the provided camera mount.
A number of reviewers have observed that the screw, which fits into the camera base is not that long; true but it still does the job of anchoring my camera firmly to the stick. For information I've tried it on my Sony DSC-RX100M2 and Sony DSC--HX90V and it fits perfectly. The HX90V is also protected by a leather case and it worked just the same. Holding and operating the cameras is much more comfortable using the stick and it also allows me to shoot photographs at a much slower shutter speed than I could achieve without it. The stick is a bit heavier than the mini tripod I was using previously but it is still light enough to remain fixed to my camera, when suspended from the neck strap.
I doubt whether I'll be using the stick that often in its fully extended position but I've tried it and the camera feels perfectly poised, with no strain, bending, or flexing of the stick. Over the coming weeks I'll be using it in anger and if my views change, I'll update my review.
on 9 August 2015
Works well and fits securely for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6 and Samsung wb200f camera. However it does not fit well with the Olympus tg 4, it wobbles and doesn't feel secure. The Bluetooth shutter button works well, is easy to set up and attach to the stick and it has a nice feel to it. The materials feel high quality and nice to handle, it is easy to extend. I would recommend buying this product if you have the right device to use it with.
on 18 September 2014
Works well. Have used it in the sea - air and wind. The head is reasonably secure and the tilt function is useful and it works well - but is very slightly wobbly - but only when you wiggle it by hand. Normal use with a GoPro results in a secure fitting. Considering the price - it's worth a go. Handy to pack away and enables the perfect selfie or interesting angles from above or below.
on 6 September 2013
A very firm and sturdy pole. Not to heavy not to light. Fits in my backpack and pockets. Good price for a very strong pole. Buy it,