5.0 out of 5 stars Ticks all sorts of boxes...
There are many key ingredients to having a successful debut album, and on Matinee Jack Penate seems to have included all the best ones.

Published on 16 Nov 2007 by Robbie Swale

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, but "Everything is New" is better
I'd not heard of Jack Penate until I caught him on the BBC's Glastonbury coverage whilst waiting for Franz Ferdinand to come on.

What I heard caught my attention and I bought this CD as a result. It's good and I recognised some of the tracks from his live set, but the real stand outs are on his second album, which I later bought, which has an altogether more...
Published on 5 Sep 2009 by M. Saxby

5.0 out of 5 stars Under £2!, 2 Feb 2013
This review is from: Matinee (Ltd Edition) (Audio CD)
I bought this for a mere £1.89 and it is absolutely amazing! Really catchy tunes and can't wait to get out and drive to the beach whilst listening to this great album!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected Pleasure, 30 Dec 2011
K. Spence (london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Matinee (Ltd Edition) (Audio CD)
Brought this album along with the follow up from Amazon as it was so cheap I thought, Why not I've only paid a fiver for both. Well blimey O'Reilly what a little scorcher. Usually debut albums are a little all over the place with style as it's songs the Artist has been playing for a while, usually the songs are good, but the production lets them down, Radiohead's Pablo Honey and Carter USM's 101 Damnations spring to mind. But Not this album, not only is it packed full of great tunes the production is tip-top too. This is definately my find of 2011.
I advice all Indie fans to buy this Album, for less than £2 it's a steal

5.0 out of 5 stars A breath of fresh air!, 22 Feb 2008
R. Loten (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Matinee (Ltd Edition) (Audio CD)
What a great album, haven't been able to stop playing it since I bought it. Seriously upbeat pop/rock, there's not a bad tune on this album. His live persona really comes through in this album.
Keep up the good work!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a mix!, 8 April 2009
This review is from: Matinee (Audio CD)
I loved this album. There was a bit of ska, almost reggae and pop music all mixed up. Atleast one track could be described as indie, and I am sure I heard some swing notes. It is a great, happy little album.

5.0 out of 5 stars FAN EFFING TASTIC, 13 Oct 2008
Mr. M. AYRES "mayres1975" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Matinee (Audio CD)
I will not go on about this album, I heard it once round a mates house, bought it, and with out doubt this is now one of my all time fav albums, catchy, excellent lyrics and instantly lovable :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Ticks all sorts of boxes, 9 Nov 2007
Robbie Swale - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Matinee (Audio CD)

Through his distinctive voice, with it's regular forays into the falcetto and London twang, and the fast-paced jangly guitars, Penate definitely creates his own sound and makes his songs instantly recognisable. Whilst some might prefer lyrics to be more abstract, Jack's words are more than a little Dylan-esque in their starkness and clarity, if not necessarily in their complexity, particularly when he is busy being observational.

And with a distinctive voice and good lyrics, what more do you need? Well of course, no debut album can truly be a success without great songs. And it is here that Jack Penate really excells. My favourites are the 4, 5, 6 sequence. Torn on the Platform, probably the stand out track and clear choice for first hit single, shows a love for home that anyone can identify with. Next comes Learning Lines, which I first heard when I saw him play in a pub on Pentonville Road two years ago. Learning Lines (particularly in the 'secret' version which comes after the end of the album) is a very distinctive song, especially when placed here amongst the jingle-jangle of most of the rest of the album, and the vocal is brilliant. Probably my favourite song is Run For Your Life which gives us, through an infectious beat and bouncy chorus, a little taste of Jack's views on the more violent aspects of human nature!

All in all, this is an excellent debut, and perhaps the final key ingredient - and one that ensures success - is that it is really enjoyable to listen to. The songs can bounce along in the background or be listened to up close. They are great lound and quiet, and they inevitably bring a smile to my face.

One thing that becomes fairly clear as you listen to this is that Jack Penate has a very bright future ahead of him.

4.0 out of 5 stars Summer Tunes, 1 Jun 2009
C. Patten (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Matinee (Ltd Edition) (Audio CD)
Such a happy album this, very good listen, especially when relaxing or driving in the sunshine. Good summer buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars PURE PENATE!, 2 Oct 2007
J. Cole (St Albans) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Matinee (Ltd Edition) (Audio CD)
This album has it all and real depth. It varies from the more soulful aspects in the tracks 'Learning Lines' and 'Got My Favourite' to the more upbeat guitar style in 'Spit At Stars' and 'Second, Minute or Hour'. This album will put a smile on your face no matter what! Do I see a possible Mercury Awards Nominee next year? I should think so!

Definately worth every penny and go and check this guy out live! What a performer!

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST Album of the Year, 8 Oct 2007
This review is from: Matinee (Ltd Edition) (Audio CD)
I LOVE EVERY SONG ON THIS ALBUM YOU CANT STOP DANCING WELL WRITTEN AND GENERALLY BRILLIANT!! LOVE IT . THANKS

5.0 out of 5 stars An album that doesn't disappoint (in my eyes), 24 Dec 2007
This review is from: Matinee (Audio CD)
Well after getting the album the day it came out I stuck it straight into my CD player eagerly awaiting what this album was to offer, I have seen Jack Penate many times before the release of his album, so to no suprise was there alot of songs I had heard before, with the small difference between these album versions and the EP versions. There are however some songs which I was not as readily available to download which make a appearance on this album, with 'Have I been a fool?' the highlight of these songs, although heard before I was unable to get a hold of the song before this album release, after months of listening, I still feel this album is as refreshing as it was when I first listened to it, however, I do say this as my opinion only, with consultation with some iother friends I have they don't feel the same way and having listened to Jack Penate as long as I have they feel that it just doesnt have the feel it used to and have become easily bored with this album. I feel if your an old time fan of Jack Penate you will love this, but be aware you wont feel refreshed with new material, also, if you have just heard Jack's single releases and love them this album is sure to be one you will love.

Matinee (Ltd Edition)
Matinee (Ltd Edition) by Jack Penate (Audio CD - 2007)