Format: Audio CD|Change

Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was a bit underwhelmed by this album when I first listened to it. I thought it was a bit overproduced and maybe even a bit bland. Bland is a very subjective term though isn't it? I doubt the thousands of people that funded this release through the Sellaband website, or the scores of people on these very pages that clearly love this album would ever call it bland. With that in mind, I listened to it again, and again, and eventually everything began to make sense. It's not bland. It's warm, sincere and really quite lovely.

As to what it sounds like, the one band that kept coming to mind was Sugar Ray and there hit Every Morning. On the hip-hop tinged Wise Words, there's hints of Manu Chao and strangely enough there are chiming Colplay guitars and piano pretty much all over the place. It seldom works better than on the anthemic Lights Fade, but it's perhaps surprising that it works at all. There in lies the clever thing about this album. Although it doesn't sound particularly original, it's full of moments that you don't expect, and combinations of styles that you wouldn't expect to work together that do. Take probably one of the finest moments on the album. For two minutes and fifty second My World is quite a pretty unasuming acoustic ballad, and then it launches into something that sounds like Glorious by Andreas Johnson. The big guitars come in, the vocals become processed and it all gets a little too much for the hairs on the back of your neck.

In January, this album makes a rainy drive to work almost bearable. I reckon when the sun comes out, I might even look forward to it.
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a pleasant CD with pleasant songs. The ideas are derived from many sources - much sounds familiar. One sound that keeps hitting me is John Meyer. That's no bad thing - I like John Meyer's stuff. I like some of the bass parts which are economic, laid back and smooth. I think that's one main problem with the CD it lacks dynamics.
VINE VOICEon 27 January 2008
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I would not have usually taken a singer called Cubworld seriously, but having initially been introduced to the music through my local radio station I realised that it was less cute and cuddly than the name suggested. It is nothing particularly talented, new or ground breaking, just a collection of nice, easy listening tunes. "Nice" is the apt word here. The lyrics are often clichéd and predictable. Amusingly I was able to complete sentences on the first listen, and now after quite a few listens I find this rather annoying. He has experimented with a variety of styles, but not too successfully in my opinion. His voice is good, but not great. In places it is a little Robbie Williams, without the range or maturity.

Broken down...
Rocked Out 7/10, Amsterdam 9/10 (best on the album!), For Love 7/10, Lights Fade 7/10, Wise Words 4/10, You Make Me Feel 6/10, Start Over 5/10, This Is Life 8/10, My World 2/10 (just too many clichés), Who I Am 8/10.

I would certainly recommend Amsterdam which is likely to be a hit, but could take or leave the others.
VINE VOICEon 23 March 2008
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
In lots of ways this is a really well written and well produced album. There are moments that sound a little bit like Coldplay, as referenced in other reviews, but overall it reminded me of a slightly less edgy version of Crowded House. The problem I found is that none of it really stands out. There's nothing to object to, it's far from rubbish, but by the same score there was nothing that really grabbed me either.

I've listened to the cd a few times in the car and it certainly beats the dross that comes through on the radio. So it deserves to do better than a lot of stuff being put out. But it seems more like decent background music than anything else. I don't know, if you like Coldplay (I think they're also a little bit bland) you'll probably love it. Four stars for the overall quality, which never dips, but just not quite enough to really interest me.
VINE VOICEon 18 April 2008
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've waited a while before reviewing this CD as I had never heard of the artist before and wanted to give it a fair chance after a few listens.

To be fair, my initial reaction to the album was "not bad". There are a couple of tracks (Rocked Out, You Make Me Feel) that you find yourself getting into. For the most part though when listening to the album again, it doesn't "Make Me Feel" much.

The album is fine for background music, but otherwise I personally find it too bland. The songs themselves are not bad, in fact for the most part they are okay tunes, I just find that the songs lack any sense of passion - the relaxed singing style doesn't work for me.

With a little more feeling and "oomph" that would make you truly believe in what the artist was singing, this could have been a great album. Instead, I just find myself wanting more.
VINE VOICEon 5 February 2008
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is not an album of stand out tracks, but yet when I slipped it into the car and listened on a long journey home my wife and I looked at each other and said, "That's good".

The first half of the album is definitely better than the last half - things take a bit of a nosedive with the rap in Wise Words - it jars with the rest of the mellow gentle groove of the album.

After that the songs seem to be a little more generic pop, similar to other bands like Coldplay or Snow Patrol, but still not bad. Easy to listen to, but not stand out.

That said, the first four songs are very good - he has a great voice, the music is great. These were the tracks that made us stop and pay attention the first time we listened.

Looking forward to another album where he perhaps settles into his own style.
VINE VOICEon 11 February 2008
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I wasn't really sure how to rate this. Doing the reviews for Amazon Vine makes me feel I should be saying more than just whether and why I like something or not.

And I don't really like it, to be honest, in the same way that I don't like Coldplay. This is clearly a well written, well crafted and well recorded album (like Coldplay) and if you like bands of that genre with a good dose of singer songwriter thrown in, I think that you'll love this.

For me, it sounds like background music: nothing to grip on to lyrically, sonically or melodically. The kind of album I'd play when driving and suddenly remember after a while that there was something I was listening to, or supposed to be.

Bottom line, this is MOR and if you like that, read my 3 stars as 5.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 18 February 2008
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Here we go again, another Jack Johnson, this time with a few more instruments and even worse lyrics... I don't think that's being too harsh. I'm afraid this has all been done before, far too often. It's not interesting any more. At one point things do change, but only on track 5 when Cub decides he's going to assume the unmistakable snarl of Anthony Kiedis. The lyrics are obvious, laboured and clunky and sometimes unintentionally laughable. "Step Lightly Create Out Loud", the only problem with creating out loud is what I was told when I was younger: if you've got nothing worth saying don't say anything at all.

Of course, if you just want something that's pleasant and easy to listen to, then maybe this is for you!
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a pleasant album with a sound that is unique to Cubworld but reminiscent of a number of other bands, not a bad thing. Financed by members of the public through a record company Sell a band this is probably the best way for bands to finance releases and get noticed.

To the Music the sound is fairly standard guitar, piano, drums and vocal quartet. On first listen I pulled out my highlight tracks:
'Lights fade' with an intro which would not be out of place on a 'Coldplay' album.
'For love' pleasant Piano ballad
'You make me feel' which has a nice Caribbean feel to it.
'Start Over' great song.
All of these though reminiscent of other styles are uniquely coherent to the Cubworld sound.
VINE VOICEon 9 March 2008
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A good mix of styles, competently delivered; the majority of tracks are good, open-strumming acoustic light rock, and there are plenty of tracks which sound like other bands might've if they'd left their bedrooms and got out into the sun for a bit. "Lights Fade" could have been written by The Verve on a nice summer day when they'd just been paid. "Wise Words", by far the best track on the album, is bouncy and has a hint of Fun Loving Criminals, without the mock-seriousness. The rest of the album is quite Jack Johnson-esque, which is OK, mellow, stuff.

In summary, it's not edgy, but it is bitter-sweet optimistic and stands above its peers in that genre for having a bit of depth to it.