5.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the negative hype
Published on 6 Oct 2007 by Ric

3.0 out of 5 stars quite good
good film sometimes jumps but it is good overall I would recommend it to anyone who wants to get a quite good film for a good price
Published 19 months ago by Christiana

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the negative hype, 6 Oct 2007
This review is from: The IT Crowd - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Firstly, I just wanted to say that I can't believe the negative reviews on this site (at the time of writing) - it's like I've been watching a different series judging from some of the reviewers comments featured here. The bottom line is, that the first series was a real gem, and so is this second series. So don't let any of the negative reviews put you off from ordering this - as you will be seriously missing out.

In this second series we get introduced to a new character called Douglas played by Matt Berry, who's the new boss and the son of the deceased boss - Denholm Reynholm (Chris Morris). He first appears when he makes a truly manic entrance by bursting inside the church and shouting out at the top of his voice "Father!" This character comes out with some killer lines, such as: "First it's the Ordinary Boys and now this! - I can't keep up" (referring to Roy wearing lipstick), plus "Pucker up boys - it's Hammer time!" (after having been forced to take the Rohypnol laced cup of tea) and "Who's that hoochie choochie mama?" (lusting over poor old Jen) etc.

But obviously this series wouldn't be anything without the three main characters in the IT basement - Roy (Chris O'Dowd), Moss (Richard Ayoade) and Jen (Katherine Parkinson). And I must apologise for not having much to say about these charming loveable characters, but this is only because in the reviews for the first series I feel that everything has already been said about them - including all of their idiosyncrasies. Mind you, I did love Richmond's chat up line, which was something like - "I can see the shape of your skull" (Noel Fielding).

Well done Graham Lineham on a great successful second series. I hope you win awards for it - because its silliness really charms me. So if you're into German cannibals, surreal dinner parties, exploding bras and manic bosses etc, then this maybe the one for you. Still, that's enough jibber jabber from me, and anyway I've got to go, because "there's somebody at the door!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Nerds rule...UK, 11 Jun 2008
This review is from: The IT Crowd - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Don't usually bother writing reviews - more than happy just to read them usually.

However... First episode of the second series was one of the funniest 30 minutes of my life - where two computer nerds somehow find themselves at the theatre watching the gayest of gay musicals only for one to end up being mistaken for a disabled guy and the other to find himself working as a bartender. Has to be seen to be believed. The rest of the series was good but oh my god... that first one - genius.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ha! Memory IS RAM!!!, 27 Sep 2007
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The IT Crowd - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Series 2 didn't seem as strong as the first one. It's a strange one this - I'd normally have given this 3 stars, but I'm so attached to the characters, and loved some of the surreal moments that I've given this 4.

The first episode was actually fantastic, and I felt it was the strongest episode across both series - if the series had continued at this pace then it would have been an absolute corker.

But, as I said - some of the episodes feel quite weak, but there's always a good `Moss moment' or some amazing surreal thing happening to make you love what's going on - for example - Richmond hiding from Jen by clinging to the ceiling - I've seen that scene several times over and it still makes me cackle like a hoarse witch!

I knew that Chris Morris was leaving in series 2, but I'm glad that he didn't simply disappear. The second episode of this series shows Denholm Reynholm's untimely exit, and it was done in true eccentric style!

One thing which is apparent in this series, is how Graham Lineham has worked to develop the characters outside of the workplace, from the first episode we see them at the theatre, we see them at a funeral, and a cannibalistic German's house - not always in the basement office!

Graham said during the commentary on Series one that he wanted to do more with Jen at her house so that it seemed to reflect her more than the one scene there in the first series. Jen is probably the most developed character in the second series and it adds to the warmth you feel for her. Same goes for Roy, he becomes more third-dimensional as a character. Moss also comes on a bit - but remains pretty much the Moss we know and love! Whenever I watch the IT Crowd I receive `Moss-isms' via text message from people who are also watching it ("..and I'm loving it", "..that's the LOWEST setting...", etc!).

There's less obvious geeky comedy in this - but it is still there in the background, as posters, stickers, and T shirts. :-)

As I said, this isn't the best comedy, but it's quirkiness and charm should win you over - especially if you've already grown to love the characters by watching the first series.

5.0 out of 5 stars RAMtastic, 20 Sep 2009
SilentSinger (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The IT Crowd - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Although I enjoyed both series 1 and 2 when they were first broadcast on Channel 4 I don't think I've really appreciated the slick humour until I saw them both on DVD. Series 2 carries on from series 1 in so far as our three IT bods Roy, Moss and Jen are still working in the basement of Reynholm Industries and are still answering the telephone with the line 'have you tried turning it off and on again!' but the majority of episodes in this series are based outside the office. Boss Denholm Reynholm decides to make a dramatic exit and his space is filled by his sexually charged estranged son, Douglas.

The episodes which really stand out in my mind are the 'Work Outing' where they go to see a contraversial musical which causes a farcical chain of events to occur and 'The Dinner Party' which has some fabulous Moss moments and the added bonus of Jen's unfortunately named boyfriend. It's definately worth a watch if you like bizarre and surreal humour and I'm very excited about the prospect of a 4th series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!, 17 Feb 2009
Amy Coughlan "AmydouK" (Dorset,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The IT Crowd - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I love the IT Crowd, the first series was hilarious, and this one is even better! A must buy for all IT Crowd fans! Can't wait to get series 3!

4.0 out of 5 stars Better on a second viewing!, 10 Oct 2007
P. Burgham "Pedros" (Chester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The IT Crowd - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I really enjoyed the first series of this show and have watched the DVD a number of times so was really looking forward to the second series when I heard there was going to be one. The first time I watched on the original run I didn't warm to the new boss and thought some of the episodes were stronger than others. But on second viewing from buying the DVD I really enojyed it and think it's up there with the first series.

Moss is a fantastic character although he is a little nerdy with his Hi-Tec silver shadows and stylish shirt he is fantastic! Roy again is a great character as he gets things wrong in almost every situation. As i mentioned earlier i didn't like the new boss Douglas (probably because I loved Chris Morris as Denholm so much) but on second viewing I got what it was all about. I do like Jen much more in the second series as she did get a bit irritating in some episodes in that series.

Anyway, there are some amazing episodes here! The episode where Moss goes on dragons den with his Abracada-Bra is genius. Other highlights are the dinner party episode which Jen has a dinner party with her new bloke (Peter whose surname File creates some great jokes!) unfortunatley for her she ends up having to invite Moss, Roy and Richmond as her male friends. Another of my favourite moments is the episode where Moss gets involved with a German cannibal.

Do be wary of the DVD in some respects I have had to take it back twice because all episodes played apart from the dragons den episode. It was very random as everything else worked fine. The extras as with the first series are fantastically introduced with funny computer style animations including an IT crowd version of lemmings.

I certainly think that this is worthy of a 3rd series as like other channel 4 shows like peep show its different and maintains its quality!

5.0 out of 5 stars No more DVD problems!, 26 Oct 2007
This review is from: The IT Crowd - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Graham Linehan here, writer of 'The It Crowd'. I just wanted to assure everyone that the DVD problems mentioned by some reviewers here have been fixed. We had a technical report back recently which says that there are no longer any compatibility issues and it plays on all players. They are running off new stock now and it will be ready by 31st Oct. If you want to be really safe, don't put your orders in until then.
In the meantime, however, if you do have one of the afflicted DVDs, please bear in mind this very simple fix. Using your remote control, turn the subtitles on, then off again. After that, it should play normally. THIS IS NOT A GAG. It really does work.

Thank you and I hope you enjoy the show!

Five stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars hilarious, 6 Jan 2010
Mr. P. Edwards "Phil_E" (England, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The IT Crowd - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
loved the it crowd. the second series improves on the first. matt berry's new character is hilarious, makes the series better than ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Be wary of dodgy copy!, 10 July 2009
This review is from: The IT Crowd - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
5 stars for the quality of the programme.

BUT...

I have ordered three of these and they all had the same problem.
The episodes skipped and stopped every now and again. Check the DVD as soon as you get it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly hilarious, 22 Oct 2007
Leigh Young (Oakville, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The IT Crowd - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I chose to review Series 2 of The It Crowd for the single reason of Matt Berry. He deserves an award for just being Matt Berry. That voice, that inflection, that genius way of pointing!

I own both series having imported them to Canada. I would update them to my own format if I could I love this show so much. I've even gotten others addicted to it. My fingers and toes are crossed so a third series will be made. I've played catch up with this show so series 1 and 2 were seen almost back to back. Waiting for a third will be hard, but I know it will be worth the wait.

I knew Ayoade from Darkplace, Man to Man and his minute appearances in The Mighty Boosh and he does such a wonderful job of creating one of the most adorable nerds I've seen. He does this shifty thing with his eyes that cracks me up every time.

Ever notice that three of Linehan's shows all have two men and a woman in the main cast?

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The IT Crowd - Series 2 [DVD]
The IT Crowd - Series 2 [DVD] by Richard Ayoade (DVD - 2007)
3.42