5.0 out of 5 stars Works Well
Published on 13 Jan 2008 by Samsonite

2.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable but fast
Published on 28 Dec 2008 by Mr. Philip Caterer

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Well, 13 Jan 2008
This review is from: Michelin Hi-Power Tyre Inflator and Detachable Digital Gauge (Automotive)
There is no problem with having to measure the pressure using the detachable gauge. If you leave the gauge attached and connect the hose (which screws onto the valve instead of those stupid clamps), you can see the pressure of your tyres by pressing the button on the guage. If you need to pump the tyre up, hit the "on" switch. If the tyre is over-inflated (quite common when having new tyres fitted), press the release valve (a great feature) to bring the pressure down.

The quietest and most robust pump I've used. It's easy to pack away too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality control suspect, 8 Nov 2009
Mr. P. Tonge (Newbury, UK) - See all my reviews
This has the potential to be a good product. However when I first received it I found that when I switched on the compressor the display on the pressure gauge would start flickering, and reset itself back to "0 psi" from time to time. If this happened I would have to take the valve off the tyre, disconnect power and start again. This problem has been mentioned by other reviewers. I decided to open up the pressure gauge and see if I could find the problem. I found that one of the components on the PCB (transistor Q1) had been placed in the board but never soldered in. Once I corrected this the unit has been working perfectly. I'm pretty surprised this would have got through any kind of quality inspection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Saves going to the garage, 4 Feb 2009
Quick delivery and well packed. Solid pump with good instructions. Nice screw seal to tyre valve - much better then the usual clip-on. The only problem I have is that when inflating the tyre the gauge reading keeps changing. You have to stop inflating to get accurate reading on the guage. Not much of a problem though. Digital meter detaches from the pump easily if you just want to check tyre pressures

2.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable but fast, 28 Dec 2008
I am now on my second one of these and when they work they inflate fast and the digital gague makes life really easy. Simply tap in the pressure you want the tyre to be, press the on switch and it does it for you. The downside is that they go wrong. The first one broke within a week with the compressor refusing to turn on hence it would not inflate the tyres. The second one worked for two months and now this one refuses to turn on even though it still reads the tyre pressure. Unreliable in my view so choose another one instead.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hopeless gauge - good pump, 2 Dec 2011
Hugely disappointing. The inflator is a good size and can obviously pump air at a decent rate, but why they tried to make the digital guage detachable I have no idea. Most of the time it reads zero, other times I have had readings of between 10lb and 55lb for a tyre that was actually 29lb. And the readout only seems to work in steps of 5lb and as air is going in this increases by 5lb about every 5 seconds. In no time at all it said I had a pressure of 110lb when in fact the tyre pressure was 33lb. And some reviews (not here) suggest that you can set a reading and it will stop pumping at the right pressure - even if it knew the right pressure you are not able to set it like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it, 19 Jun 2008
This is my third inflator & the only one i would recommend, the one i have works well & is accurate when i checked using a different gauge. It also was great when i got a puncture as it filled it up quick enough for me to then drive it the 1 1/2 miles to the nearest garage!

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless, 13 May 2011
Waste of money, lasted just over 12 months now it wont inflate above 30 psi, won't reset, can't set pre-set pressures
Don't but it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Over complicated, 30 May 2009
J. Davis (Essex. UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this product as the name Michelin to me means they should know something about tyres. When I tried to use it,I found the gauge offered three different forms of pressure measurement, and I thought that if I selected PSI that would be the reading I would get. However, when I tried to use it the meter showed "0.00" then "28.88" then "14" and so on whilst the pump was doing an impression of someone shaking a can of nails. After about five minutes I took a reading of my tyre using a manual tyre gauge only to find the pressure had not changed from when I started. So back to the instructions to find out what I had done wrong and followed the instructions explicitedly. The same thing happened. So in frustration I decided that I would return the item, fotunately I had purchased this from Amazon and the return procedure was simple and faultless. If only the pump was half as good. I have reverted back to my trusty old foot pump which is simple and effective. Perhaps I was just unlucky.

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless!, 20 May 2008
Correctly inflated tyres are essential for safe motoring.
This device is innccurate, both under and over inflating tyres when working properly. A separate accurate tyre gauge is essential when using this product. Thankfully mine has now failed (shows a reading of 120 psi no matter what the actual tyre pressure - thereby won't automatically inflate) after 2 years use. Avoid this over-priced item!

3.0 out of 5 stars MANY PEOPLE MIGHT HAVE GOT THE WRONG IDEA ABOUT THIS PRODUCT, 13 May 2011
Roger (Solihull, UK) - See all my reviews
IT'S VERY GOOD - ALTHOUGH I GAVE IT ONE STAR INITIALLY.

Read my original review below, but I've revised my opinion because my problems were caused by dead batteries in the readout unit. After yesterday's frustration I checked my batteries, and they were low.

I've replaced them and the unit is working perfectly!!!

There is a note in the troubleshooting part of the user guide. It says that random readings can be caused by low batteries in the readout unit. Perhaps the only fault is that this ought to be in capital letters on the first page of the guide...

ORIGINAL REVIEW
===============

I check my tyres about 4 times a year.

I had two Halford pumps which lasted about 18 months each before they stopped working. So they cost me about 4 each time I checked my tyres.

The Michelin one is still going strong after at least 2 years.

It was great for a year, then started to give zero readings, and random readings.

But I'm still using it, and have just done my tyres. It took me about 45 minutes to do my car. Zero readings, random readings, checking each tyre 3-4 times in random sequence. I now think that they are at the correct pressures, but I'm not sure. I'm going out to buy a non-electronic guage to do the checks with in future.

Manufacturers don't seem to have cracked this technology. I guess I'll go back to using the pumps at filling station when this one finally fails. 20p a go.