Format: DVDChange

on 16 December 2007
I had high hopes for this show which is written by Tony Marchant (The Mark Of Cain) but unfortunately they were dashed within about 15 minutes of the opening episode. The story is that BEN GRAHAM (Richard Coyle) and ALISHA COLE (Indira Varma) are lawyers at the same highly successful London firm. They witness a miscarriage of justice on their own doorstep and, instead of giving in to the temptation to look the other way, they speak out. However, by trying to do the right thing, Ben and Alisha suddenly find themselves on the other side of the law - enemies of the state.

This all sounds great however the drama moves at such a pace (normally a good thing in a thriller) that there is little time for characterisation or decent dialogue and you get the feeling they are just going so fast so you don't notice the yawning great plot holes that appear as they move from one far fetched situation to another. The final few minutes of the first episode in which they hold a press conference and stream video footage from a mobile phone of someone being tortured are laughably unbelievable.

This was meant to be ITV's answer to Spooks but it never gets close to offering the kind of thrills, intelligent writing and superb pacing that Spooks does. In short very disappointing.
11 comment50 of 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 January 2008
Better than average debut from a show I knew absolutely nothing about before purchasing. I'm in the U.S. so my t.v. culture is a bit different and I like to try out other things for relief. I tend to like the six episode (or slightly more) format that British shows offer as I tend to not like to feel as if I've been put thru so much filler for commercial time outs. I liked the overall idea of the show and the actors in it - Richard Coyle was brilliant in Couples (but crap with doors as it goes) and Indira Varma was a pleasant surprise even though I thought she was Preeya Kalidas from Bodies with a slight nose job. I don't have his name, but I especially liked the actor who played Kenny - here in America I'm sure someone would invent a drinking game around his appearances similar to someone downing a shot everytime Jack Bauer says dammit. The overall chemistry seems genuine and the storylines are well done however I do have two problems with the show. One, the show seems like it's trying too hard to be an American show. Too many quick cuts and scenes that rob the viewer of a better overall story picture. This ties in directly to my second problem with the show - the issues that are tackled in each episode are too big for a simple forty-five minute show. Each of the individual episodes could have been spread out and not been comprised. The first episode alone could have been the entire six-episode run if done right. Anyway, I did enjoy the show overall and if there is a second series I would check it out.
0Comment20 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 January 2008
I found this to be mildly diverting and entertaining! Despite a few poor reviews here and in the media, it's one of those you can put on and find yourself in good company. Yes, it has flaws with some of the writing regarding the characters, but they don't overshadow a good idea and it's nicely shot. This isn't something I'd rush back to, but it can sit on my shelf for a year or so and be worth another look.
It's very much of its time and for the time being that's not a problem.
on 27 November 2013
I bought this (and mostly all other DVD's) only if I know that subtitles are provided for. Unfortunately this item didn't contain subtitles, despite the fact that the product description informed me positively. So this item is more or less useless for me. Sorry about the complain, but these are the facts.
11 comment8 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 June 2015
Corruption and whistleblower's attempts to expose do need to be covered by drama but the task is challenging because most of the action is digital and not visually appealing to an audience wanting entertainment. The lawyers are implausible but their technical support is good. Maybe we need a spin off series with just him?
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 February 2008
Great and up to date drama. The stories are very believeable and are totally gripping. Aside from the lead characters - a real gem is Kenny who is a vital link to the success of the show. Do not be swayed by a few negative comments as this is cracking TV. The behind the scenes section is pretty standard fare. The set is a fab buy which is cheaper than a typical CD purchase. Cannot wait for Series 2 and I will buy it!!
0Comment7 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 January 2013
Tho' light entertainment with some stockdevices and characters, it sometimes touches on real issues in plausable and intriguing ways. You won't be disappointed if you buy at the price I did, anyway.
on 3 January 2013
another great tv show and a good cast well written i bought this dvd because im a fan of indria varma.ive seen worse out there i give this dvd 9/10
on 3 February 2014
Extremely disappointing - storylines were weak and implausible - acting was very average and we did not like either of the main leads - we'd had enough after one episode.
0Comment2 of 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 March 2009
whistleblowers is a change to the usual run of the mill series dot tot plot and follow the numbers characters ,a breath of fresh air in a tired genre