5.0 out of 5 stars My Boy Jack
David Haig has written an excellent play. Very moving. It is difficult for us to understand some of the attitudes of that time when, seemingly, the whole of Europe went to war rejoicing. The carnage was immense, the courage endless.

Daniel Radcliffe demonstrated this well with his sensitive portrayal of Jack.

I doubt Jack could have joined as a...
Published on 12 Nov 2007 by Alan Law

2.0 out of 5 stars A Dissenting Voice
Published on 16 Oct 2010 by Markhoni

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A very moving well acted film, 23 Jun 2013
This review is from: My Boy Jack [DVD] (DVD)
The cast made the film very moving. Rudyard Kipling was proved a very strong charecter. Good to see Kiplings house in the story

5.0 out of 5 stars Another young life lost, 15 Mar 2013
Diane Burke (Perth, WA formerly Aberdeen UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Boy Jack [DVD] (DVD)
Rudyard Kipling is best known for his wonderful stories on the Jungle Book. I didn't know much about Rudyard the man. I certainly didn't know he had an American wife! However, David Haig showed his range as an actor in this portrayal of the great author and Daniel Radcliffe was a revelation as the doomed young John Kipling. In fact the main characters were all very well performed including Kim Cattrall in a diversion from the ridiculous "Sex and the City". Just shows what she can do with a decent script.

From our standpoint of almost 100 years since the horrors of the trenches, it is hard to fathom how a father could go to such lengths to offer his son as a human sacrifice for Britain. But we should understand that in 100 years, we think differently and perceive things differently and there's no way I would let my son go so easily to war. But when people thought that the war was a jolly caper and if they didn't go, then they'd miss it because it would all be over by Christmas; it all seems totally ludicrous to our 21st Century thoughts.

It has never been fully known what happened to John Kipling at the bloody Battle of Loos. All we do know is that he was finally drafted as a young Lieutenant in the Irish Guards and led his men bravely into action in 1915 and he disappeared and his body was never found. The theory put forward makes for harrowing viewing. If you haven't seen the film, I won't spoil it!

The movie starts and ends with Kipling having an audience with King George and the sad poem Kipling recites at the end is so touching but a fitting tribute to a father grieving and possibly consumed with guilt at the part he played in sending John to war.

Yes, there could have been a piece about Kipling's work with the War Graves Commission but this film is ostensibly about John Kipling. Daniel Radcliffe takes a brave leap from Harry Potter to play John Kipling but he seems to fit very well into this role. As I have never seen any of the Harry Potter films, I didn't have any trouble in similarities. He was believable and worked well with the lovely Carey Mulligan playing his sister.

It may be rated 15 but I would let my own son watch it as I felt John Kipling's story was for all those young boys who went to war and never came home again.

Another lost soul among so many others.

5.0 out of 5 stars What's on the tin, 13 Feb 2013
Excellent - watched it lots-
Does what it says on the tin
Good service and the fillm's a classic.
Awesome

5.0 out of 5 stars Great No More Harry Potter films, 7 April 2012
This review is from: My Boy Jack [DVD] (DVD)
Rudyard Kipling, quoted in just about every book on the Iraq and Afghanistan wars,does his best to kill Harry Potter.Fantastic!David Haig is superb in this.Just listen to the staggering casualty figures being evaluated and brushed aside like a below par perfomance by the local village cricket team.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Boy Jack, 25 Jan 2011
M. K. McAleer - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Boy Jack [DVD] (DVD)
This is a wonderful film which I have used when teaching about the WW1 poets to pupils aged 14, in England. It clearly reveals the pressure on young men at that time to do their "duty" even when, as in Jack's case, there was a medical reason why he needn't have fought in the war. It also gives an insight into the role of Rudyard Kipling and the part he played in the recruitment drive of the day. Very moving and graphic, without being gory.

4.0 out of 5 stars A different angle on Dickens, 7 Oct 2010
This review is from: My Boy Jack [DVD] (DVD)
This is an excellent film, well cast and well made. If you've got a slightly sentimental view of Kipling, it may give you a bit of a jolt to see him portrayed as a rather bigotted if well meaning man. It is also a reminder of the futility of war. Go and see Batemans (National Trust) if you can before or after you see the film.

4.0 out of 5 stars A touch of history and drama, 11 Dec 2009
This review is from: My Boy Jack [DVD] (DVD)
If you love history then My Boy Jack is for you. It tells the story of Jack Kipling, the only son of Rudyard Kipling, the famous English poet. He was killed in first battle at Loos, France in 1915. It faithfully captures Rudyard pulling strings to get his son into the army but also the grief the family feel at his loss. Rudyard never accepted his son's death until 1922. The drama is played out and the film is quite touching in parts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Amazing A++++++, 17 Nov 2007
Ms. N. Canham "nicolacanham" (orpington, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Boy Jack [DVD] (DVD)
This was easily one of the best thing's I've seen. Daniel Radcliffe was just fantastic as Jack. Obviously he is known for Harry Potter, but when you watch my boy jack you forget about Harry completely as he is so good at adapting to other characters.
I admit I shed a tear at the end as you become so engrossed into the story.
If you haven't seen this yet, I definetly recommend it, Daniel Radcliffe is simply Amazing!!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars A Dissenting Voice, 16 Oct 2010
Markhoni "MH" (Bury, Lancashire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Boy Jack [DVD] (DVD)
A superbly acted and produced drama but, having read a lot about Kipling, including the excellent factual book about the death of John (also called 'My Boy Jack' and written by Tonie and Valmai Holt) ultimately I feel that it distorts the whole point of the real story. Kipling NEVER found out conclusively what happened to John, as he does in the film, despite interviewing dozens of witnesses and in his grief and lack of 'closure' (to use an ugly modern term) he plunged himself into the work of the Imperial (now Commonwealth) War Graves Commmission, and was responsible for much of the famous iconography and symbolism of the Commission's cemeteries and memorials. This includes the wording 'Known Unto God' which Kipling chose for the graves of the thousands of unidentified soldiers , instead of everyone else's 'unknown'. That's what you get when you appoint a genius to do the job instead of a bureaucratic committee. The wording was later adopted by the American Battlefields Commission as well. I thought it a pity that none of this came out in the film at all, particularly as so many people now visit the Commonwealth cemeteries of the two World Wars, in fact far more than ever before. The film also glossed over Kipling's uneasy and complex relationship with his American wife Carrie. However I accept that it was a drama not a documentary and was not too upset by the odd historical gaffe such as Kipling speaking in front of a Kitchener recruitment poster before war was even declared! David Haig was born to play Kipling and in the end I felt sorry that he, who was of course behind the original stage play on which the film was based, was not truer to the real, moving story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kiplings guilt, 11 Nov 2007
Dr. S. Morris "Doc Holliday" (Newcastle, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Boy Jack [DVD] (DVD)
An excellent effort. A bit of 'artistic licence' with the actual death of Jack, the facts of which are still very uncertain, but all-in-all a top notch drama film. Up there with 'All the Kings Men' (David Jason). Kipling spent years after the war searching for the truth, often using all of his contacts and his position within the Imperial War Graves Commission to try to find what had happened. A little bit more at the end alluding to this might have shone even more light on his feelings of guilt. Well done all involved!

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xae9f11ec)

My Boy Jack [DVD]
My Boy Jack [DVD] by Daniel Radcliffe (DVD - 2007)
5.50