on 29 December 2003
This wonderful musical is based on the opera Carmen and is easier to listen to than as an opera. The love songs are sung from the heart while the boxing and marching songs are sung with a lot of enthusiasm. The contrast in the two types of songs from boxing to love and the beautiful rendering of the love songs
makes this album a 'not to be missed'.
on 24 April 2009
Like my fellow reviewer, I love this record. I grew up listening to my Dad's old vinyl LP - my introduction to the world of classical music, if you like. I've since loved the original opera: got the music; seen it live etc etc
So it was with anticipation that I awaited re-acquaintance with a childhood favourite....
It's still a great take on a classic but the recording quality is decidedly medium wave (no top end, no bottom end, and the rest is distorted). I've heard better renderings of old wax - is this the best they could do with the master acetate?
11 comment12 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 April 2011
Carmen Jones original soundtrack. Reviews on Amazon can be confusing, so just to clarify this review is for the Delta music CD with the B&W picture of Dorothy Dandridge and Harry Belafonte on the cover.
This would appear to be 'Public Domain' taken from vinyl, the sound is ok if limited, I would take issue with the 'stereo sound' and 'digitally remastered'statements on the front cover.
I still have the original commercial cd release which although not great sound is a bit better.
However on the plus side, the art work is attractive, its very cheap, and at the moment seems to be the only one available. An alternative would be to buy the DVD, which has nice rich stereo sound.
on 28 November 2008
I loved this forty years ago when I wasn't even into double figures and still do now as I approach fifty. Back then it was the centre two songs - "beat out a rhythmn on a drum", and "stand up and fight" that really drew me to my Dad's vinyl album. To me they are still the high points of the soundtrack but I have now embraced the others (though I am still somewhat cool towards the ending - still too immature emotionally to appreciate it I guess).
These are songs that will get inside your head and keep playing there until you need to listen to the CD again and again and again.
Even better once you have the pictures from the film in your head too.
on 1 July 2009
This reminds me of growing up, as my parents loved this musical. These songs will get inside your head and your find yourself singing loud, you might get a few strange looks, but it's rousing, uplifting and just a joy to listen to.
on 26 September 2011
DISHY HARRY BELAFONTE WAS EXCELLENT IN THIS FILM- HAVING A VERY TURBULENT RELATIONSHIP WITH DOROTHY DANDRIDGE AND THE SONGS IN IT - ESPECIALLY PEARL BAILEY SINGING BEAT OUT THAT RHYTHM ON A DRUM WHICH WAS BRILLIANT, PROMPTED ME TO BUY THE CD OF THE SAME NAME. GREAT.
on 29 November 2000
The music allows you to enjoy all the excitment of the classical score but in a modern and timeless way. Everyone will recognise the tunes and I am sure will be strongly affected by the powerful voices of the original Broadway cast. I'm sure anyone who hears it will be humming along with it. If you like musicals and enjoy classical music it's a must for your collection. From start to finish the words and music reminded me of the days when real talent counted.
on 27 December 2013
I know, I have strange tastes in music..... and I might have been inclined to sneer at this sort of thing. BUT it introduced me to opera in the early 60s for which I am eternally grateful. It's an odd product, and sometimes not a little patronising. But I enjoy it. Happy days.
on 5 April 2014
CD in good condition. Music is as I remembered, quality of the recording is not great compared to what is expected these days...but it's a very old film track, not a studio recording.

I'd be interested to hear a modern high quality performance but can't find one.
on 15 April 2012
Along with other reviews this was my fathers favourite and music I was brought up on. sadly, the music does not bring back the loved ones but it helps refresh the memories so on that basis I recommend this without reservation.