5.0 out of 5 stars Not enough people watch this show.
Published on 6 Oct 2007 by G. Beyer

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Show but no subtitles.
The show is fine, but as seems to be the case with a lot of region 2 DVD's it doesnt have any subtitles, whereas its Region 1 counterpart does. Considering the Region 1 disc came out months before, how hard would it have been to put the same subtitles on this region 2 version? There really is no excuse.
Published on 6 Aug 2008 by The Microcosmic Orbit

5.0 out of 5 stars Not enough people watch this show., 6 Oct 2007
G. Beyer - See all my reviews
This review is from: Friday Night Lights - Season 1 - Complete [DVD] (DVD)
Wow, I'm not a sports enthusiast and just happened to watch a promotional clip on the web. Didn't take me long to check out the show on tv, and I'm forever grateful I did. It's just the best written, most realistic drama out there right now. I have yet to watch an episode that didn't move or satisfy me. I don't care about football, but there's something here for everyone, because this show has intelligence, heart and originality as well as humor. You really get to know these fictional people and you care deeply what happens to them. The truly unique thing is every episode is great, there is never any filler episodes. This show is a gem and I hope more people discover it soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best show in years, 2 Oct 2007
Cav (Christchurch, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Friday Night Lights - Season 1 - Complete [DVD] (DVD)
FNL is one of the best tv series' I've seen. I initially watched it because of the American Football aspect, but my girlfriend who has no interest at all loved the programme too.

It deals with all, and I mean pretty much ALL, of the cliched High School issues. But surprisingly it manages to handle them in an intelligent and unpatronising way.

Chances are that by reading this you've already seen it and know how good FNL is, but if you're thinking about checking it out for the first time, don't wait. It's worthy of all the hype. I can understand ITV sticking it on ITV4, but it had no advertising at all, and for an award-winning series I find that strange.

5.0 out of 5 stars FNL - 1st and Goal....., 22 Aug 2007
G. Nechvatal "Grenecher" (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Friday Night Lights - Season 1 - Complete [DVD] (DVD)
Being a huge american football fan, i was a bit sceptical about a TV series based on the sport, and also it being a spin-off of a film and novel. But i was not dissapointed. It truely is one of the smartest and awe inspiring TV series to date. The actors are brilliant, especially Gaius Charles who plays Smash as well as Taylor Kitsch as Riggins.

The storylines touch on pretty much everything you would expect in a middle america town like Dillon. There is cheating, drug abuse, love affairs, love interests, the list is endless. but every single one is played to perfection.

And last but not least, Explosions in the Sky. They are all over the soundtrack and bring an element that no other music genre could bring to the show. If you like the series and like the music, i strongly suggest to pick up one of their cds and give it a good listen.

I'm looking forward to the release of the DVD and believe that ITV should give the show the respect it deserves and put it on ITV1 rather than ITV4 which is, well, rubbish to be honest.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love One tree hill and the O.C., 20 April 2008
Snikt5 (Bromley, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Friday Night Lights - Season 1 - Complete [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this boxset purely based on others people's recommendations, that if I loved the O.C. etc I would enjoy it. The first couple of episodes were hard to get into. The story was good but the camera work took a lot of getting used to. However, around episode 5 the jerky camera settles down and you become accustomed to the style. Once this happens you realise how into the story you are and just enjoy the ride.

I loved it. It has some great characters and great story lines and even if you know nothing about American football, you will enjoy the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars tv drama at its best, 15 Dec 2007
This review is from: Friday Night Lights - Season 1 - Complete [DVD] (DVD)
Watching Friday Night Lights is a bit like watching a real-life documentary so good is the dialogue and what the viewer gets to see (hand held cameras are used a lot).The characters don't pull any punches when they're talking to one another and you witness the kind of conversations that spring from the real-life hopes and worries and fears of ordinary people.For example a man expressing his concern to his daughter's boyfriend:" If she stays with you,she'll live her life as a carer.You can lead her into hell.Are you going to?" The star of this show is coach Taylor and his family who are the outsiders who have to deal with all the pressure of expectation from the locals in the town of Dillon.I would recommend Friday Night Lights to you even if you are not a sports fan because most of the action in each episode takes place in and around people's homes and not on the football field.There have been programmes on tv that are more light-hearted and fun to watch than this one but I would say that objectively this is the best drama series I have seen in recent years from American tv.It deals with race,religion,disability,infidelity,family life,community life,adolescence,poverty,love,hate,jealousy,bullying,parenthood,school-life and work-life in an intelligent,humane,believable and thoroughly entertaining manner.On the dvd,there is a half hour documentary about how they made Friday Night Lights and the producers have included sections for all the scenes they deleted.These deleted scenes are worth seeing - some good acting in them and also they make you aware of the kind of decisions that are made in deciding which storylines should be emphasised and which should not.Be warned though,you may drive other people mad by going around shouting out the football team's motto "Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Game !, 20 Jun 2009
jason yates (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Friday Night Lights - Season 1 - Complete [DVD] (DVD)
This show is right up there with Battlestar Galactica ,Homicide , The Wire , Angel and Knots Landing in terms of ensemble acting . It just doesnt get any better than this organic show. It has a freshness and energy that is pretty unique , largely because it isnt " blocked " the camera follows the actors who are not told where to stand and how to move on a line .... It's incredibly atmospheric , cinematic in it's location , you cannot beat location filming , much like Homicide Life on the Streets and The Wire capture Baltimore so FNL humms with the undertow of small town Texas .
Always surprising , always exciting , always inspiring ... This is not to be missed.

p.s It's a s much about Football as Dallas is about Oil and Battlestar Galactica is about Space. It's a back drop for a character show. It's all about the people.

5.0 out of 5 stars Underrated tv gold, 3 April 2011
Beanie Luck Spud (Cotswolds) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Friday Night Lights - Season 1 - Complete [DVD] (DVD)
I absolutely love this tv show.

I had bought it when i broke my foot as i was housebound for 11 months in plaster and was going stir crazy and it was on sale for 10 and i thought ok why not.

Yes the premise of this show is about American hig school football, but thats not all that this show is about.

A brief Synopsis - Directed by Peter Berg and starring the phenomenally talented Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton who was in the original movie starring Billy bob Thornton, it focuses on Coach Eric Taylor and his wife Tami who along with daughter Julie move to Dillon Texas to take up a Coaching position with the Dillon Panthers.
Dillon texas as with Texas in general, take their high school foootball very very seriously and its about how all these characters come together with the pressure on being a success every friday night.

This show isnt just about football, it deals with many issues in life and is probably hands down one of the best written television shows i have ever seen.

Unfortunately this show has now been cancelled in America after 5 fantastic seasons and it has spawned a host of new talent including:

Zach Gilford who now stars in Off the Map

Minka Kelly- Parenthood and one of the new Charlies Angels

Adrianne palicki - The new wonder woman

Scott Porter - The good wife and new show Hart of Dixie

Taylor Kitsch - played Gambit in wolverine and is now filing 3 separate movies.

My only gripe is that only the 1st season is available to buy in the uk as i would love to be able to buy the entire 5 season box set

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 15 Jan 2010
David-Anthony Gordon (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Friday Night Lights - Season 1 - Complete [DVD] (DVD)
I love television and this is the best television series I've ever seen. I only began watching during the Christmas holidays and I absolutely loved it. I can directly relate to the problems the characters face and the show doesn't get bogged down in the detail of football. Matt Saracen is my favourite character, quiet, understated and very insecure but all the characters are well written and the actors are given ample opportunity to express themselves. A good example is how Landry Clarke goes from being the supporting character you hardly notice to suddenly becoming a major character towards the end of the season. I love this show and it's such a shame they stopped showing it on British TV.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Show but no subtitles., 6 Aug 2008

4.0 out of 5 stars I might even watch the superbowl, 23 Aug 2008
Su (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Friday Night Lights - Season 1 - Complete [DVD] (DVD)
I'm a rugby league fan from a rugby league town, and when I received this box set I thought what I always did - american football is boring variation of rugby, with forward passes and played by wusses in body armour and helmets.

How wrong I was. I enjoyed the whole thing right from the start. The relationships, the matches, and the acting was believable. I have a growing admiration for the young man who plays Jason Street. And the young man who plays Tim Riggins definitely grew on me.

Well done to all the cast I was enthralled from start to finish. So much so that I might even try watching the Superbowl when it's on - although I'll probably stick with my views of a bad version of rugby with forward passes and wimps in body armour and helmets.

It is the complete first season of 22 episodes on 6 discs and I look forward to the eventual release of the second and third seasons. However the bring down factor once again is the lack of extras - there aren't any - not even subtitles. Hence 4 stars not 5.

Once again Region 2 equals second class dvd viewers.

Friday Night Lights - Season 1 - Complete [DVD]