Format: DVD|Change

on 8 February 2009
Alan Titchmarsh is the perfect companion on a tour throughout the U.K. looking at every aspect of wildlife and countryside blending in both perfectly. Apart from the series being beautifully filmed and hosted by Alan we found the documentary packed with interesting information. We learned lots of things such as 'did you know it was the Normans in 1066 who brought the pheasants to Britain altering the English landscape forever'? Anyone with an interest in our countryside and wildlife will thoroughly enjoy this series.
on 3 December 2009
Nature of Britain is just beautiful.Wonderfully filmed.I just love the way each program has been arranged into different habitats,forests,freshwater,Island Britain etc.It allows you to be totally immersed in each section.
Alan Titchmarsh has really found his forte with this one.His commentry is funny,his enthusiasm is infectious and I was surprised to find it very informative.
If you like to see British wildlife as opposed to the Serengetti, you will love this.
Someone would love this as a gift.
on 26 May 2009
I was a admirer of Alan Titchmarsh when he was in Ground Force on BBC America. I missed him when he left and later read of the series he was "presenting" on the nature and history of Britain. Until recently, I was unable to obtain this DVD set and could not have played it had I been able to find it. I didn't have a region 2 DVD player. The price of an all regions DVD player finally reached a price that I could afford. I bought one and found this delightful program on Amazon UK. BBC won't sell it overseas.
Mr. Titchmarsh is wonderful. He obviously loves nature and certainly the nature of Britain.The photography is top notch and the narration is witty, informative and uniquely Alan Titchmarsh. He conveys his love of nature in a way that makes this Anglophile wish I could visit the country of my heart. Thank you so much for making this available.
on 17 April 2014
The BBC do this type of programme better than any other film crew. It's a wonderful set of programmes exploring the beauty of the British Isles, with the clever casting of Alan Tichmarsh bringing his passionate love of the landscape and its many inhabitants.
There are some inexpected bonus videos after the main ones, created by the Forestry Commission.
If you love native wildlife served up in an unpretentious, unaffected style, then this is a DO-NOT-MISS! I cannot praise it highly enough. More please....
on 23 July 2012
What a brilliant series. Congratulations to all those who were involved in its making and development. You can see the many hours of filming that must have gone in to getting some of the most incredible nature shots around. Alan Titchmarsh's natural love for his country abounds. His natural flare and heartfelt commentary is something worth watching and listening to. The filming is out of this world with some of the most amazing time lapse shots, slow motion and up close filming we have ever enjoyed just waiting for all to discover and enjoy. We live on the other side of the world but have just visited Britain. We are now sorry we didn't get to see some of the beautiful places Alan takes you to in the series. This is a series every Briton should see. Feel proud about it, it's simply a great production and will be watched many times.
on 26 October 2014
This BBC 3 Disc DVD set was good when first tranmitted in 2007 and is even better on DVD. Alan Titchmarsh is as good as ever as the presenter and the scope of the locations, the scenery, the animals and the very good photography all add up to an excellent pack of our British Nature.Do you have any relatives interested in the subject ? it would make a cracking Christmas present for under £11.
on 1 May 2016
This is definitely one of my favourite nature DVDs. When I saw it on TV, I couldn't resist buying it on DVD. This series does a great job at proving that you don't have to leave the British Isles to find diverse and interesting wildlife, as we have lots here.
I recommend it to any nature lover, especially those interested in British wildlife!
on 3 November 2012
I discovered about this fantastic series on holiday, four years ago: not living in Britain I did not know Alan Titchmarsh for his gardening programs, I saw the book "The Nature of Britain", I found the pictures wonderful and when I looked it up on Amazon I discovered there was a tv program and ordered it. It has several remarkable qualities: that the different episodes are about different ecosystems (Freshwater, the coast, but also, the areas that people leave after having exploited them...)which are explored in their various aspects: animal life, vegetation, man's presence. That the images are absolutely stunning, but never just aimed at the "wow effect". That every episode is drenched in love for the British countryside and wildlife, without becoming sugary, there is actually a little humorous touch here and there. As a teacher of English in Italy, I will add that Mr Tichmarsh pronunciation and relaxed style of utterance makes him very accessible to students of English. I have just purchased it again because I lent the box set I had originally bought to someone I can't recall and who must have liked it, because I never got it back.
on 7 June 2015
Amazing value. 8 hours of superb video for about a £1 an hour! The photography is stunning. The presentation by Mr Titchmarsh is excellent. One cannot help but joining with him in his enthusiasm about all the wonders that God has placed right on our own doorstep
on 18 April 2014
As you would expect from the team behind this series, the filming and editing is of the highest order and the subject matter interesting and , at times, surprising. However, I cannot agree with many of the reviews on here. Alan Titchmarsh is annoying as a natural history presenter. His chummy demeanour lacks authority and the lame script is cringeworthy. There is far too much Alan on show: Alan on a boat; Alan up a hill; Alan underwater. It left me feeling this otherwise excellent series was more of a vanity project than a serious natural history documentary.