5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera / lens
This is my first "proper" dSLR. After owning a nice Canon film EOS, I bought a small Canon p&s (point and shoot) which is also a great little camera.
I bought this camera rather than the 400D because
1) it's a bigger and much sturdier body being crafted from metals rather than plastic. Now some might prefer the lighter 400d but for me the larger 40d is just...
Published on 10 Mar. 2008 by paul

3.0 out of 5 stars Happy for the most part!
I purchased the Canon around October 2008 and had a lot of fun taking some of my best shots to date. Around a month ago, I noticed on every image with an aperture of about f.16 or smaller, there was a large cluster of flakes on the bottom left of the image.

I tried the sensor cleaning mode, I purchased expensive swab kits but to no avail.

The dust...
Published on 24 May 2009 by Mr. R. D. Collins

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive performance, 11 May 2009
This review is from: Canon EOS 40D Digital SLR Camera (incl. EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens Kit) (Electronics)
Having stuck with conventional photography for many years I decided to move on to digital recently and opted for the 40D. I was forced, rather against my will, to get the 17-85mm lens since all my existing lenses (ranging from 28-300mm) were not wide enough given the 1.6x modifier of the physically small digital sensor in this camera. All in all I find the camera great to use. The autofocus is a little slow in comparison to my old EOS1N but acceptable for most conditions (it worsens significantly in dark conditions). Exposure is accurate and easily adjustable. Features are very good and easy to access and the whole system is very intuitive. Of particular note is the B&W mode which provides good B&W images with good contrast rather than the washed out grays you get from many digital cameras.

2.0 out of 5 stars good camera, bit heavy and shutter problem error 99, 12 Feb. 2009
It is a good camera overall, though a bit heavy. Overall I was satisfied but 7 months after I purchased it stopped working. Whenever I pressed the shutter button: the shutter opened but stayed open for very long, no image was recorded and the error 99 code came on "shooting is not possible, turn the power switch to <OFF> and <ON> again or re-install the battery". Neither turning the power nor changing the battery (or the card or the lens)made any difference. Eventually the camera was repaired under the warranty (shutter unit replaced) at no charge but I was left without my onlr SLR for almost 4 weeks. I suppose any camera can break down and it is the frequency of the break-downs or faults which matters. Still I will not score more than 2 stars as - in my own limited experience - this camera let me down.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a Canon - enough said, 25 Nov. 2010
Mr. P. HAIGH (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I bought an EOS 40D when the opportunity to get one relatively cheaply presented itself. I'd previously owned a Canon EOS 300D for a few years and found it to be a good DSLR but the sport mode was lacking, just 2.5 frames per second for six seconds. I used this function at airshows and motor racing events, and eventually became frustrated with this limitation.

The 40D has all of the convenience features of the 300D - full auto, sport mode, portrait... - but uses a superior (faster) processing engine and has a larger sensor - 10 megapixels instead of 6.3 megapixels. For me the killer feature is, unsurprisingly, sport mode, which can sustain 6.5 frames per second for 75 shots (11.5s) at maximum resolution.

As with the 300D the stock lens is superb - 17-85mm with excellent quality. I've been using my older Canon EF 75-300mm Lens with this camera body as well with no problems but have decided it is time to move up to a proper EF lens - most likely the Canon EF 100-400mm. I've also been using the Canon Speedlite 430EX II indoors with great results.

My one criticism of the 40D is that the viewfinder field of view is smaller than that seen by the CCD through the stock lens, so it is difficult to work out if, when trying to fit a big subject in, you have inadvertently cut bits off - until after the shot. Not a problem in a composed picture but definitely a problem when taking action photos.

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY nice., 28 Jun. 2013
Have had Canon SLRs for a long time, since the film days. Yes..there was a time when film was used!

Nice design. Reasonably fast shutter autoshoot. Accurate sharp photos.

I prefer this unit to the new 50D's etc. particularly as i have no need for 1080p video shooting.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon EOS 40D, 6 Jun. 2010
Philip Turner (London,England) - See all my reviews
Only just purchased but results so far are as good as expected. Very good camera for my purposes which include taking quality photos of my paintings for my web site, promotion etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars a big shot!, 3 Aug. 2009
I bought this product on the recommendation of a local camera store but through Amazon to save money - brilliant product and really happy with the photos this camera can take. I had upgraded from a Fuji Finepix that was starting to annoy me with its slow start up and the way it would eat batteries. Now such worries with this camera - the speed and monitoring are exceptionally quick especially as I like to take photos of sports and it was great to take away on my honeymoon where we used it for photos of beautiful clarity for landscapes and wildlife. It is quite a heavy piece of kit but that is my preference as it needs to be robust. I have annoyingly managed to scratch the screen having left it in a golf buggy whilst driving along - must get in contact with Canon to find out if that can be repaired! I have not branched out beyond the lens that came with the camera as yet, it is amazingly adept at taking shots anyway so have not really had the need. Battery life is superb - lasted 2 weeks of the honeymoon and over 400 photos so can't complain! Brilliant piece of kit and well done Canon - you pay for what you get~!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 7 Feb. 2009
Leighton - See all my reviews
This product is fantastic. It offers a huge selection of options and is very user friendly! If your considering this as a first proper camera then go for it, you will not regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A LOVELY CAMERA, 10 Jun. 2009
N. Ellis (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
i bought this camera/lens kit in december and as a first DSLR was blown away from the quality of the photos,easy to use feels fantastic in the hand and a really nice well built kit lens with it (17-85mm)after a fair bit of use (end of may-5 months) i found out the pop-up flash would not work so after looking on web sites about this problem i contacted amazon they sent a replacement out within a couple of days with new lens included! and i sent other camera and lens back to amazon so thank you amazon(they are very good with after sales!)the new camera is so far fab like the first one don't let this put you of this camera is 100% quality i would love a full frame EOS but for now i'm more than happy with the EOS 40d,i have just bought a tamron 18-270mm lens for it which is another very nice lens for this camera recommended 100%!

5.0 out of 5 stars Missing lens kit instructions?, 4 Sept. 2008
flyinghyphen "flyinghyphen" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Some cameras have no instructions manual for the lens kit. Canon have advised: "If the client contacts Robert Scott Associates on 01869 331 741 they will be able to confirm and assist with the enquiry regarding instructions for the lens kit."

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Camera, good seller, 3 Mar. 2009
Purchased my first SLR camera and I am very happy with it. It does everything I ever needed and some more, which I have to learn. I had no experience with the cheaper models but I don't regret jumping over older versions straight to the prof camera. Lenses are brilliant for basics, will go for 200 or even 300 in the future. Item was delivered on time with no damages. Love it!