5.0 out of 5 stars Value For MOney or what?!!
Published on 19 May 2008 by Mr. G. O'doherty

3.0 out of 5 stars Not blown away
Although I am of the sixties generation (born 1948), I have not been 'into' Jeff Beck.
However, recently (2009) I heard some of his playing on the radio and TV, and thought it would be worth listening to.

Published on 18 Dec 2009 by Ivon of Windermere

5.0 out of 5 stars Value For MOney or what?!!, 19 May 2008
This review is from: Blow By Blow/Wired/Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop (Audio CD)
Just to say that I think the previous reviewer made a mistake when rating this album - 5 stars, surely! Talk about value for money! And most definitely worth the dosh. Three great albums, from the sublime Blow By Blow to Guitar Shop via Wired - storming! What I really like about Jeff Beck's playing is that, despite being flash as anything (which, incidentally he carries off superbly), he also can play a ballad, the mark of a great player. 'Cause We've Ended As Lovers is a case in point. There are those who criticise Mr Beck for being too brash but obviously they haven't listened to this, his playing is agonisingly sweet and restrained, as it is on Goodbye Pork Pie Hat. I particularly love the audible amp hum on the latter. If I had to choose, it would be Blow By Blow as I feel that some of the synth sounds on Wired haven't aged too well, but this is carping. The playing is superlative and always chock full of energy - he's even better live. I don't care if he is flash, he carries it off with such aplomb and he always sounds like he's enjoying it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jeff Beck Rocks!, 28 July 2009
This review is from: Blow By Blow/Wired/Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop (Audio CD)
This package is fantastic value for anyone into the guitar virtuoso. The three albums show different styles Jeff Beck adopted at different times in his career and give a great introduction to the range of his skills. Oh yeah, and they are all brilliant!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not blown away, 18 Dec 2009
This review is from: Blow By Blow/Wired/Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop (Audio CD)

Also I have been looking for music available on SACD and Blow by Blow has been issued in this format. The SACD version is no longer available new, so I opted for this three pack CD.

Having listened to all three CD's a few times my verdict on Jeff Beck is as follows: while he is obviously an excellent player technically, for some reason I do not find his playing exciting (as for example most Hendrix and some Clapton). I am not 'blown away' by any of the tracks, and though I am happy to listen to them I have not found myself returning to them and being remembering them at any time.

I do like Jazz and it seems to me that Beck could arguably be categorized as a Jazz player, particularly as it seems most of his music is without vocals - a feature like.

I dithered between giving a four star or three star mark. I thought I might give 4 based on the fact the 3 CD box was very good value for money when I bought it (mid 2009), but now (Dec 2009) it is only available used or as over 15 as a MP3 download it is no longer a bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blow me!!, 27 Oct 2013
I have loved this album (Blow By Blow) since I was a teenager and now having a great time revisiting it on cloud player. Its a beautifully played and atmospheric set of tracks that doesn't take itself too seriously, particularly "constipated duck" with tongue planted firmly in cheek. Great strings arrangements on a couple of the songs that left me breathless with joy. A beautiful rendition of Lennon and McCartneys "She's a woman", (I love the voicebox on this) and the classic "Freeway Jam" always gets stuck in my head (whichever version I hear). Some would say it's an album of its time and I would mostly agree but I think it has stood the test of time and is probably an influential album even today. As a drummer I have to mention Richard Bailey, some utterly brilliant and tasteful drumming. This album is of course a must for Jeff Beck fans but will also impress lovers of things fusion, funk, jazz rock and purely brilliant guitar playing. If you don't like this album after three proper listens, then you're looking dead from the ears up.......... or six years old........or both!
-RW-

5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Becks, 3 April 2009
Kevin Lamb "apache" (Kingswinford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blow By Blow/Wired/Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop (Audio CD)
This box set is a must for every discerning Jeff Beck fan, and excellent value for money to boot!!! Beckrocks !!!!!!!!!!