Format: DVD|Change

Steptoe and Son - 3 words that define what great situation comedy is all about. And here's 3 more words that define great situation comedy - Galton and Simpson. The combination of brilliant writing and acting sets this series apart, and here it all is now - complete in one neat box set. No gimmicks, no extras, just great, timeless comedy.

Steptoe and Son works because underneath the humour are real dilemmas and a sense of tragedy and frustration, played out beautifully by actors not looking for a cheap, instant laugh.

Anyone remotely interested in writing comedy could do worse than invest in this box set, and take note of how perfectly each episode is contructed. For the rest of us - we can simply watch and enjoy; knowing we are unlikely to see such comedy quality again.
77 comments|80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 September 2007
here it is; the best sitcom in history in my opinion. great to see the christmas specials finally released.
witness the unique on-screen chemistry of wilfred brambell and harry h. corbett as they impeccably bring the scripts of ray galton and alan simpson to life.
episodes such as "divided we stand," "the desperate hours," "robbery with violence" and "live now P.A.Y.E later" are classic examples of the programme's legendary status.
this boxset will cost a few quid to be sure, but worth every penny i assure you.
22 comments|66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 21 October 2007
As previously noted this is perhaps Britain's finest comedy, along with The Likely Lads and Porridge there really is nothing to touch them.

I was a little sceptical at first about releasing a boxset of the entire series so soon after the single season discs but there is something rather nice about having the entire show together in one set and I will be buying this for sure despite having the singles, I can always give them to my Nephew.

There really is no point reviewing each season as that has already been done but if you are new to Steptoe then I advise that you buy this set, for one thing it's cheaper than the combined total of the singles and secondly it has a truly lovely cover that will look very nice on the shelf.

Go on! Treat yourself to a comedy show that is not just a classic but is quite simply comedy genius in both acting and writing, and there isn't many of those around.
77 comments|111 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 May 2008
This is simply the best sitcom ever made .I was bought this as a present and must admit it the best thing ive been bought in ages .I havent laughed so much in ages I think the early black and white ones are the best .I would recomend this to anyone even if youve never seen an episode before fantastic....
on 7 March 2009
I bought this dvd box set for my husband who,s a big fan, he loved it, watches it over and over again. Well worth the money. For any steptoe and son fans out there this is a great buy.It contains every single episode, and a couple of christmas specials.
on 16 May 2011
This is an excellent boxed set of a True Classic Comedy, Although picture quality is only average at best and sometimes very poor this is still a great collection of comedy and worth every penny

I only gave this a 4 star due to poor picture quality,

The scripts and the actors performances are of a time and standard that sadly will may never be repeated.

It would be great if this collection was could be restored but would imagine that the comedy would be dubbed/edited to today's political correct standard,-if this was the case I still would rather have this entire collection at a similar cost of a blue ray latest Movie

So grab this collection while you can its a perfect listen if you cant bring yourself away from today HD Standards.
on 5 December 2015
This rating in no way reflects on the undisputed genius of Galton and Simpson. These writers invented the sitcom. They honed their craft on Hancock's Half Hour and perfected it with Steptoe. The programme itself is brilliant, timeless, ahead of its time and beyond any criticism. The reason for my rating is for the poor quality of the DVD set. It is simply not "The Complete Collection" as stated on the box. There are several missing episodes. The picture quality on many of the episodes is shocking and there are several episodes originally broadcast in colour that appear in black and white in the box set. The blame for these faults lies fairly and squarely with the BBC. Back in the 80's I recorded repeats of Steptoe on video tape and have still got episodes on video that are not included in this box set and I have also got episodes in colour that are in black and white in the box set. I can only asume that the BBC either lost or wiped many episodes of Steptoe some time in the 90's and I consider that to be criminal.
on 8 April 2009
I waited with bated breath for my Steptoe And Son Collection to arrive. What a glorious piece of entertainment history. I watched them the first time they were broadcast and time has not dimmed the quality of the humour. Included is the pilot episode " Comedy Playhouse " as it was called at the time. 13 Dvd's, 55 episides plus 2 christmas specials, great value at any price. Series 1 - 6 are black and white but hey thats all most people had in the way of a tv when these were guys were in their hay-days. Series 7 & 8 are in glorious colour as are the 2 christmas specials. Dated they may be but if you want to relax with some time honoured, not too " PC " good old fashioned belly laughing humour this is the stuff for you.
on 5 May 2008
A shame they dont make comedy like this anymore , this is a gem the complete boxset of every episode of this classic comedy .ive had hours of fun watching them all ,the work gone into restoring the lost episodes seies 5 and 6 is brilliant some reviews have said the picture quailty is poor in my opinion i think its great considering the tapes of of this episodes were made on a very primitive recording machine by ray galton , great work by the british film institute for restoring them who cares their in black and white just enjoy . Harry H Corbett and willy brambell are fantasic this is the best sitcom ever and well worth the money thanks to the bbc for a great boxset.
on 18 May 2011
I have collected the steptoe and son videos for many years and thought I had every episode,including the lost steptoes'. I was therefore pleased to find that included in the box set were a few episodes I had never seen,and well worth the price I paid on amazon.Make no mistake this is a complete box set.