5.0 out of 5 stars British Comedy At Its Best
Published on 13 Feb. 2011 by Mora

2.0 out of 5 stars Smile a bit, laugh out loud and weep with empathy.
Discs 1 and 3 were much enjoyed but disc 2 refuses to play beyond the BBC logo. There are so many belly laughs within the content, yes it's silly but it brightens up a winters evening. A shame about disc 2 but I'm sure that Amazon will sort it out.
Published 4 months ago by RPGard

5.0 out of 5 stars British Comedy At Its Best, 13 Feb. 2011
This review is from: The Worst Week Of My Life : Complete BBC Collection [DVD] (DVD)
This is one of the funniest comedy series I've ever watched. It's a classic mix of farce and black comedy and would appeal to a wide range of ages. It's a modern day Fawlty Towers with Ben Miller's performance often showing flashes of brilliance reminiscent of John Cleese's Basil Fawlty. A fine cast, including Alison Steadman, makes this not only funny but brilliantly acted.

I defy anyone not to laugh out loud throughout each episode.

5.0 out of 5 stars Will have you in stitches., 22 Oct. 2011
This boxed set is well worth the money, even if you saw the series the first time round. Every episode is absolutely hilarious: so well scripted and acted. I love the way the themes carry through until they are neatly tied up at the end. Every time I even think about some of the incidents I fall about laughing. I promise you, it'll have you in stitches...

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best DVD Set Of My Life, 3 April 2009
Ian Mcconnell (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
Whilst I fell in love with Sarah Alexander the first time I saw her on television I had not seen one episode of this series until I stumbled on ten minutes of one on a cable TV repeat. I had to buy the DVD and ended up buying this collection from Amazon. It is the best dvd set I have bought. Whilst our hapless hero encounters more ridiculous situations than anyone would in real life, each one is simply a tremendously funny observation of life at its most ridiculous. It is almost 'Frank Spencer' although our hero has a higher intelligence and the humour is less 'slapstick'. I have no doubt that every viewer can identify many if not all characters as 'people they know'. That makes the humour all the more believable.
The casting is wonderful. Ben miller is deservedly flavour of the month; Sarah Alexander is fast becoming, if not there already, one of our best 'sitcom' comedians (certainly the most attractive) and not one member of the cast could be improved on.
I laughed and you will laugh from start to finish. You will predict much of what happens but it will still be extremely funny. This set is thoroughly recommended and will be one of the best buys you will make.

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't remember laughing so hard in recent years, 9 Nov. 2011
Allek (Somerville, MA) - See all my reviews
This show is simply brilliantly written, acted and directed. Its physical humor reminds me of the golden era of slapstick comedies. My stomach still hurts from the non stop laughing. Kudos to the creators!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Worst Week Of My Life, 18 July 2011
This must be almost the funniest series I have ever seen on TV. I rate it just behind Faulty Towers. Every character is in excellent form and the price of under a tenner for two series and the Christmas special is brilliant. When ever life gets you down switch this on and laugh till your sides ache!

5.0 out of 5 stars Third viewing, years later - still brilliant!, 1 Dec. 2012
This is the most rock-solid, reliably funny, endlessly (hugely) entertaining comedy for years. I know exactly what is going to happen next and it still amazes me when it happens. There is nothing better than this, on a long plane journey. Those 1970's Mike Leigh actors know exactly what they're doing.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Worst Week Of my Life, 3 April 2011
Absolutely the best comedy series on BBC I watched, I recommend to everyone, hours and hours of good laughs, tears....
Relax and enjoy in The worst week of Howard Steel! :-))

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the funniest series that I have ever seen., 3 Aug. 2012
Unpredictable, fun and three seasons of hell for our hero. The range of subjects coveres is vast from dogging to covering a dog in concrete. Very slapstick but so well done. I watch it every year or so and it doesn't get tedious.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most hilarious sitcoms in recent memory, 25 Feb. 2015
Amazon Customer (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I used to watch 'The Worst Week Of My Life' weekly on the BBC and thought it was brilliant, ten years later I remembered it quite randomly and decided to buy the boxset to see if it really was as good as I remembered - and my oh my goodness - yes it is! Moreover, I think I'd place it among my favourite comedies in recent memory, and I've seen a lot of sitcoms.

The first series charts the events leading up to the wedding unlucky publishing executive Howard Steel (Ben Stiller) and his fiancée Mel (Sarah Alexander). The situations that Howard finds himself in really are fantastic, I don't want to give a great deal away for those who have never seen an episode, but the biggest obstacle in this way is work mate Cassie (Raquel Cassidy), with whom he had a drunken one-night with two years earlier, and she refuses to accept that he and Mel will be married. Ben Stiller is superb, but I must also single out his father in the show, the accomplished Geoffrey Whitehead, who has very little time for Howard and can't understand why his daughter wishes to marry him, and he is very funny in this role.

By series two the couple are expecting their first child, and Howard is just unable to shake off his demons and his bad luck which comes in freakishly large amounts. The three-part Christmas special, broadcast in 2006, brought an end to the show, and although it was a shame in some respects, I think it was time to pull the plug as there is nothing worse than dragging a once great sitcom down with unnecessary extensions, which was definitely the case with 'My Family' in my opinion.

Ben Stiller is a comedy genius, the writing of 'The Worst Week Of My Life' is fantastic, and if black comedy is your thing - you'll find yourself laughing hysterically at this wonderful comedy show until you're sides begin to hurt. This boxset contains virtually everything, and comes with an excellent price tag, so buy this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comedy, 17 Dec. 2010
Fate can be cruel and vanity can lead to lies and deceit. Combine the two and the consequences can be both disasterous and hilarious.
If you liked Fawlty Towers you'll like this series. The humour is similar as coincidences and cover ups lead to farcial outcomes.
The British cast is superb. Highly recommended.

The Worst Week Of My Life : Complete BBC Collection [DVD]