5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect desktop computer
Having just bought one of these machines for my family, I am think about buying them for my whole company at work!

This machine has four very good things going for it:

Published on 25 Oct 2007 by Nick D.

1.0 out of 5 stars Screen gradient problem
Published on 2 Feb 2008 by B. Kirchner

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect desktop computer, 25 Oct 2007
This review is from: iMac 20" Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz,1GB,320GB,SuperDrive (Electronics)

This machine has four very good things going for it:

1. It has the most user-friendly, visually-appealing and stable operating system out there. OSX Tiger was always a cut above Windows XP let alone Vista, but OSX Leopard is even better. So for the computing envoronment alone, this machine is a must.

2. The all-in one design is practical and simple. It makes the whole process of using a computer easy and enjoyable while leaving the workspace where you use it clear and uncluttered without un-necessary boxes and wires. The iMac fits just about anywhere, making it an ideal family computer to sit in the kitchen or a kid's bedroom.

3. The design isn't just cool, it is a work of genius. Yes, it looks attractive, but everything about its operation has been carefully thought out. I particulalry like the new keyboard. Ignore people who say it isn't good for writing long documents etc. It is fine. Do you honestly think Apple would release a keyboard that was ergonomically inept? I don't think so. Key feel and travel is on a par with any other top end keyboard out there. It just seems a little weird at first because it breaks the mould and itsn't what you expect. Also ignore criticsims about the reflective screen too. Just make sure the ambiant lighting is directed straight at the screen.

4. The technical specifications make this machine ideal for 99% of all uses and applications, including downloading music, managing photos, school pojects, MS Office, and surfing the web. It will also run games, although I have to say, as a parent, this was never a priority in buying such a machine for my family.

I was never an Apple fan until I started using a Mac Book Pro at the beginning of this year. Ultimately, my choice of system was driven by the operating system. Apple's OSX is quite simply mind-blowing. If you are not familiar with it, then you need to try it. It doesn't take much getting used to and is just so intutive, clever and a delight to spend time with. The fact that Apple also creates machines with very attractive and totally practical industrial design to go with their operating system is just a bonus.

Finally, having bought an iMac recently, I don't think I'm going to need to buy another computer for quite some time, which is more than I can say for last year's Dell, which is now little more than a useless piece of scrap plastic.

So, yes, fellow Amazonians, I thoroughly recommend you take a byte of the Apple!

4.0 out of 5 stars Gilding the lily, 17 Nov 2007
Amazon Customer "Boo62" (Ilkeston Derbyshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Lets get the obvious out of the way...it's an Apple so it's gonna be reliable, easy to use & a bit of a looker. There's also the fact that Macs new OS X Leopard is under the bonnet along with a brighter display & this is a must have upgrade right? Not really. If you have the older 20' 2.16 Ghz unit the truth is there is not much here to recommend an upgrade. Yeah it's true that this is far more attractive to the eye, you know all that 'recycled' anodised metal instead of boring old placcy, and yet...
I don't know quite why but this new model lacks the charm of previous ones. Read the previous reviews & believe them when they tell you that this display is waaaay too bright. You know when you stumble out of bed in the morning & plonk yourself in front of the screen to check you're mail,(c'mon I know I'm not alone here),? Well better get used to the searing pain as something akin to the floodlights at Wembly burn your retina's to the back of your head! The toolbar seems to shimmer as it flashes out at you. I think Apple my have overdone this whole brightness thing.
True enough the processing speeds are an improvement,(2.4Ghz now instead of 2.16), but the old unit was no slouch.
One item that really seems to be causing a bit of a stir is the new keyboard. As about as flat as you can get with keys raised just a couple of millimeters above a matching silver metal board. Some hate it, I love it. I find it easier to use & the easiest keyboard on the planet to keep clean,(the old one was the final resting place for every homeless bit of crud it could find),.
The new operating system is great and it's wireless networking ability alongside it's improved ability for timed backups is great but it's not the big step forward that Vista was for Microsoft. That's not to say I think that Vista can hold a candle to this, it can't, it's just that Apple really only needed a few adjustments to their OS. It wasn't broke so why fix it? Really that's the message for this new desktop too, the old one wasn't broken so not much has been fixed. If you have the older 2.16 20' inch & don't see anything in the new one you can't live without then don't bother upgrading, you really aren't going to see huge leaps for your money. Maybe try upgrading your RAMM memory if you haven't already done so,( this has also changed on the new model by the way, it can be upgraded to 4G instead of the old 3), or install the new OS perhaps if you think it has extra's you need.
If however you are in the market for something new & especially if you are toying with the idea of changing from a PC then put that 5th star on this review because you are in for a treat. I refer you back to the beginning of the review,reliable,(forget about virus's forever!), easy to use,(Macs are incredibly intuitive & unlike PC's a trip to the Apple shop if you're stuck is a rewarding & pleasurable experience), & Apple have a design team that leave all PC's looking shabby in their wake.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never going back, 30 Jan 2008
Steven Mcinally "Steve McInally" (Falkirk, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Had my iMac for 1 month now and I am truly delighted with the product. Was very close to buying a new top spec PC, but after some consideration, went for a demo at the local Apple Store to see what the hype was about.

Me and the wife considered what we used the home computer for and broke it down into the following:

1) e-mail
2) web surfing
3) digital photos
4) creating home dvd's (young family so lots of memories being captured at the moment)
5) music

With this in mind, the iMac ticked all the boxes straight away with its pre-loaded iLife package, which after the demonstration and consultation (they really did look after us in the Apple Store). We opted for this one (the 24 inch version was too big), and took it away that day.

The 1st week was painful as we had never used a Mac before in our lives so it was a relative leap of faith, but after using the help files and just going with Apple's extremely intuitive interface, we are now fully productive! I did buy the Mac OSX "Missing Manual" as a supplementary facility and this has been a very worthwhile purchase.

So, a month down the line and we are still smitten by its ease of use and its stunning good looks. Testament to its ease of use is that my 6 year old daughter is flying with it already and is completely comfortable with the interface (photobooth being her favourite application!).

Overall, I am now a full Mac convert and won't go back to PC's. I intend on buying a MacBook for my work soon, but will have to install VMware in order for me to run some windows applications, but I can live with that.

If you are sitting on the fence, take the plunge, we did and have no regrets. You won't be disappointed.

PS - Glossy screen can have a bit of glare when facing a window, but we just moved it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Why would you buy this machine ?, 29 Nov 2007
Because:
1. You would like a stable, reliable operating system that is easy to use and adapt - OSX is outstanding
2. You need applications that load quickly, don't freeze and close quickly
3. You appreciate fewer wires, cables and don't want to fiddle around under the desk in the dust and dark
4. You would like to use a single piece of technology for music, dvd, picture and radio in the home
5. You don't want to become an IT specialist so as to access the potential of your PC
6. mainly you want a piece of technology that is fun to use, does what is says it promises, is well supported with clear concise and coherent instructions and through those capabilities encourages you to explore the enormous potential that a Mac offers over a Windows based PC. for example, try ichat, iweb, imovie or the rest of the remarkable iLife08. Front Row is exceptional. Couple with Apple TV if possible.

You would not buy this machine if:

you were on a tight budget - they are expensive
you were worried by bright screens - a long day on the screen can induce a headache
you wanted to use the machine as the sole source of music..... Buy a decent set of speakers/streamer

buy one now, but use educational discounts for up to single digit % reductions in the prices.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb piece of kit., 17 Nov 2007
Joe (London, Uk) - See all my reviews
I upgraded to this recently after Leopard was released, transferring from a Powerbook G4. It is a brilliant piece of kit, incredibly fast and beautiful to look at. Yes the glass screen could become annoying if you have light reflecting onto it but you know that before you buy it so place it somewhere it won't! iLife 08 is fantastic and Time Machine is a brilliant innovation to.. So yeah I could go on.. Just buy one, great value for one of the best computer's out there and as a bonus you're proud to show it off, not hide it like a PC!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant machine, 28 Jun 2008
A. J. Parkes "sekrapa" (Dudley, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I have been using PC's for over 25 years and have had my own for over 15. I got to know the PC fairly well, but hated the big box and ugly leads sticking out. Laptops are great, but it goes get a little uncomfortable after a while working on one. The iMac was the ideal solution, if was an all in one unit that looked great and was a small footprint. It was some time before I finally decided to go for one, and since then have not looked back.

The OS is fast and seems more stable than Windows (although I had only a few setbacks with Windows). The machine seems faster at loading from cold, loading files and working on. The screen is large so you can have multiple windows open, the mouse feels good (yes, the new macs have a 2 button mouse, the mouse is pressure sensitive for 2 buttons although you can only see 1) and the keyboard is nowhere as bad as some reviews have said.

I put in my old external drive and the Mac asked if I wanted this as my backup drive. A quick format later and my computer was backed up to the external drive. Every hour the computer checks to see if there have been any changes since the last backup, and only copies those changes, so you have a full backup that is no more than 1 hour old.

My Canon Ixus (which suddenly stopped working with Zoombrowser under Windows) was found straight away and pictures were copied over into iphoto. From there you can alter any photo such as straighten, remove redeye, colour adjust etc, and after the change it saves another copy, so you always have the un-altered original copy.

My files from the PC were copied with no problems (the Mac saw the PC, but the PC could not see the Mac) via wireless, as the Mac has built in wifi and bluetooth. My phone connects via bluetooth and syncs with the calender and address book, and can save my phone camera photos to the computer in minutes.

My wireless network was seen straight away and asked if this was the network to connect to. Just enter the password and you are connected. My printer was seen straight away connected to the network and I just had to download a Mac driver from the company website.
This is the only sticking point I can see, as there are still far more PC's out there, Macs are a minority and to get the best out of certain products, you need better drivers rather than standard ones. Although my printer was working with the standard driver, the dedicated one made it possible to see the toner levels and drum condition etc.

After only 4 months, I find that the Mac is so easy to work with, it feels like its the natural way of doing things, rather than trying to coax it along. I would certainly recommend an iMac if you are thinking of getting one.

Although there are games for the Mac, it is not really a games machine. If you want to play games, I suggest that you buy a games console.

5.0 out of 5 stars 20" iMac is a winner!, 12 Dec 2007
I have used PCs for around 15 years - you get used to them, warts & all, but it is utterly refreshing to now be able to use a Mac.

The Mac is an absolute breeze to set up out of the box - no lengthy Windows registration and the like, just a couple of clicks and you're away. The Mac immediately found my wireless router - simplicity to connect - then we were surfing! Email is a doddle to set up - just tell the Mac your email address and email password, it then gets all necessary POP and SMTP settings automatically from your ISP. Bang! your email is now working!

The new Leopard operating system is very, very good - hook-up your (optional) external drive for back-ups and Leopard automatically knows what you've connected and sets it all up, without having to load any CDs or searching the net for drivers. Connecting your digital camera...? Easy with Leopard, it knows your camera and automatically gets pictures from your camera if you want it to.

Boot-up time is around 20 seconds (3 minutes + with my PC laptop!), and safely turning off the iMac takes 5 seconds flat! That's it.

Downsides...? None really, I suppose the built-in speakers are a bit weak but I've just bought some meaty plug-in speakers so that's no problem.

Sure, Mac's are not cheap by any means...but if you have the cash, are sick of your sluggish PC and fancy a change, take the iMac plunge. You won't regret it.

Update: After having used the iMac for 3 months now, I love it even more than before. Don't doubt them...just buy one! After a Windows PC you will be suitably refreshed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get a Mac - You'll Never Look Back, 17 Nov 2007
I've just bought this superb machine and no regrets.

I was a bit worried about the glossy screen and over bright display, given previous reviews. However lowering the brightness control a couple of notches makes it perfect for my eyes. I work in a bedroom/office which has window blinds and subdued overhead lighting. There are no reflection problems whatsoever for me, but this obviously may be an issue if the PC was located elsewhere.

I find the OS system (Leopard), excellent and easy to use. The Apple back up service looks good. I would strongly suggest you take a trip to your nearest fully fledged Apple store to talk to someone. You can even book in for a 'personal shopper' demonstration which will be geared to your requirements.

It also looks great by the way!

5.0 out of 5 stars Apple experience, 14 Jan 2008
After two months of ownership i have nothing but praise for the imac. My first imac was delivered faulty but apple arranged for a replacement to be delivered without any fuss.
Please be aware that ordering upgrades will extend delivery times by a week.
My replacement shipped with leopard pre installed (dec07 delivery) and the whole family are adapting from pc to mac without to many problems.
The screen is very bright but can be adjusted down. I don't have a problem with the gloss finish but if you back onto a window it might be a problem for you!
If your not sure take a visit to an applestore and book a demonstration you wont be disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Screen gradient problem, 2 Feb 2008
B. Kirchner - See all my reviews
I bought the 24" Imac that had a horizontal brightness gradient problem, i.e. the left side of the screen was much brighter than the right. I had it replaced but same problem was on new machine. At the Apple store the display machine had same problem and many are complaining about this issue on Apple's Imac discussion board. The 20" apparently suffers from a vertical gradient that is more noticeable than the 24"'s uneven screen.
Think twice if you intend to use this machine for professional graphics work.

My advice if you want to buy this: Check the screen consistency immediately using the light grey solid colour desktop. It should quickly reveal any problems and spare you the difficulty of replacing if you only realise 3 months down the line.

NB: I bought the 24" not the 20", however thought it worth highlighting this issue as no other reviewers have mentioned this.

iMac 20"  Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz,1GB,320GB,SuperDrive