Format: Audio CD|Change

on 3 October 2007
well,its hard to believe this is angelas fourth album as vocalist,doesnt time fly,who can forget the first time we heard her on the album 'wages of sin',it took some convincing for me to believe that the singer was a woman,well we are all over that now and she is now a member like any other.
The last arch enemy album 'doomsday machine' was killer and filler all thrown together,some really dull and numb tracks along with some belters but it just wasnt arch enemy,i am pleased to now say that 'rise of the tyrant' is the return to form i craved,they have delivered.
Now before we get carried away,this isnt an out and out masterpiece,worthy of five stars and praise flying all over the shop,its a very accomplished album,that knows what it wants and gives it all to get it.
The first thing i noticed when opening track whips in,is that angelas vocals are less studio effected,this is a more real sounding scream,more raw,but maybe even better for it.
The album is played at a fast pace and seldon lets up,the songs are as you would expect,full of melodic death metal riffing and fierce drumming although maybe not a s much double kick drumming as before.
The albums best tracks include 'blood on your hands',' i will live again','the day you died''the great darkness' which uses choir like chants,cracking,and album closer 'vultures' which is somewht epic and very effective.
Tracks like 'night falls fast' and intermezzo liberte' (instrumental) dont do the album any real favours but largely this is a fine kettle of songs,better!
on 7 November 2009
If your an Arch Enemy fan or just a heavy metal in general and you don't own this album your missing out. It's awsome. I would say Gossow has the voice of an angel but what angel can roar like this? There isn't a single boring track and nothing I would consider "filler", overall Rise of the Tyrant is a must have.
on 29 June 2009
I didn't really enjoy this album much when I first listened to it. I'm a big fan of Johan Liiva and always thought he had a better vocal range than Angela - however, after a couple of months sticking this one in the CD player every now and then, it's really begun to grow on me. It's something about the melodic choruses and solos that get me on this album. Whilst the soloing isn't exactly the best the Amotts can muster, they are certainly well played and there are some belting tracks in there.

I'd say give this a few listens first and pick it up if you like what you hear, I'd probably rate it alongside Burning Bridges, I think it's pretty damn good despite some not so good reviews.
on 24 February 2010
This is an amazing album that just flows brilliantly from song to song. Definitely something you'll want to listen to in it's entirety. I've lost count at the number of times I've listened to this at the gym - just such amazing energy in every song that pushes you on further. Not to mention some class lyrics. Arch Enemy are one of the main reasons that I listen to any form of death metal and this is, without a doubt, their best album so far.
on 7 December 2007
I am bothering to write this mostly because the second guy above gave the album such a bad and in my opinion unfair review. The first review is more accurate.

Maybe this album does not represent anything new or original but what it does represent is a balls out metal album.

If you love heavy metal music you will love this.
on 17 April 2015
This is the vinyl version of the album and it includes a stripped down version of the CD that is housed in a paper sleeve with a circular plastic window in it. The cover artwork is different to the normal CD version which looks great and is predominantly white instead of red. I have been buying records from Century Media since 1989 and have yet to be disappointed by the quality of the covers or pressings. Great care has been taken by Century Media in delivering a vinyl version of this album that is beautiful to look at and wonderful to listen to. If like me you obsessively collect Vinyl, CD and DVD formats of you favourite bands then you absolutely need this version of "Rise of the Tyrant" but you need to snap it up quickly as it won't stick around for long. This vinyl with the free CD version is worth every penny and any self respecting Arch Enemy audiophile owes it to themselves to buy this wonderful package.
on 8 December 2012
TRACKS 1,5,6,7 ARE MY FAV'S THE REST SEEM TO WASH OVER ME,IT'S NOT A POOR ALBUM BUT THERE SEEMS TO BE THAT SOMETHING THAT MAKES IT A GOOD ALBUM FOR ME MISSING.LIKE I HAVE SAID PREVIOUS THERE ARE 4 GOOD TRACKS ON THE ALBUM THE REMAINDER AVERAGE.
on 25 June 2015