5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value
I purchased this on the reviews already here and I have not been disappointed. I love watching anything to do with nature and as we are new to blu ray are very slowly building a collection. This is one of this discs you can definitely watch again and again.

Published on 19 Jun 2008 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Picture variable, narration truly terrible...
Picture quality varies from excellent to rather poor + noisy.
Some interesting stuff about the Galapagos.
What ruined this for me is the truly cringe-worthy narration - full of 'awe' and 'wonder'.
Published on 22 Jun 2009 by G. Tittley

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, 19 Jun 2008
Amazon Customer (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Galapagos [Blu-ray] (2006) [Region Free] (Blu-ray)

Yes there is a small amount of repetition but it does not distract from the overall excellent quality of the content and narration. Also, after ordering this from Amazon I was at a well known store in town the next day and they were selling it for £30.00!

If you love nature programmes then this is a must for your collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning!, 15 April 2008
This review is from: Galapagos [Blu-ray] (2006) [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
This blu-ray disc is simply stunning. It appears more of the footage is in HD than on Planet Earth and it shows. Some of the underwater footage, the resolution and the colour takes your breath away. An absolute bargain for 150 minutes of wonder - well done BBC.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 13 Feb 2012
This review is from: Galapagos [Blu-ray] (2006) [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
I thoroughly enjoyed this 3 part series. The photography is superb. Tilda Swinton's narration is excellent. The dramatisation of some scenes may not be to everyone's taste but I enjoyed it. A must for those interested in the natural history of the Galapagos. At under ten pounds this blu-ray is great value for money. My only regret is that there are no extras.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and Interesting, 13 Dec 2010
This review is from: Galapagos [Blu-ray] (2006) [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
I'm not a massive fan of the BBC Nature productions - often finding some of them a bit long winded. However, I really am pleased I bought this one. The photography is beautiful in HD and shows off the beauty of the islands themselves in spectacular fashion.

I found the commentary pleasant and interesting but I am a fan of Tilda Swinton so it may be a personal thing.

My only frustration with the series is that it is too short. Three episodes really whet my appetite but I would have liked to have seen even more of the islands and to have gone into greater depth. I'm very tempted to buy the accompanying book in the hope that that will give me a bit more.

All in all, a really enjoyable documentary. If you are a nature documentary lover then I see no reason why you would not love this production. And even if you're not, I'd still recommend that you give it a go.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful disk, 31 Jan 2009
This review is from: Galapagos [Blu-ray] (2006) [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
I first saw the Galapagos series on BBC TV and was so impressed that I decided to buy the blu-ray version from Amazon. I have watched it several times and still think it's a wonderful example of how good and informative this type of programme can be. The video and audio are both superb, but unfortunately the sound is stereo only; don't let this put you off though. Tilda Swinton's narration is superb, my wife and I both commented on how much it added to our enjoyment of this disk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good in DVD, STUNNING IN BLU RAY, 19 Mar 2008
E. Duggan (EUROPE) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Galapagos [Blu-ray] (2006) [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
This Blu Ray Disc , yes all the episodes fit on one disc , is Stunning .
Picture , sound and a very nice Narration , thanks Tilda .
My teenage son , stopped what he was up to and watched this series , he couldnt get over the colours and the picture quality .
I will watch this time and again , I hope you enjoy it as much as we have .
if you have any interest at all in the ISLANDS , BUY IT , Good in DVD , STUNNING IN BLU RAY , STUNNING !!!!!!!!!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Stunning photography of a wonderful place, 15 July 2010
LMD (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Galapagos [Blu-ray] (2006) [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
I find nature documentaries to be, by far, the best use of high-definition video. Galapagos is no exception, there's plenty of high-definition footage of one of the most remarkable places on the planet.

The series is curiously written - almost as if it struggles to find a way to cover everything that's so amazing about the Galapagos archipelago. The result is a reasonable amount of overlap which would probably not have been too noticeable if you watched it as a scheduled broadcast over several weeks but if you're watching the episodes in a much shorter time-span, the repetition of photography and, to a lesser extent, the narrative is a bit obvious.

Tilda Swinton's voice is a little under-whelming at times, but she delivers the narrative with good pace and a degree of calmness.

All in all, a great series with fantastic filming and stunning images - a wonderful advert for the tourism industry of Galapagos and a great way to almost experience the wonder of the place without going there and doing any more damage to the fragile ecosystem there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Galapagos, 13 Jun 2010
Mr. P. Poole (Britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Galapagos [Blu-ray] (2006) [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
Having seen some of this on TV I am delighted to get the whole series. Wonderfully filmed in amazing detail it is a must for all nature lovers with really rare footage of many unusual species that inhabit these isolated islands.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super, 30 Nov 2009
This review is from: Galapagos [Blu-ray] (2006) [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
Very good addition to any wildilfe documentary collection.

Great Picture quality and sound.

Covers a lot of material on the Galapos Islands and their natural history.

A mus have for nataural history fans or high quality blu-ray fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly wonderful, 6 April 2009
Dr. J. D. Mitchell "Jon Mitchell" (Plymouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Galapagos [Blu-ray] (2006) [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
We've just watched this having just returned from a life-changing two weeks cruising and visiting these beautiful, humbling islands.

The DVD is amazing with fabulous narration, gorgeous music and breathtaking camera work. Some may think that aspects are over the top and "fairy-tale" like but this is exactly what the islands are like. Yes there is some repetition but some of the points are so central to understanding this unique place that they warrant reinforcement.

Many people have asked us to describe what the Galapagos are REALLY like. Words and photos dont do them justice. This DVD does a pretty good job. Go buy, sit back, marvel and start planning. Brilliant.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Galapagos [Blu-ray] (2006) [Region Free]
Galapagos [Blu-ray] (2006) [Region Free] by Richard Wollocombe (Blu-ray - 2007)