5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas just isn't Christmas without Nat.
The older you get, the more you appreciate good music just for good music’s sake. For me (at a mere 33) the days where I cared about what people thought about the music I listened to have long gone. Which is great as it means I can admit that I not only like Nat King Cole, I think he’s without doubt the most gifted singer that ever lived.
His effortless...
Published on 3 Dec 2005 by Mr. K. Lunam-cowan

1.0 out of 5 stars Not up to his usual standard
I love Nat King Cole but this album was a real disappointment. He just seems to be going through the motions of making a Christmas album for his record company
Published 15 months ago by John Hall

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas just isn't Christmas without Nat., 3 Dec 2005
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
His effortless style and dulcet tones now epitomise Christmas for me. While Mel Torme may have written (and even recorded) the song that most people associate with Christmas and Nat, it’s Nat’s voice that really does it justice.
I love Christmas and have bought many ‘old time crooner’ albums, yet this compilation of Nat King Cole songs is my favourite by a country mile. It sometimes goes by different names, and is sometimes compiled by different companies, but the same 20 songs are the ones that Nat recorded in a one-off three-day session in July of 1960.
I like to play this when I’m wrapping presents or when the jostling of trying to buy them all in the first place has become too much and you’re almost all out of Christmas spirit. One listen and all of a sudden you remember the true spirit of Christmas – giving.
While I’m sure the reasons behind recording any ‘holiday’ material are entirely financial, this seems to reflect a time when it was less cynical, less self-serving and more innocent.

5.0 out of 5 stars This IS Christmas!, 9 Sep 2004
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
This is without a doubt THE BEST Christmas album in the history of Christmas albums! I can recall this album being played all Christmas for as long as I remember from when the tree went up until it came back down. It really reminds me of Christmases at home with my mum and dad which is why I'm going to definately be playing it this year as my first Christmas in my own flat. (I actually keep the album in my car all year round - just incase I feel festive!)"The Little Boy who Santa Claus Forgot" is a tearjerker whilst "I saw three ships" soon lifts your spirits. And as for "...Chestnuts roasting by an open fire"....aah - role on December! I'm going to put it on now....

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a cracker..., 1 Dec 2003
Mr. R. B. Ager "Ronald Ager" (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
Of all the Christmas albums on the market by Nat Cole and his cotemporaries, male and female, and there are a lot of them, this is by far the best.
Mostly traditional Christmas carols, with a couple of lesser known ones, and a sprinkling of contributions from Tin Pan Alley, of which Mel Torme's "The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting...)" is the best known and quite rightly sets the tone as the album opener.
They are all sung impeccably in Cole's inimitable style, deep and crisp as the proverbial snow, warm and mellow as your cup of cocoa, and with feeling enough to stir the coldest of hearts - I defy anyone to listen to "The Little Boy That Santa Claus Forgot" without getting a little moistening in the eye. Five tracks further on "The Happiest Christmas Tree" is two minutes of absolute froth, but even so may remind you, with a smile, of a passage in a well-known British TV sitcom of the '90s that used it to great effect.
Orchestral backing and arrangements of the carols, recorded in 1960, are by long-term collaborator Ralph Carmichael, and are gorgeous without being over lush or sugary. The other songs were recorded with various arrangers at other times going back to 1956; for clarity and tonal quality they certainly don't sound over forty years old.
A vintage Christmas album, by a real singer in the popular genre, ideal for playing at any time, but I suspect best in the evening.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEAUTIFUL CHRISTMAS CLASSIC, 13 Feb 2009
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
A beautiful must have album for Christmas. Adults and children in my family all love it. We have been looking for this album on cd for ages as we originally had it on cassette which was starting to wear out. It has become part of our Christmas tradition to listen to Nat's lovely velvety voice whilst opening our presents. All the songs are well known Christmas classics for example, The Christmas Song ( Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire), Frosty the Snowman, The Little Boy That Santa Clause Forgot, The First Noel, The Happiest Christmas Tree,Away In a Manger, Silent Night, and loads more, a total of twenty songs on this cd. Great value for money. Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars King of Christmas music, 2 Jun 2011
Dave H. (Scotland - UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
When it comes to nostalgic Christmas music there's no one to beat Nat King Cole. All the very best tracks are here. Cheap at twice the price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Traditional Christmas-pop at its best, 9 Sep 2009
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
Forever associated with The Christmas song, which he recorded in 1946 as leader of the Nat King Cole Trio, Nat recorded many more Christmas songs subsequently. This album contains his 1946 recording of The Christmas song, but most of this compilation is made up of tracks recorded in 1960, with the balance being made up tracks recorded in between those dates.

Nat's warm, easy listening voice is well suited to the classic songs that dominate this compilation including Deck the halls, Frosty the snowman (with supporting children`s voices), I saw three ships, O come all ye faithful, O little town of Bethlehem, O tannenbaum, The first Noel, Hark the herald angels sing, Joy to the world, O holy night, Away in a manger, God rest ye merry gentlemen and Silent night. Among all these well-known classics are a few lesser known songs including Buon Natalie, The little boy that Santa Claus forgot, The little Christmas tree, The happiest Christmas tree, Caroling caroling and A cradle in Bethlehem, all of which are well worth a listen.

This is the kind of Christmas music that you can play at any time during the festive period. It will serve as background or party music, but you can also enjoy it during those quieter moments.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not up to his usual standard, 22 Jan 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars nat king cole christmas album, 6 Dec 2012
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
this is the best christmas carol album, i would highly recommend it.
even my toddler thinks its great and sings along in toddler talk

5.0 out of 5 stars This is Christmas - Brilliant !, 17 Dec 2011
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
If this does not put you in a warm and cheerful Christmas mood - check your pulse - you dead !

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Christmas X-Factor!, 17 Dec 2011
This review is from: Merry Christmas (Audio CD)
Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without this offering from the 'King'. Musically, Christmas begins and ends with Nat. Have listened to this more years than I can remember. The kids wake up to it and open presents to it every Christmas morning. Listen and enjoy!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb68d0fd8)

Merry Christmas
Merry Christmas by Nat King Cole (Audio CD - 2007)